GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

will the movie suck?! probably, will i buy a new shirt, probably not, will i invest money in the new props? probably not (though the slimer hood ornament i think is awesome) but seeing the 3 original cast in the same movie, im going to go just to see them in their new roles

im still curious to see if that other GB movie is still in the works, the one with chris pratt

"Chewie . . . we're home."

Not at all the same thing, as Episode 7 is, well, "episode 7" in a series. The returning actors are reprising their original roles. Neil is correct to point out that Feig's reboot - intentionally separate, a beast all its own - is an unfortunate steaming pile of references to the original films. They're cramming in cameos of Aykroyd, Hudson, Murray, Annie Potts, the firehouse, Slimer, winking at 30-year-old dialogue, referencing lyrics from the original theme song... The list goes on and on. Why the mandatory push to make something "new" (and I use that term extremely loosely) if you're going to go out of your way to reference the original every chance you get? This project is creatively bankrupt by its nature.

"Chewie . . . we're home."

oh come on...
that one is different. that is a direct sequel. plus, it's been said that the movie focus more on the new characters, so i'm guessing it's more of a passing of the torch thing.....

in a reboot that was supposed to be so grand and different as to veer drastically away from what made it popular, only to have to rely on the original actors returning for cameo's that barely last 20 seconds each? I'm going to have to agree with the quote on that one ;o).

Ok... there have been many remakes that really sucked really bad (worse then the original film), here's a short list... Clash Of The Titans (Harryhausen ws still the best), Karate Kid Even Jackie Chan couldn't help Will Smith's son's acting), The Bad News Bears (Billy Bob just didn't hold a candle to Matthau and all of the spontinaity was gone in the remake), Arthur (Russell Brand was totally wrong for that role), Conan the Barbarian (I'm sorry, as much as I liked Jason Mamoa in Stargate Atlantis, he just isn't Arnold), Fame (Even the cameo of Debbie Allen didn't save this film garbage), Planet of the Apes (I'm sorry Wahlburg... you are no Heston), and of course... Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (C'mon... Johnny Depp made Wonka seem very gay to me and even Gene Wilder wouldn't touch this one... and when did Oompa Loopas become clones?). So basically, you're looking at a not too good track record for movie remakes... and Hollywood just hasn't caught onto this idea yet. They figure "Hey, the original made us tons of money, let's just remake it and make even more!" but that's not the case. If they just continue the stories instead of trying to reboot and revamp them, it would be so much more accepted and they would make... that's right... more money... even if it wasn't really good it would still be more accepted then a reboot! You can reboot comic book characters and it's fine, they did it all the time IN THE COMIC BOOKS (How many times did they change Superman's storyline? Now they are talking about making Thor a woman, REALLY?)... but when it comes to iconic fan driven films like GB, Star Wars, Back to the Future, etc, it just cannot and will never work! (I'm still trying to figure out why they always have to have a new Enterprise whenever they make a new Star Trek movie... that always upset me).

Take it easy guys. I'm not saying this movie doesn't look weak. It does.

But old cameos are not evidence of that per se.

It's not just cameos. Even if it were though, the sheer number of them (see the partial list above, including more than just actors from the originals) demonstrates a disproportionate amount of running time being used to call back to what came before. It becomes awfully hard to pretend that this is "something new, for a new generation" when you need to be so familiar with the original to fully understand or appreciate every other joke.

Neil, your habit of looking for people smiling may have been less off-base than I'd thought. Just heard a few more nightmare stories about working on this project from someone who worked it front to back and was desperate for it to end.

Neil, your habit of looking for people smiling may have been less off-base than I'd thought. Just heard a few more nightmare stories about working on this project from someone who worked it front to back and was desperate for it to end.

now i'm curious ;o)... I hope it was because feig is a buffoon just trying to wish his way through this production rather than put any planning into it.....but that might be too hopeful ;o).

I actually can't help but wonder just how happy Feig himself is. I mean, let's bear in mind that, while unenthusiastic, he went into this with at least some kind of vision that was different from what came before in more than merely superficial ways (e.g., chinese restaurant instead of firehouse). Yet, with all these cameos, I can't help but wonder just how much we're seeing the studio's hand in this, and especially after Amy Pascal's departure. Let's not forget that Feig's initial deal was signed with her. While the contracts had to be honored, the spirit behind the contracts can easily be ignored. So how much of this is the result of Feig getting a ton of notes about the production from the studio, saying "Saw the dailies. Needs more callbacks to the old film," based solely on the shift in leadership at Sony.

