Game of Thrones

Jon and I are no longer friends after that cock up of a battle. I can forgive the initial rushing in because Jon is stupid and doesn't always think before he acts. However, what I cannot forgive is him and all those seasoned warriors standing there with their thumbs up their collective asses, allowing the Boltons to take their time setting up a shield wall around them.

And FFS, where is WunWun's club that he was using earlier?!

So good... Jon was screwed... he's standing in a crowd of wildlings, surrounded by organized soldiers. They just shat themselves and huddled. Deer's in headlights.

I'm guessing (?) Sansa knew she had little finger ready to go, and didn't let Jon in on it as he would have lead them into the Ramsay "Trap" of doing what Ramsay wants. So let Jon do exactly what Sansa thought he would do, then come at them with little finger.

Could have pulled the trigger a little earlier though.

Oh... and after my legs stopped shaking and I got a good time to think about the events, I realized there is going to be a moment pretty soon where Arya shows up at Winterfell, all assassin'd out, and will be reunited with her sister who's now all BAD-ASS.. and I'm going to weep like a baby.

As a weird little side note - my wife was not nearly as anxious as me watching this... then I found out a little secret she kept from me.

The studio she works at did a bunch of the battle scenes, and she already saw the scene of Jon Snow punching the smirk off of Bolton's face during dailies.

So she knew how it ended.

Thankfully she knows not to spoil stuff for me - but I couldn't figure why she was so relaxed when she's usually a total mess.

Thing is is that a shield wall is effective BUT not backed by spears or pikes. The advantage of leverage would go to the defenders, IE yank the spears out of their hands or go under and up, the front line negates the spears and the guys behind literally climb over them and start hacking away. The reason the Romans were so effective is they used the shield wall with the Gladius, they'd just start marching and stabbing, try to grab the sword and lose your hand, don't move and get shived. Alas the world of Westeros doesn't have a concept of the short sword, The Unsulllied would be 3X as dangerous if they had short swords and tactics. it's all Longswords and ******* Swords. Give me a Roman Legion, and in a straight up battle I'd **** any army in the 7 kingdoms.

A shield wall is every bit as effective backed up by pikes or spears as it is by swords, shield walls were traditionally used in conjunction with spears and pikes because they give a longer reach than swords. With the notable exception of the Romans no military force before guns became the norm relied on swords as their primary weapon, they were always sidearms, secondary weapons to be used if the primary was lost or broken, even in the case of the Romans the gladii weren't broken out until everybody had thrown their 2 or 3 pila first, then and only then would they break out their gladii. Also, in the case of this particular battle, don't forget that the shield wall pretty much enclosed Jon's forces, they were surrounded by the shield wall on 3 sides with a corpse wall at their back and the shield wall increasingly shrinking the space around them. This meant that they would keep on losing space and would be pressed in more and more by the spears of the shield wall and even if they grabbed the spears of the first rank, the spears were long enough that second rank could stick anybody grabbing a spear or a neighbor could stab a grabber.

One other thing, a bit pedantic I'll admit but there's no difference between a longsword and a ******* sword, both refer to the same thing which is a sword with a lengthened hilt so it could be used with either one or two hands but still had a blade that was the same length or maybe just a bit longer than a typical one-handed sword. What you're probably thinking of as a long sword is called an arming sword, which is the classical knightly sword commonly seen in many movies set in the medieval period. This video talks a bit about what a longsword is and how it differs from a one-handed arming sword: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJrqK5xCpWI

Last edited:
13450076_10157111096480074_4860218937184423571_n.jpg

How many people died because Sansa didn't tell anyone that she sent for the Vail solders. They could have waited until reinforcements showed up instead of going in down 2 to 1. I would be pretty POed if I was Jon.

