Game of Thrones

Attacking King's Landing first thing would definitely be a foolish move, at the very least she'd need time to rest her troops from the voyage, then work out strategies for taking Westeros, or at least King's Landing and figuring out how to best use her different troops to their best advantage. Then there's the matter of setting up her logistics, an army that large is going to need a lot of food and water and not to mention fodder for their horses, and don't mention 3 fairly large dragons that need to be fed regularly. All that would be much easier to accomplish if she first landed somewhere she could sit quietly without worry of being attacked as soon as she came ashore and making friends with families not fond of the Lannisters and/or Cersei personally would go a long way to providing her with the logistical support she needs as well as the quiet place to rest and train her troops. I'm certain that this is something that both Tryion and Varys would advise and Olenna would approve of, who knows, Olenna could offer Tyrell lands as a base camp for Dany and her armies. The only problem with camping in/around Highgarden is that it's clear on the other side of Westeros from King's Landing, although that would keep her from being noticed by Cersei, even if that means a long march across Westeros to reach King's Landing. Alternately, there's always Dorne, also far from King's Landing and a slightly shorter march to King's Landing with the benefit of allowing her to meet up with Dornish troops before setting off for King's Landing.

Dorne presents a decent locale to marshal your forces, mostly because it's defended by a region of mountains to its north, and is otherwise surrounded by the sea on all sides. There's an area in the northeast that borders the Stormlands where you might take a few hits, but the Stormlands are leaderless (at the moment) without any Baratheons (again, barring some random cousin) to rule from Storm's End.

The problem with Dorne is that a lot of it is desert or at least not particularly well suited to massing a large army. The land can't support vast numbers of troops. And while the Unsullied and Dothraki combined probably number around, oh, 12,000 or so, to also bring in the Dornish forces (which we should assume number upwards of 50K if brought together in full) would mean that you're putting a lot of strain on the region while everthing gets mobilized. The Reach is a much better position in which to mass your forces. From there, you can sail up the Mander and attack King's Landing from the land (although that requires you to cross the Blackwater, which is problematic). But, the Reach also allows you to march north to Casterly Rock and take out the Lannister base of power.

Make no mistake: Cersei's strategic position is incredibly weak. This is a big part of why Littlefinger is actually pretty well positioned to get at least half of his wish (sitting on the iron throne himself). Cersei has almost no allies to support her rule. She's got wildfire and holds the capital with Lannister troops, but the Crownlands surrounding it have no particular reason to be loyal to her. She has the Lannister forces led by Jaime, but otherwise, she's got basically nobody.

The North is a complete wash and has been since the War of the Five Kings. The Vale has shut up its gates until recently, and now supports the North. They won't be riding to her rescue any time soon. (Plus, it's a long ride from Winterfell...) The Riverlands are nominally sworn to Littlefinger, and/or the Freys, but with Walder dead and his most competent sons dead, too, the Riverland lords need have no great loyalty to anyone who claims to rule them. For generations, they were sworn to the Tullys. You might see some opportunistic lords back whoever's currently in power, but I wouldn't count on their undying loyalty. The Stormlands, as mentioned, are a mess. They were loyal to the Baratheons under Renly and Stannis, but with no more Baratheons, who will they follow? Not Cersei. That's for sure. They'll keep to themselves. That leaves the Reach, which has now declared for Dany, and Dorne, which just did the same and anyway were always against the Lannisters. All she has is the Westerlands -- Lannister lands -- and control of the capital.

Her days as queen are numbered, and that number is not a high one.

I think a lot more time had passed than what you might think between the scene in Dorne with Oleanna, Ellaria and Varys and the scene with Dany setting off to Westeros. At least several months.

I figure Varys brokered the deal, then sailed to Mereen with whatever ships they got from Highgarden or Dorne while Dany's army spent time preparing to leave and putting things in order in Meeren. They just cut out all the boring stuff in between.

it's also possible they did not sail out of slavers bay, but maybe marched to Volantis or some other place closer to Westeros' mainland to cut the ocean voyage shorter. If they crossed where Myr is there is only a few hundred miles to sail across the sea and they can use the step stones to give the dragons a break from flying etc...

http://amapoficeandfire.com/home/

There's no reason to march to Volantis. You have to cross some pretty inhospitable land to do so, and Volantis won't support that many troops. Better to sail directly to Dorne or the Reach, in my opinion. I think what happened is that Highgarden sent some ships, Dany loaded her troops, and they're headed to Westeros. I think it took a while, which gives the Iron Islanders time to build new ships and attack them on the sea, but also gives time for Varys to return (on, say, a Martell or Tyrell ship, bringing others with him), report to Dany, and then load up the troops and head to Westeros.