If that's the case, then I wouldn't be surprised if Feig isn't having much fun, either. He'll put up a professional front because (A) he seems like (mostly) a fairly standup guy, and (B) he knows where his bread is buttered and who holds the knife. But he may end up decrying the production years down the road. Who knows.

What I know is that the firm conviction that the old series had to be jettisoned seems to be...a bit muddled these days, and the production is -- like so many reboots before it -- having a hard time finding its unique identity that distinguishes it from the previous iteration, while also maintaining the spirit of the previous one. Instead, you're getting a lot of ******* callbacks and cameos, which strike me as such low-hanging fruit that you might well trip over it.

Yeah, this seems like standard-issue remake problems. Hire somebody who doesn't want to remake your old show, and he will end up trying to turn your own show into what he would really rather be doing. The end result pleases nobody.

.. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I liked the post for this.

You could easily argue that this was actually a successful movie, and you'd probably be right. I know plenty of people who prefer it. I'm just not one of those people and I like seeing that I'm not alone. The worst is when they say that Depp is "Darker" than wilder. It makes me think they haven't seen the Gene Wilder version recently. Wilder has the ultimate 'crazy eyes'. Depp always seemed like an actor playing "dark and mysterious" while Wilder's Wonka actually struck me as someone who sneaks out at night to go on child murder rampages. Seriously look at Wilder during the boat scene sometime. I do like Johnny Depp a lot as an actor, but Gene Wilder is kind of his own category.

I actually can't help but wonder just how happy Feig himself is..

also, is this the first time he's actually worked on a major FRANCHISE, let alone one that's been around 25 years? he's used to building his own universes, not working in the confines of someone elses. that aspect of it might be new, too. you also have reitman and aykroyd trying not to let the whole project get away from them, and probably fighting as much as the studio to get things done their way.. I wonder if that part of the project is getting to him too.

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/ghostbusters/249335/ghostbusters-paul-feig-frequently-asked-questions

another day, another pointless article. how to drive click baiters to your site without even trying.

Last edited:
You could easily argue that this was actually a successful movie, and you'd probably be right. I know plenty of people who prefer it. I'm just not one of those people and I like seeing that I'm not alone. The worst is when they say that Depp is "Darker" than wilder. It makes me think they haven't seen the Gene Wilder version recently. Wilder has the ultimate 'crazy eyes'. Depp always seemed like an actor playing "dark and mysterious" while Wilder's Wonka actually struck me as someone who sneaks out at night to go on child murder rampages. Seriously look at Wilder during the boat scene sometime. I do like Johnny Depp a lot as an actor, but Gene Wilder is kind of his own category.

Burton makes dark-looking movies that don't feel dark.

Burton makes dark-looking movies that don't feel dark.

I put Burton in the same class as The Cure.
Both have a reputation for being GothicDarkBrooding, but the majority of their stuff is really colorful and a lot of fun.

(and I agree about Willy Wonka - unnecessary reboot if there ever was one)

Hong Kong Phooey Seargent Mode.

'Oooh! Oooh! ooh!'

could this be a photo from the musical dance number?? Look at all those ghosts in period clothing!
12075093_1056731051034154_3776681309937799688_n.jpg

Is there really a musical dance number in this?

I can almost respect that. It's definitely a very high risk move. A ballsy departure from the original. I kind of feel like that's the triple Lindy (see Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School): it can save you if you pull it off, but almost no one can really pull it off.

I put Burton in the same class as The Cure.
Both have a reputation for being GothicDarkBrooding, but the majority of their stuff is really colorful and a lot of fun.

(and I agree about Willy Wonka - unnecessary reboot if there ever was one)

Burton isn't too bad... and I understand that he wanted to actually make the movie more along the lines of the book. He did that... but Depp making Wonka so effeminate was just a little over the top and out of character and the same guy playing all the Oompa Loompas wasn't a good idea. That was an effect that really wasn't necessary or believeable. Burton has had some great movies, but Wonka wasn't one of them!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back