Foam Iron Man - Imperfect Start - Con Page 5 / Sound Page 6!

Re: Foam Iron Man - How To Wear It???

Abs done! My templates/prints seems waaaayyyy too small for me. A few filler pieces will be made for the sides, but I think I was going to do that anyways so there won't be any gaps that appear if I bend or move funny. Off to buy more hot glue and hunt for Chicago Screws!

Re: Foam Iron Man - Slow, But Coming Together!

On try #4, I finally was able to build a Cod Piece! Really out of everything so far I found it the most difficult, way more than the helmet even.

So I've been thinking of connecting the joints which some will happen later today before the paint process begins. I bought some of the plastic "backpack" squeeze clips, BUT should I use a plain strapping material or elastic?

Re: Foam Iron Man - How To Wear It???

So, for gloves, why wouldn't something like these work for $12 off Ebay? Just repaint them and add the palm stuff. The fingers wont be 100% armored around, but I think it could look ok.

Hmm...I may stop asking questions here and I get few replies off anything. But here's a few more:

Do the shoulder bells attach to the bicep via the flat round area on the shoulders, or just hang from the torso via straps in hopes that they don't flop around too much, or connect to the torso AND the biceps?

Does it work best to attach the top hand armor to the hand, or is is attached to the forearm/wrist piece?

I was thinking of imbedding a speaker and my Iphone into the left forearm for a little sound effects, but nothing annoying. Maybe even finding an app that plays a sound when it senses motion so it would make a metal walking sound when I move. Ideas?

The shoulder bell attaches to the torso (that's how I did it) I used a ballistic strap w/a buckle so the can detach. That gives it a full range of motion and seems to stay in place nicely.
The hand armor attaches to the back of the hand. That way when you rotate your wrist, it's still covering the back of your hand.
I thought about sound effects but decided I will probably forgo them. But it sure would be cool of the suit made mechanical sounds when you moved!

Thank you kind sir. I actually have tons of photo updates to do as I've finally been painting stuff!

Re: Foam Iron Man - An Imperfect Start - $5 Arc & Painting!

So here is the main Torso after being adjusted with 7 internal elastic straps and buckles, and the painting has begun! I love the smell of Plasti-Dip on a summer day, the neighbors not so much!

Tonight, the entire upper body will be either painted or primered, so just Legs and Feet to build, and I guess the Neck too now that I think of it.

Biceps and Forearms are shown here too just for reference. Maybe I'm getting tired of playing with foam and just anxious to paint, but those bits were tricky to build! The helmet doesn't seem that bad a project now.

Last edited:

$5 Arch Reactor installed!

$1 Snapple bottle (bottom).
$1 print of Arc Reactor onto clear decal paper/plastic.
$1 Minute Rice microwaveable bowl (use the White Rice as the Italian and Spanish Rice bowls have an odd yellow color).
$2 Tap Light.

Interior and lip LIGHTLY painted silver, and a scrap foam ring to cover the hot glue edge on the clear plastic.

Last edited:

MORE parts and test fitting!
Only legs and feet to build and tweak my hands (unpictured)

The Shins, if anybody has an EASY foam template, please share it. Like easy easy. Even a modded pattern. I have a size 12 foot so I know I'm going to run into issues with getting it on.

Last edited:

This is looking pretty good. Certainly better than anything I can do. I like the budget arc reactor.

That reactor is genius! When lit up, it looks perfect!

Last edited:

Hi, how to you cover up the red section when you paint the gold details on top of it?

Looks great.

Thanks in advance

Hi, how to you cover up the red section when you paint the gold details on top of it?

Looks great.

Thanks in advance

Hiya. Use blue painters masking tape and mask-off your gold area, then cover the red with something cheap like newspapers or napkins so you don't get gold overspray on it.

Oh! And remove the masking tape when the gold paint is still wet, pulling it away at an angle; otherwise the paint will dry to the tape and your edges won't be nice and clean.

Neck = Done!

Legs are made!

Leather gloves ready for alteration!

I wear a size 12 and wanted to use a hightop since I already own a pair to donate to the cause, so I designed my own boots. Not totally screen accurate, but I can wear it, and being able to wear it is more important or there's no reason to build it.

After a test fitting and strap installation, let the final painting begin!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back