DAnd while the Unsullied and Dothraki combined probably number around, oh, 12,000 or so, to also bring in the Dornish forces (which we should assume number upwards of 50K if brought together in full) would mean that you're putting a lot of strain on the region while everthing gets mobilized.

I think she has closer to 20K troops under her immediate command. I think there were 10K unsullied in the beginning. Sure she's lost some, maybe 1000. And that Dothraki horde is several Kalissahrs (sp?) combined. She had to have killed 10 Khols in that fire.

That makes it even less hospitable for her in Dorne, though. If The Reach is Westeros' breadbasket, then that's where you set up your mega-army. Particularly given the cavalry requirements. You'll need a LOT of grazing area, and Dorne ain't exactly full of good grass. The Reach, though, can let the horses get fat and happy before they ride off to war.

It's also possible that Dany could launch a two-pronged attack, one at the Lannister powerbase in the Westerlands, and another directly at the capitol in King's Landing.

In all honesty, I think she could take King's Landing relatively easily...depending on how much destruction she wanted to/was willing to cause. Cersei won't last long in a siege, I think, and Frankemountain is only one zombie-ogre. He can't be everywhere at once.

Of course, Dany's conquest of the southern parts of Westeros and Jon's rule as "King in the North" still sets up a further conflict where the north and south must unite to fight the forces of Winter.

The smart thing would be to simply leave King's Landing alone for as long as possible, isolate it, blockade it and let Cersei starve. Of course, that depends on just how good their intel is and just how popular Cersei is with the people of King's Landing. I suspect that she's probably not the most popular person there and her run in with the High Sparrow and her Walk of Shame probably didn't help with her popularity or credibility for that matter. While I'm sure that Cersei will be trying her best to spin the attack on Baylor's Sept and play up the death of Margaery there it wouldn't surprise me at all if we find out that the majority of the suspect at least suspect Cersei as having a hand in it if not perpetrated the attack herself.

Anyway, once King's Landing has been cut off from the rest of Westeros they're no longer a threat, capital or not and as soon as other lords are either defeated or swear to Dany the easier King's Landing becomes to take. Knowing Cersei, she'd probably try some desperate and foolish tactic to try to either win or give Dany a Pyrrhic victory but she'd be either stopped by Jaime, her troops rebel (possibly led by Jaime), the people rebel and nobody carries out her orders and take over the Red Keep itself, or a combination of all 3.

Well, that's just it. I think that's very possibly the exact state we're in now. Jaime alluded to the Freys' weakness in ruling the Riverlands, so that's them out. The Vale and the North are gone, but weren't much to count on for support anyway. The Stormlands haven't been a factor for a while, either. "The realm," such as it is, basically consists of the Crownlands and the Westerlands now. With winter here, and the Reach no longer supplying food, the Crownlands will slowly starve. If Dany cuts the Crownlands off from the Westerlands (easier to do, given that the only paths between them go through the Reach or the Riverlands), then Cersei's done.

That said, from what I can tell, Cersei's military forces consist of the Lannister army under Jaime, and the Goldcloaks. That's it. One or two good battles, and they're done. Probably just one, when you factor in the dragons. I think King's Landing would be relatively easy to take. Dany can bide her time, or go right for the kill.

I suppose the show will play some of this out, if it depicts ambitious lower-level lords backing Cersei, or staying neural. Dany will have to restrain her urge to conquer everyone/make them swear to her -- in other words, reject neutrality -- but if she can do that, then she can effectively let folks remain neutral until she secures the throne, and let them bend the knee thereafter. But in all honesty, I don't see Cersei's power really growing much. If anything, it's on the wane.

I think we'll basically see Dany do what Jon Connington does in the books. She'll land the bulk of her forces somewhere in the Stormlands, then most likely march to the Reach where she can establish an HQ at Highgarden for now. Her ships will most likely have to begin engaging whatever fleet Euron has amassed and deal with them.

Also just read this interesting article about Jon Snow. I think it raises some good points about his character and personally I hope there is some display of how he's changed otherwise he should suffer a similar fate to Ned and Robb.

http://www.slashfilm.com/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-problem/

I think we are greatly simplifying Dany's journey to Westeros. Before she can do anything, she has to get there. Who knows what untold damage Euron's fleet will wreak. Everything points to him being the most feared man on the water. And just because we haven't seen or heard of the horn on the show, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If he can turn the dragons, he could put a serious hurting on Dany's armada.

v1mlvuQ.gif

Depending on how good Cersei's intelligence sources are, she might know about Euron, and try to get his support. Which may not be a lot, but could be better than nothing.