They never showed onscreen if Sansa even knew they were coming, so that could be one reason why she didn't say anything to Jon. However, if Jon had stuck to his own plan and waited for Ramsay to make the first move, when the knights of the Vale finally showed up, it most certainly would've saved the lives of most of Jon's army. As it currently stands, it doesn't seem like he has much of a force left. What is he going to use to fight the Night King and his army of wights? Also, where the hell was Ghost?

Thing is is that a shield wall is effective BUT not backed by spears or pikes. The advantage of leverage would go to the defenders, IE yank the spears out of their hands or go under and up, the front line negates the spears and the guys behind literally climb over them and start hacking away. The reason the Romans were so effective is they used the shield wall with the Gladius, they'd just start marching and stabbing, try to grab the sword and lose your hand, don't move and get shived. Alas the world of Westeros doesn't have a concept of the short sword, The Unsulllied would be 3X as dangerous if they had short swords and tactics. it's all Longswords and ******* Swords. Give me a Roman Legion, and in a straight up battle I'd **** any army in the 7 kingdoms.

A shield wall is every bit as effective backed up by pikes or spears as it is swords, shield wall were traditionally used in conjunction with spears and pikes because they give a longer reach than swords. With the notable exception of the Romans no military force before guns became the norm relied on swords as their primary weapon, they were always sidearms, secondary weapons to be used if the primary was lost or broken, even in the case of the Romans the gladii weren't broken out until everybody had thrown their 2 or 3 pila first, then and only then would they break out their gladii. Also, in the case of this particular battle, don't forget that the shield wall pretty much enclosed Jon's forces, they were surrounded by the shield wall on 3 sides with a corpse wall at their back and the shield wall increasingly shrinking the space around them. This meant that they would keep on losing space and would be pressed in more and more by the spears of the shield wall and even if they grabbed the spears of the first rank, the spears were long enough that second rank could stick anybody grabbing a spear or a neighbor could stab a grabber.

One other thing, a bit pedantic I'll admit but there's no difference between a longsword and a ******* sword, both refer to the same thing which is a sword with a lengthened hilt so it could be used with either one or two hands but still had a blade that was the same length or maybe just a bit longer than a typical one-handed sword. What you're probably thinking of as a long sword is called an arming sword, which is the classical knightly sword commonly seen in many movies set in the medieval period. This video talks a bit about what a longsword is and how it differs from a one-handed arming sword: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJrqK5xCpWI

So, I was thinking about this, and you both have good points.

The Roman legions were indeed effective with the gladius, although as Riceball points out, they usually threw several pila first. Even if the pila didn't kill the enemy, they were heavy enough to often penetrate armor or an enemy's shield, and even if they didn't kill the holder, the haft was heavy enough that it usually just fell down and bend the pointed metal portion so as to weigh down an enemy's shield. In other words, the pila were alternatingly good at killing and removing protective shields from enemies, thereby making them more vulnerable to the gladius.

HOWEVER

The Greeks and their phalanxes were plenty effective in the ancient world, and were basically a shield wall with really long spears. Although they too carried a short sword for backup, they primarily relied upon spears to kill enemies. Of course, they also used other types of troops rather than just phalanxes, like archers and light infantry (and maybe chariots?). My understanding is that the ancient world didn't really have "heavy cavalry" the way armies from the middle ages on did (as in armored knights and horses using lances or heavy swords.

We saw why you can't just grab an enemy's spear in the episode, too. One of the wildlings tried to, and got poked by the spear of the guy right next to the one he'd grabbed. Same story with going up and over or trying to get in under the spear.

To break a phalanx, you'd need to do one or more of the following:

- Soften them up with archers ahead of time. Of course, if they adopt a testudo formation, you're boned.
- Soften them up with ballista or catapults. Basically "artillery."
- Flank them with lighter, faster troops because the phalanx formation is really slow to move (makes sense if you're trying to wheel a man-sized shield and a spear that's anywhere from 10' and up.
- Us the pilum method I noted above to strip away the shields.

