Game of Thrones

1373840241-0.jpg

Good heavens. Late to the party, I just got done watching the three seasons for the first time yesterday and I don't think I slept well thanks to those damned 9th episodes. The Red Wedding was rough :cry

I can't decide now if I want to read the books or wait until the show is over so I don't spoil myself. I'm sure the Red Wedding hit me a lot harder because it came out of left field for me, but I knew Ned was going to eat it and that was still pretty rough to watch too. Now that I accidentally spoiled another thing I kinda want to read up and see where it goes, but at the same time I don't.

Though since the tv show is likely to be finished before GRRM cranks the last two books out the choice may be easier to make ;)

Good heavens. Late to the party, I just got done watching the three seasons for the first time yesterday and I don't think I slept well thanks to those damned 9th episodes. The Red Wedding was rough :cry

I can't decide now if I want to read the books or wait until the show is over so I don't spoil myself. I'm sure the Red Wedding hit me a lot harder because it came out of left field for me, but I knew Ned was going to eat it and that was still pretty rough to watch too. Now that I accidentally spoiled another thing I kinda want to read up and see where it goes, but at the same time I don't.

Though since the tv show is likely to be finished before GRRM cranks the last two books out the choice may be easier to make ;)

No... I knew how and when the Red Wedding would go down and I was still absolutely destroyed by it. The show is starting to be different enough from the books that although it would spoil the major plot points of the narrative, there will still likely be plenty of surprises for you.

Okay, stupid question (and apologies if it's been asked already). GRRM is already so freaking slow churning the books out now that he's told the producers the gist of what's going to happen in the end in case he dies or just doesn't finish the books before the show reaches that point. So why are they slowing him down by having him write an episode a season?

"George, why don't you write us something new instead of adapting your own work for the show?"

Okay, stupid question (and apologies if it's been asked already). GRRM is already so freaking slow churning the books out now that he's told the producers the gist of what's going to happen in the end in case he dies or just doesn't finish the books before the show reaches that point. So why are they slowing him down by having him write an episode a season?

"George, why don't you write us something new instead of adapting your own work for the show?"

He's already given the show runners his notes for upcoming volumes and told them what's supposed to happen, so even if he doesn't finish the books (gods forbid!), the show can continue on from those notes.

Which I acknowledged in my post.

Don't think it's a good reason for them to say "Sure George, who cares about your next book actually getting finished? We'd love you to rewrite your own material, but for a tv budget."

Excerpts from an interview with GRRM which might explain this a little. Also, bear in mind, he's spent the last 20 years or so working with these characters. Every writer needs to work on something new now and then or they'll come to resent the hell out of the characters and the writing will suffer.

There's a danger of doing only one project, to the exclusion of everything else, and getting stuck in a rut or whatever.

There has to be a level of joy of what you're doing.

You actually said once you don't enjoy writing, you enjoy having written.

Yeah. Which is not original again with me either. A lot of writers have said that. But writing is hard. I mean I sit there and work at it.

Boy, there are days where I get up and say "Where the hell did my talent go? Look at this crap that I'm producing here. This is terrible. Look, I wrote this yesterday. I hate this, I hate this." And I can see a scene in my head, and when I try to get it down in words on paper, the words are clunky, the scene is not coming across right. So frustrating. And there are days where it keeps flowing. Open the floodgates, and there it is. Pages and pages coming. Where the hell does this all come from? I don't know.

I had, very early in my career, even before I was a professional writer — I'm going back now to my fanzine days in the 60s and 70s — I was very prone to starting stories and never finishing. I'd have some great idea and I would start a story, and I'd write a few pages, five pages, ten pages, and it would never be as good as when it was in my head. It was this incredible thing, I put it on paper, and it was never as good as I imagined it to be. Then I'd think of some other idea, and I'd go, "Yeah, that one would be really magical." And I'd put aside the half-finished one.

One of the big breakthroughs, I think for me, was reading Robert A. Heinlein's four rules of writing, one of which was, "You must finish what you write." I never had any problem with the first one, "You must write" — I was writing since I was a kid. But I never finished what I was writing. [I realized] I gotta actually finish these stories. It does me no good to have this drawer full of fragments. And always be chasing the next idea, which is so much better, so much more beautiful, so much more entrancing then the idea that you're actually working on.

So, I started finishing things. And I'm bound and determined to finish Ice and Fire.

The whole interview is here and I highly recommend it. It's got some pretty interesting stuff in it. No spoilers that I can think of off-hand.
George R.R. Martin: The Complete Unedited Interview

Cool interview.

Half serious question anyway. Having GRRM write episodes is cool, but with the schedule slip of the books some probably want to chain him to the computer and not let him do anything but Song stuff. I did consider the working on something else to get the juices flowing angle, just for me rewriting bits I've already done wouldn't do it for me. If it works for him, great.

Cool interview.

Half serious question anyway. Having GRRM write episodes is cool, but with the schedule slip of the books some probably want to chain him to the computer and not let him do anything but Song stuff. I did consider the working on something else to get the juices flowing angle, just for me rewriting bits I've already done wouldn't do it for me. If it works for him, great.

No, I tend to agree. Believe me, I LOVE the world of Westeros and I really want him to finish up the books so I can completely sympathize. Unfortunately, as a writer, I can also see his side of things.

Cool interview.

I know I do. He has way too many side projects on his plate right now to be spending his time writing episodes although, in a way, it makes a lot of sense since he got his start writing for TV. Ironically, it was because he got tired of writing for TV that he got into writing novels for a living and that was sort of how he started A Song of Fire and Ice. He really needs to stop his work on Wild Cards, the Games of Thrones/Song of Fire and Ice coffee table books, atlases, etc., Game of Thrones scripts and just work on finishing the damned books.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back