Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

I see they covered the logo to make it look frozen.
Since NYC has plenty other firehouses, at least one, maybe more that look just like this one....I wonder if those others feel jealous over not getting the attention like this one does because of the film?
432552506_10162026450957922_3110153082450845247_n.jpg

431873778_10162026451037922_9012579776591834950_n.jpg

Saw it last night at an early screening. No spoilers, it's an fun ride of a film. Good stuff. At the end of the film I genuinely felt that the future of the franchise is very bright and that the people involved are making the right choices. Kids were dancing in the aisles when the credits kicked up, which made me happy that yet again, a new generation is in love with something I loved so much when I was a kid. Just a fun film, scary in parts, hilarious in others. Loved it.

Just got back from a screening (it was so much fun!), so here is my attempt to answer the burning questions, behind spoiler tags. I am providing NO plot or character spoilers. Trying to keep things in the context of this thread only.

• Janine's handheld neutrona wand is barely shown at all, and no explanation is given. It has no pack. We see it used once to tear apart a paper target. It was fine.
  • The main villain ("Garaka") is ABSOLUTELY a candidate for Tobin's Spirit Guide, but for plot reasons, it is important that he not be found in the Guide. I think he should be left out.
  • Yes, Winston did Bruce-Wayne the tech...within reason. It fits nicely.
  • Tobin's Spirit Guide is not referenced in the film at all.
  • There are many replica-worthy props in the film, some tied to the lore of Garaka.
  • Not only are there new packs, but there's a particular mod for the old pack that folks will want to replicate!

Happy to answer other questions if they are relevant. :)
Go see it!

Last edited:
Just got back from a screening (it was so much fun!), so here is my attempt to answer the burning questions, behind spoiler tags. I am providing NO plot or character spoilers. Trying to keep things in the context of this thread only.

• Janine's handheld neutrona wand is barely shown at all, and no explanation is given. It has no pack. We see it used once to tear apart a paper target. It was fine.
  • The main villain ("Garaka") is ABSOLUTELY a candidate for Tobin's Spirit Guide, but for plot reasons, it is important that he not be found in the Guide. I think he should be left out.
  • Yes, Winston did Bruce-Wayne the tech...within reason. It fits nicely.
  • Tobin's Spirit Guide is not referenced in the film at all.
  • There are many replica-worthy props in the film, some tied to the lore of Garaka.
  • Not only are there new packs, but there's a particular mod for the old pack that folks will want to replicate!

Happy to answer other questions if they are relevant. :)
Go see it!
Totally agree. Just saw it and loved it.

Note to disney and lfl.....that is how you bleeping do it! Pass the torch, respect the history etc.

Mckenna Grace is going places. She is just fantastic. The heart and soul

Saw this Friday with some of the Colorado Ghostbusters and some thoughts…

Sean

The last movie I saw prior to FE was Dune 2, so perhaps my expectations were a bit skewed given the epicness (is that a word?) of Dune, but…

In general, I enjoyed the movie. It’s a fun, entertaining, popcorn flick. Some fun new gadgets, some good comedic moments, a couple nostalgic throwbacks for fans of the OG, and some setup to establish a foundation for the future of the franchise.

A few things I didn’t particularly like:
  • Some sloppy production - for example, you can very clearly see some stunt props in various shots, and it’s a bit distracting.
  • Contributions from the original cast - while it was great to see them on screen together, not really sure what their purpose was other than to attract fans of the original movie. With the exception of Ray, none of the original characters really did anything to drive the plot forward. One could maybe argue Winston and his company were behind a lot of the new tech, but that might be it? Murray’s appearance seemed to be limited to landing a few one-liners.
  • Not going to mention names, but I am personally a bit tired of the comedic actors who go on these long-winded diatribes of dialogue in an attempt to eke out a few laughs. In some cases, these characters steal the show. In other cases, such as GB: FE, I find them distracting and out of place.
  • The movie felt like an elaborate TV episode, IMHO. I don’t think it was a bad movie, but it didn’t feel as “big” as Afterlife…if that makes sense.
  • And was it me, or did Ecto 1 look like it was moving kinda slow…? Even the cars are getting old
What I liked:
  • Call me a sucker for the nostalgia trap, but I enjoyed seeing some of the old characters from the original movies.
  • The concept of the Engineering Corps, Winston funding R&D to continue developing GB technologies - cool stuff with lots of potential!
  • McKenna Grace continues to carry this franchise, IMHO, with some help from Rudd. I really enjoyed her performance, continuing on with the awkward Spengler elements while diving into a few deeper emotional pools. I think she’s going places.
Overall, I’d give it a 3 out of 5.