The way I see it, the real problem with the battle last night was that, while it was visually spectacular, it was tactically craptacular. Jon's army....made no sense and had no real composition to it. It had a mass of wildlings, whom I suppose could be considered light infantry. It had a small cavalry force, not really worth mentioning. It had a small archer force which eventually was thrown into battle as light infantry (which, again, makes not a ton of sense).

They opened the battle with a cavalry vs. cavalry charge, followed shortly thereafter with a light infantry charge. Again, makes zero sense. The cavalry smashed themselves against each other, and Ramsay had more of it, so could afford to lose it. That kills Jon's mobility, which would've been key later. The light infantry get taken out by Ramsay's archers, although, that too made no sense. Like, I could see a CARPET of corpses, but not a HILL of corpses. The only way the HILL makes sense is if the terrain is so narrow (e.g. a mountain pass) that you can't just step around the bodies. Or perhaps if the battle was being fought in some sort of bowl, where Jon's troops gave up the high ground, which, again, is bloody stupid. But it wasn't. It was just a big open field, with a pile of bodies as tall as a man. So that part was confusing to me. Then after all of that, Ramsay sends in his phalanx, except it's not quite a phalanx because it's too wide. But whatever. At this point, the precise formation doesn't matter a ton, because Jon's pissed away his forces on a pointless charge that would've gotten any professional soldier court martialed. He then gets encircled because, again, nobody can seem to figure out that they should walk AROUND the giant hill of bodies. And Ramsey apparently sent in an infantry force that climbed over the hill of bodies? To kill the dudes at the back?

WHY BOTHER?

Like, why not just wait on the other side? Do you have an idea how hard it would be to climb a hill of bodies? ******, you'd break an ankle trying easily. Especially dead bodies, slick with mud and blood and excrement and some dudes who aren't even fully dead. Once any exhausted stragglers get to the other side of the hill, THAT'S when you just kill 'em off.

So, again, visually stunning and spectacular...but when you start thinking about it....really kinda dumb. And about as realistic as having an elf slide down an elephant's trunk while shooting at orks with his bow and arrow.

As for the military technology and tactics....I think we're firmly into "FANTASYLAND" material. Most of the northerners seem to wear nothing but boiled leather and occasionally chainmail. I guess they use all their "castle forged" steel for arms themselves. And for that part of the world, arming swords and longer swords would be, you know, fine. Hell, the ironborn seem to only wear padded clothing most of the time, or at best, boiled leather. The farther south you go, the more you see the use of chain and plate mail in the armor, so, I would expect to see much more reliance on crushing weapons. Now, to be fair, this is an EXTREMELY common issue with depictions of medieval warfare. Everyone's using a bloody arming sword, which, unless you could reliable get to a joint (especially an armpit or groin) is pretty much useless. Even then, you'd still find some chain mail protecting the joint, so you'd need a piercing weapon, like a rondel. The rest of the time, you'd expect things like warhammers and maces and morning stars and flails. Or polearms like bill hooks so you could knock/pull a mounted knight off a saddle and kill him on the ground where he'd basically be a tortoise on his back. Otherwise, you'd just have two guys in full plate, whanging away at each other with swords, and not really doing much but getting the odd concussion and gradually going deaf from the impact of all those blows.

And the thing is, in this world where "cavalry" apparently means "Some dudes on horse with open-faced helms, light-ish armor, and a spear or arming sword," we've already seen that heavy cavalry should exist. How do we know this? Because of the tournament in season 1. What the hell do people think tournaments were, anyway? They were opportunities for the nobles to play at war, so as to keep their skills up. And they went up against each other in full plate, with lances, which is pretty much....your heavy cavalry. But do we see it? Nope. Never. Most likely due to budgetary issues.

Anyway, I still love the show, of course, but it's such a random hodgepodge of armor and arms and bad movie tactics and strategy that it's best to just not think about it.

How many people died because Sansa didn't tell anyone that she sent for the Vail solders. They could have waited until reinforcements showed up instead of going in down 2 to 1. I would be pretty POed if I was Jon.