The Iron Bank certainly understands that if the Baratheon/Lannister dynasty falls, they're not going to be able to collect from the next person to sit on the Iron Throne, so conceivably they *could* be of some assistance, or they may decide to take the hit and cancel Cersei's credit card. (They did make a loan to Stannis, after all.) We don't know the details of Mace Tyrell's visit to Braavos, but IIRC he left singing, so he may at least have thought the trip was a success.

The only other force right now is north of the Wall. Certainly Cersei wouldn't be so crazy as to think of them as any sort of ally... hopefully. Though she might be willing to help them destroy Westeros, just to outdo the Mad King...

Here's an embed of that vfx reel:

[video=vimeo;172374044]https://vimeo.com/172374044[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Would they try to take the iron islands?

Sure they would, it's part of the deal. They gave dany the use of the boats of the iron island they fled with. Also any knowledge of what they know about over in westros. In exchange the iron islands would be returned to glory with a female ruler. Plus kill off their uncle that's after them. Likely dany would take it after she is set at kings landing and the death of the lannisters.

Sure they would, it's part of the deal. They gave dany the use of the boats of the iron island they fled with. Also any knowledge of what they know about over in westros. In exchange the iron islands would be returned to glory with a female ruler. Plus kill off their uncle that's after them. Likely dany would take it after she is set at kings landing and the death of the lannisters.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant BEFORE they hit the mainland. As an area for staging.

I think we'll basically see Dany do what Jon Connington does in the books. She'll land the bulk of her forces somewhere in the Stormlands, then most likely march to the Reach where she can establish an HQ at Highgarden for now. Her ships will most likely have to begin engaging whatever fleet Euron has amassed and deal with them.

Also just read this interesting article about Jon Snow. I think it raises some good points about his character and personally I hope there is some display of how he's changed otherwise he should suffer a similar fate to Ned and Robb.

http://www.slashfilm.com/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-problem/

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant BEFORE they hit the mainland. As an area for staging.

It's been a while since I read it, but Connington had good reason to go to the Stormlands with "Aegon." His homeland -- Griffin's Roost -- is located there. Plus, although the Stormlands are still under Stannis' control, and Stannis has yet to die in the books, he's also not there to rule them. If memory serves, Connington comes ashore with the Golden Company supporting "Aegon." However, they're only about 10,000 men strong, so they need to raise more men if they're to win all of Westeros for Aegon. By taking a few counties in the Stormlands, particularly with the support of a former Stormlands lord himself, they might be able to raise more troops. Moreover, neither the Reach nor Dorne have declared for "Aegon." In fact, nobody has, other than the Golden Company (themselves all nominally Blackfyre supporters, although the Blackfyres are all dead -- unless "Aegon" is actually a Blackfyre himself, I suppose).

Dany, in the show, is in a different position. She has no rason to land in the Stormlands. The Reach has ports to the southeast. Dorne's borders are actually mostly coastline (although, the land itself may not be enough to support several khalasars plus the Unsullied). The Reach has rich farmlands that can support a huge army. And, both the Reach and Dorne have declared for Dany, so she shouldn't face any real opposition there.

As for the show's "Jon Snow problem," I think the real issue is that they haven't (yet) shown Jon really learning from his mistakes. Jon can be allowed to win. There's nothing wrong with that, and the show doesn't need to always have the good guys lose. But for Jon to win, he has to learn to conquer his own demons or recognize and try to work around or avoid his own shortcomings. The show hasn't done that yet, and it was most on display with Jon's foolish behavior in the Battle of the Bastards.

His character seems ready to turn a corner, but hasn't yet. I would hope being named King in the North might prompt him to carefully examine his own behavior and that of Robb.

Also, I meant to mention this earlier, but is anyone else troubled by Jon being named King in the North and just...accepting it (so far)? I certainly am. I mean, ok, Jon can be King and Sansa can be Lady of Winterfell, but Jon needs to carefully manage things going forward. And Littlefinger won't be any help in that regard. Although I suspect he'll end up finding himself on the sharp end of Longclaw before too long.

Now that we've seen the two most hated characters in the show, if not in all of TV & movie history, who do you think is next and how are they going to get their just desserts? Personally, I think that the last 2 "villains" left on the show are Cersie and Littlefinger and both are probably going to get it by the end of the show. Like everybody else, I think that Cersie is eventually going to get offed by Jaime after she tries to pull a Mad King or something else that's just one step too far, or maybe even after trying to have Brienne killed. Littlefinger will probably be killed by Sansa, directly or indirectly, and in some dramatic fashion but not in the same slow agonizing way as Joffrey or as brutally and gruesome as Ramsay. I can see him dying as a result of inaction by Sansa, something threatens his life and Sansa is in a position to stop it but she doesn't but he won't plead and beg once he realizes that Sansa isn't going to help and, in fact, probably go out with a bit of a smile on his face knowing that he taught her well.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back