Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Project: The Largest Ever

Thanks guys! I am hoping for more updates shortly!

By the way, yes, I am a real doctor in real life (believe me, it's not anything to brag about). Well, I worked the ER admissions shift on Halloween day, and we got approval to dress up and I did...

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/BlueJays82/WorkGB_zps91238a8e.jpg

I am officially the first medical doctor (and most likely the last) to dress up in gear to work! They wouldn't let me take my proton pack, but I wouldn't have wanted to anyway. Needless to say, the patients that I saw loved it, and I even went to see a lady on the floor who was not doing well - she perked up when I came by and ended up being stabilized right then and there by yours truly and is doing great.

Who ya gonna call? Dr. Adam!
And God bless you! Being a doctor is something to brag about. At least you're not a lawyer... ;)

Hahaha, well thank you! But yeah, I still won't brag...my job is rarely as exciting as most people probably think (it's only exciting when something happens when I'm out in public and someone needs immediate medical attention...which has actually happened to me twice). And yeah, I'm glad I'm not a lawyer!

Great update and way to start the New Year off! That was pretty cool wearing your GB costume to work on Halloween too. There was someonee who had a signature on here a looong time ago that, while paraphrased said, "I do this for the smiling faces wearing the costume brings." or something to that effect in regards to costume wearing. In any regards I find it very true.

Thanks guys! I am hoping for more updates shortly!

By the way, yes, I am a real doctor in real life (believe me, it's not anything to brag about). Well, I worked the ER admissions shift on Halloween day, and we got approval to dress up and I did...

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/BlueJays82/WorkGB_zps91238a8e.jpg

I am officially the first medical doctor (and most likely the last) to dress up in gear to work! They wouldn't let me take my proton pack, but I wouldn't have wanted to anyway. Needless to say, the patients that I saw loved it, and I even went to see a lady on the floor who was not doing well - she perked up when I came by and ended up being stabilized right then and there by yours truly and is doing great.

Who ya gonna call? Dr. Adam!

Gotta say awesome work on the car - definitely looking great! And why not brag about the long hours and crappy pay for jnr docs ;) Managed to dress up in a spiderman suit once but that was thanks to working in child and youth mental health - cause hey sometimes laughter IS the best medicine :D!

Hahaha, well thank you! But yeah, I still won't brag...my job is rarely as exciting as most people probably think (it's only exciting when something happens when I'm out in public and someone needs immediate medical attention...which has actually happened to me twice). And yeah, I'm glad I'm not a lawyer!
Hehe... cool, I'm glad I'm not a doctor. :p

(Premed was one of the great snoozes of my life...)

The progress continues, and this time with some big steps forward.

First, a friend of mine managed to track down another Ferno-Washington model 22 cot, which is needed for the proton pack rack...

This one is in better shape than the one I already have, so it'll be the primary pack rack.

Next, here's a look at the exhaust headers in their finalized state...SHINY!

Now on to the BIG progress steps...

First, the rear bumper fit the car decently, but there was just a slightly larger gap than there should have been between the chassis/rear quarter panels and the bumper chrome. The mounting bracket required modification, a trial-and-error process until the fit was correct. As with everything before it, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:

There is supposed to be a little gap as pictured...so psyched!

The BIGGEST step of all for this update is what has me the most excited. The drip rails for the car were not originally on my car as it was a Landau hearse without any of the side windows behind the suicide doors. I had acquired the window moldings and window glass from a super nice guy and he brought me the drip rails from the parts car he was pulling the stuff from. I pictured them previously - they did not fit perfectly as they were a NIGHTMARE to get off of the car and bent in certain places. So, they had to be built...

Cutting the drip rails...

Shaping the drip rails...

INSTALLING THE DRIP RAILS... (YES!!!)

The best part about this step: the rear window moldings and windows can now be installed!

And with that, I am off to start planning another trip to California to see my baby before she comes to Pennsylvania...it shouldn't be long now!

Another update...

The passenger side drip rails are now installed! Check it out:

Now that they're installed, it's time for the window installation process to begin (very exciting!). Just for giggles, a test-fitting was performed without the rubber etc. in place just to be sure it will fit...surely enough:

HELL YES!!!

It's been almost 4 years since I bought the car...finally it's becoming an ambulance with the correct windows. The wait has been well worth it.

Great work, when do you think the car will be ready for paint. 6 months? A year?
All your progress so far has been executed with exceptional dedication. Congrats:)

I would love to have it ready for paint sometime this summer...sometime in July perhaps if everything goes well. It won't be painted until the body modifications for the roof are complete and it is here in Pennsylvania as we are permitted to use higher quality paint than California allows (something about environmental protection...).

I would love to have it ready for paint sometime this summer...sometime in July perhaps if everything goes well. It won't be painted until the body modifications for the roof are complete and it is here in Pennsylvania as we are permitted to use higher quality paint than California allows (something about environmental protection...).

Those EPA guys are always messing up Ghostbusters stuff! :)

here in Pennsylvania as we are permitted to use higher quality paint than California allows (something about environmental protection...).

California is has mostly switched to water born paints. The colors are vibrant but I can see them not working for an Ecto replica. They just don't have the same look as traditional lacquer paint. The car looks terrific.

Hey again everyone!

I've got some more photos for you. First, the lower trim pieces along the bottom of the windows from the rear passenger doors to the back of the car have been fully restored and finalized for installation.

I know they're hard to see...but here's a close up of one installed...

Now that those are done, the window installation process continues, now on the driver side. Take a look at these...

Now, imagine that you were a proton pack mounted in place on top of the proton pack rack gurney. Why do I propose such a ridiculous thing? Well, because this is the view you'd have:

Oh, and as you noticed in the one photo, if you're as obsessive compulsive as I am, there is a little bit of a gap between the window molding and the rear of the car, which I have labeled for those of you who missed it.

That will be fixed, of course. When I brought it up with my friend who is working on it, he said:

"These kind of issues don't happen with a normal 'restoration'. Your car seems to have one-of-a-kind problems."

In regards to the quote, I LOVE IT. He has never gone this far with a car in all of his years of experience, and he says he is just really happy that I'm so excited and committed to it.

The project is really coming along now. I will post more epic photos as I get them and have time to pick out the highlights. Thanks for following this project!

I'm very envious, and excited for you. This will be an amazing show quality piece. Keep it up, and thanks for the updates.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back