I get the impression that she didn't know for certain that Littlefinger and the Knights of the Vale would show up and that's why she didn't say anything more than that he should wait until they had more troops. Had she known for certain that Littlefinger would show up I'm sure that she would have told Jon to just wait a little longer until he showed with reinforcements.

Anyway, I still love the show, of course, but it's such a random hodgepodge of armor and arms and bad movie tactics and strategy that it's best to just not think about it.

I enjoy much the same way I can enjoy "dog fighting in space" like in Star Wars etc...

You just throw the real world out the window

As for the military technology and tactics....I think we're firmly into "FANTASYLAND" material. Most of the northerners seem to wear nothing but boiled leather and occasionally chainmail. I guess they use all their "castle forged" steel for arms themselves. And for that part of the world, arming swords and longer swords would be, you know, fine. Hell, the ironborn seem to only wear padded clothing most of the time, or at best, boiled leather. The farther south you go, the more you see the use of chain and plate mail in the armor, so, I would expect to see much more reliance on crushing weapons. Now, to be fair, this is an EXTREMELY common issue with depictions of medieval warfare. Everyone's using a bloody arming sword, which, unless you could reliable get to a joint (especially an armpit or groin) is pretty much useless. Even then, you'd still find some chain mail protecting the joint, so you'd need a piercing weapon, like a rondel. The rest of the time, you'd expect things like warhammers and maces and morning stars and flails. Or polearms like bill hooks so you could knock/pull a mounted knight off a saddle and kill him on the ground where he'd basically be a tortoise on his back. Otherwise, you'd just have two guys in full plate, whanging away at each other with swords, and not really doing much but getting the odd concussion and gradually going deaf from the impact of all those blows.

Northerners seem to favor not so much leather armor but coats of plates, basically metal plates sandwiched between layers of leather, a pre-cursor to brigandine (same concept but with larger plates), which in itself was a pre-cursor to plate armor. However, I have to question the spacing of the plates the Northern coat of plates, the spacing seems to be pretty wide making somewhat easier to get a blade or an arrow into the gaps, but at least it's something and definitely better than nothing. What's really odd is the armor that Ser Davros seems to be wearing, which was nothing more than a gorget, and possibly a leather one at that, not a whole lot of protection and not much better than nothing since it doesn't protect much more than the top of your shoulders and your clavicle.

As far as men in plate falling off of their horses and becoming tortoises, that's an old myth that's completely untrue. Even by the time they developed full plate that completely covered a man in head to toe steel with barely a gap anywhere they still could mount their horses on their own and if knocked down, get back up on their feet on their own. Back before Henry VIII had his jousting accident it was said that he could perform cartwheels in his armor because plate armor is always fitted to it wearer and is actually lighter than a modern infantry combat load with the added benefit of being distributed all over your body instead of just on your torso. But you are right in that by the time plate armor started to really take off the use of the arming sword by knights and men at arms had largely fallen to the way side in favor of poll axes, long swords, and impact weapons like maces. Since you couldn't cut through plate, or even mail for that matter, the idea then became to either punch holes in them, pierce into the gaps in the joints, or crush the armor and hopefully either bind the joints up or hit hard enough to break bones.

Here's a video that shows how much mobility you actually have while wearing full plate armor in comparison to Japanese armor of around the same time. Notice how the guy in the plate is much more restricted than the one wearing the samurai armor, the main difference is that since he's wearing a helmet with the visor down his visibility is restricted so he has take his time some when performing certain tasks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RR6I-BLKbQ

Agreed, it is very a mixed bag with every region of Westeros, and the other parts of the Ice and Fire world having their own distinct choices in arms and armor with some people wearing leather, some mail, while others full plate. What I find sort of funny is how many people we see on this show wearing full plate but nothing underneath but their clothes, not mail, not even a gambeson despite leaving large areas of their arms and legs exposed. Take Jaime's armor for instance, it doesn't cover him head to toe in plate, it leaves his arms and legs largely exposed with no extra protection despite him being from a wealthy family who could easily afford a full suit of plate. Even funnier is that the gorget that he wears with the armor we see him in at the siege of Riverrun is only leather. I mean, really, leather? He's a Lannister and been a military man all his life and he really thinks that a leather gorget is really going to offer him much protection?