Ok what was the deal with Phoebe’s teeth, it looked like she was wearing Invisalign’s the whole movie or something.

I wanted to love this but there was kind of too much going on. The containment unit overflowing was a cool idea. But it was almost unrelated to the whole Garraka thing and an issue regardless, and the only solution they came up with was move them over 7 years to the new one until it blew instead? Also isn’t it still cracked?

And despite having too much going on it still managed to feel dragging in places. Loved everything with Ray.

Last edited:
Ok what was the deal with Phoebe’s teeth, it looked like she was wearing Invisalign’s the whole movie or something.

I wanted to love this but there was kind of too much going on. The containment unit overflowing was a cool idea. But it was almost unrelated to the whole Garraka thing and an issue regardless, and the only solution they came up with was move them over 7 years to the new one until it blew instead? Also isn’t it still cracked?

And despite having too much going on it still managed to feel dragging in places. Loved everything with Ray.
Honestly, the second new storage invokes some of the behind the scenes ideas presented for the production of the original Ghostbusters film, where it was proposed that the containment unit at the Firehouse was meant to be a temporary storage location and that there was a larger off sight containment storage unit at a different location (think of it like the difference between a local jail and a state prison). But, they scrapped that idea probably due to costs and allowed for changes in the story that made sense (Peck turning off the containment grid and unleashing the ghosts in a near apocalyptic event). But, them not taking into account containment overflow makes sense, as Ray pointed out in Afterlife that the hauntings got thin (probably due to the destruction of Spook Central, which was designed to draw in supernatural energy), so they never really had the issue of overflow. Add in almost 40 years of time the Ghostbusters haven't been active and the amount of deaths during that time, it probably brought the activity back up to how it was in 1984. Winston clearly anticipated the idea that the containment unit would get full, but he probably didn't expect it to be so soon.

I got a chance to watch the film. Was it great as Afterlife? Not really. Was it okay? Yeah, I certainly enjoyed it. Was is still a thousand times better than 2016 Ghostbusters when it comes to plot and characters? Hell yeah.

My girlfriend and I went to see this yesterday and it was ok. It felt like this film took one step forward and two steps back compared to Afterlife.
Afterlife took the Ghostbusters and started to move the story along without over reliance on the original 80s actors. This film felt like they had to have all of the original cast back for no real reason other than they set this one in New York. With the exception of Ray the other cast members were superfluous and we're likely the contributor to the film feeling overly long and the pace feeling at times slow.

The opening chase scene was fun and the addition of the drone trap made sense given the ghosts aren't limited to hovering 2 feet above the ground all the time.

I can suspend disbelief that there are ghosts but poor writing took me out of the film at times.
Things like Phoebe being given plot armour to survive going into the spirit extractor. Why wasn't her spirit neutralised and flushed away as was demonstrated on the other objects? Because the plot needed it to happen, which is weak writing.

The Spengler's had been living in the attic of the Fire Station for 2 years and only now they found him.
On that same note, Slimer flew through the Stranger Things kid and left ectoplasm in his mouth presumably because it's an open space, by that same logic any internal space within the body would also be filled and he would have had 2 massive pleural effusions and quickly suffocate. I know this was meant as a throw away gag for the kids but it wasn't logical.

It took a long time for the bad guy to turn up given the 2 hour runtime.