Am I the only one that wished Ramsey would have talked smack to the girl from bear island? Just so that she could drop some funny lines on his ass to put him in his place. That little ruler cracks me up cause she such a badass.

I would definitely have loved to see Little Lady Mormont lay a verbal smackdown on Ramsay, not that it would've done much good. I adore that kid so much.

So, overall, pretty good episode. A few thoughts.

- Oh my god, Jon is SUCH AN IDIOT. Seriously, you got killed the first damn time because you basically acted like Ned at his most boneheaded, and you almost bought it again for the same reason. I get that he's a genuinely good guy, but damn he's DUMB. Sansa was, like, the most sensible person there. Well, Sansa and Tormund.

- Sad to see Wun Wun go, but also not surprised. I thought he'd buy it going up against the shield wall.

- In terms of strategy, basically Ramsey did exactly what Jon planned to do to him: goad him into an attack, and then envelop him and destroy him.

- Rickon...yeah, he was bound to die. Sansa called it. Once Ramsey had him, he had no reason to keep him alive (other than to manipulate Jon), and every reason to kill him.

- The sequence with the English soccer riot at the end was appropriately disturbing. The sequences with Jon beating the hell out of Ramsey, and then Sansa watching him be devoured by his own hounds were appropriately satisfying. Again, I'm with Sansa. I watched that and just said to myself "Good. ****er had it coming."

- I knew -- KNEW -- that pretty much the only thing that'd save Jon was a flanking cavalry charge by the knights of the Vale. I was watching with my wife and said "Jon should've kept a reserve of cavalry and then used them to ride into Ramsey's flank and roll up his side." And that's basically what he (actually Sansa) did.

- So, how do folks think this benefits Littlefinger? I think it just sows more chaos, because the North -- at least with houses Karstark and Umber, and anyone who remains loyal to Bolton -- will be at war with the Starks. The North is far from united, AND Petyr now has a military force present in the region. The thing is, if Littlefinger is the analogue to Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, then he'll probably flit back and forth one too many times between the Northern powers, and the Southern powers. I expect he'll end up with his head adorning a pike in either Winterfell or King's Landing, or possibly flying out the Moon Door when Robin has a fit of pique. Particularly if Sansa manipulates Robin into it.

- At this point, I think the most likely outcome is that Sansa marries Robin, and ends up as de facto rule of the Vale (and de jure ruler of the North). That'll probably be how Littlefinger bites it. He'll push his manipulations too far, and Sansa will outmaneuver him with her "womanly charms" by convincing Robin that Petyr is a "bad man" whom he should "make fly." Actually, I suppose if he's truly a 100% Warwick analogue, he'll lead some fight against the Starks and end up killed in the battle. But I kinda like the idea of him losing at his own game. I've always enjoyed Petyr as a character, and dug the whole "behind the scenes master manipulator" thing, but I've never had any illusions about his ability to actually succeed.
I think your analysis is spot on, with a couple of comments:

-- It will be interesting to see how the eventual revelation that Jon is actually a Baratheon ******* (the son of Lyanna Stark and Robert Baratheon) will play out politically. I'm convinced Dany will take the iron throne, but will there be tension because he's technically a Baratheon? Or will he bend the knee and end up on her king's guard?

-- I think Tyrion will survive the whole story and remain hand of the queen (and get his vineyard). But will Varis be master of whispers? I hope so, because there's none better, but I have my suspicions that he's going to make the ultimate sacrifice for Dany at some point. Just a feeling.

-- I agree about Littlefinger. Saw that one coming a mile away, and the previews make it quite clear that he wants to marry her in return. I can't imagine Sansa saying yes, because that would make him warden of the north *and* defacto lord of the Vale, which would be suckacious on many levels. Not to mention, I'm sure she's quite done with strategic marriages, thank you very much. So what will happen when Littlefinger is spurned? Or, will the threat of being suddenly left with no troops to defend Winterfell compel her to marry him after all (and hold out for the moon door option)?

I think your analysis is spot on, with a couple of comments:

-- It will be interesting to see how the eventual revelation that Jon is actually a Baratheon ******* (the son of Lyanna Stark and Robert Baratheon) will play out politically. I'm convinced Dany will take the iron throne, but will there be tension because he's technically a Baratheon? Or will he bend the knee and end up on her king's guard?

-- I think Tyrion will survive the whole story and remain hand of the queen (and get his vineyard). But will Varis be master of whispers? I hope so, because there's none better, but I have my suspicions that he's going to make the ultimate sacrifice for Dany at some point. Just a feeling.

-- I agree about Littlefinger. Saw that one coming a mile away, and the previews make it quite clear that he wants to marry her in return. I can't imagine Sansa saying yes, because that would make him warden of the north *and* defacto lord of the Vale, which would be suckacious on many levels. Not to mention, I'm sure she's quite done with strategic marriages, thank you very much. So what will happen when Littlefinger is spurned? Or, will the threat of being suddenly left with no troops to defend Winterfell compel her to marry him after all (and hold out for the moon door option)?

So... where are you getting the idea that Jon is a Baratheon? It's pretty heavily implied that he's a Targaryen, conceived when Rhegar "kidnapped" Lyanna, touching off that war.

I can't think of a single incident or comment that would lead to the conclusion that Lyanna ever allowed Robert to touch her, much less impregnate her.

So... where are you getting the idea that Jon is a Baratheon? It's pretty heavily implied that he's a Targaryen, conceived when Rhegar "kidnapped" Lyanna, touching off that war.

I can't think of a single incident or comment that would lead to the conclusion that Lyanna ever allowed Robert to touch her, much less impregnate her.

Good point, and it's admittedly a deduction on my part. But Robert Baratheon was desperately in love with her, and Ned would have had a doubly overriding motive to protect Jon if he were another of Robert's bastards (as well as his nephew). The curly black hair is only circumstantial, since Bran, Benjen, and Robb are/were also black-haired.
But the real clincher for me is the way the two producers convinced GRRM that they were the guys to do the show. He asked them who Jon Snow's mother is, and they gave him the right answer. The question itself rules out Ned's "I fell into a hooker" story, and leads (IMO) straight to Lyanna. As to the father, there's never been (IIRC) any reference to Targaryen bastards; but Robert Baratheon had an army of them. So it's quite possible that Jon is one more. In that sense, I'm going more on what hasn't been said than what has, because silence can speak volumes.

Last edited:
Wunwun was a massive let down. He could have grabed a sheild or two and run down atleast one of the walls. Even boot kick a sheild to the moon is better than anything else he did.

Its the season of the last second save. All hope is lost and death looks to grip hold of a character. Suddenly someone saves them from out of no where.

Re: Wun Wun's tactics, I kept thinking "Dude, you can pick up and tear a man in half. Have you considered THROWING ONE OR TWO INTO THE SHIELD WALL TO KNOCK IT DOWN AND OPEN A HOLE?!"

Wun Wun could easily have been the tip of the spear to punch out of that kind of envelopment.

I said the exact same thing while watching this. I have no military experience, but even I know that the smart move would be to have the giant open a hole for you. He just stood there swatting at things. He could have easily grabbed a bunch of pikes and snapped them. I go over and watch this with my dad and he said the guy should have picked up a dead horse and swung it as a weapon or something. I think the writers didn't think that through because they needed X to happen, but had to ignore the capability of John's assets to make it happen.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back