Phoebe's "plating" of her proton pack was not plating, the way she did it was more like fondue dipping and those components would have been completely solid with the melted brass. I know they did this to make her the hero but it was clumsy and relies on people thinking that is how you plate something with metal.

There seemed to be some weird disconnect between the bad guy being freed and then taking an absolute age to get to the fire house despite being in the city. For some reason he went out to sea to kill some time to allow the story to plod along.
I know they mentioned the Firehouse was on some kind of Nexus point which is why the bad guy was heading there, albeit slowly, but he didn't need the other ghosts in the tank for an army as he proved capable and enough of a threat without them so it seemed a bit pointless to have Melody seduce Phoebe into helping her. That whole side plot and Winston's new facility actually helped unleash the bad guy.

When the physically cracked open thick metal tank under the fire station was emptied to allow the baddy guy to be trapped, how did it magically close itself when the bad guy was sucked inside? Did the metal somehow welded itself back together? Even if it did that wouldn't have fixed whatever internal parts were generating the proton field to actually contain any ghosts within.

Does New York keep a lot of large stone Lions spare?
Phoebe turned the possessed Lion statue to rubble with the proton pack in the motorbike's side car, yet at the end of the film just after everything and everyone was thawed out there was the intact statue back on the plinth outside the library.

For me, I'd say this was at best a 6/10, fairly enjoyable at times but I doubt I'd watch it again.

I liked the original films but don't consider myself a superfan. I think fans will get more out of this film than I did and that's great, I am the same when it comes to Marvel.

Last edited:
I loved this movie but want the next film to be less focused around Phoebe and I want more actual Ghostbusting. I would like it to go a bit smaller scale too. Not every film needs to be about saving the world. I'd love to see them busting or investigating in another country or location. Maybe a haunted mansion or farm or something. Have it have some mystery and suspense and some good genuine scares.

I can suspend disbelief that there are ghosts but poor writing took me out of the film at times.
Things like Phoebe being given plot armour to survive going into the spirit extractor. Why wasn't her spirit neutralised and flushed away as was demonstrated on the other objects? Because the plot needed it to happen, which is weak writing

While I largely agree with most of your comments, I have to push back on this one. Phoebe programmed the machine to run the specific way she wanted. Specifically, keep the extractor on for 2 minutes, turn the proton field off on the collector and not run the flusher.

I have bigger issues with that scene.

While I largely agree with most of your comments, I have to push back on this one. Phoebe programmed the machine to run the specific way she wanted. Specifically, keep the extractor on for 2 minutes, turn the proton field off on the collector and not run the flusher.

I have bigger issues with that scene.
Fair enough.
Bit it did seem rather convenient that there were all those options available given that the machine's purpose is to dispose of ghosts. Also the process looked highly dangerous and probably wouldn't be something you would voluntarily climb into.
You wouldn't climb inside a giant microwave or a giant oven or a nuclear reactor but she climbed into this machine with barely a second thought like it was fairground ride and everything would be fine.

Fair enough.
Bit it did seem rather convenient that there were all those options available given that the machine's purpose is to dispose of ghosts. Also the process looked highly dangerous and probably wouldn't be something you would voluntarily climb into.
You wouldn't climb inside a giant microwave or a giant oven or a nuclear reactor but she climbed into this machine with barely a second thought like it was fairground ride and everything would be fine.

Yeah, that was a bit cavalier for something that had never been tested on something living. Then again, "That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me".

My problem is in relation to it being Garakkas plan in the first place. Once he's out of the brass room, he can control and communicate with ghosts to a limited degree from inside the ball. He gets deposited at the research facility, and finds out about the ghost extractor the same time as the audience. Now was that before or after Phoebe met Melody? When did Garakka recruit Melody? How did he know it would work the way it did (with Phoebe's mouth still being able to talk)? also Phoebe jumped to "I'll become a temporarily become a ghost" really fast.

I expected the recording that Podcast made of the record cylinder to come back into play, but it didn't.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back