Foam Iron Man - Imperfect Start - Con Page 5 / Sound Page 6!

Re: Foam Iron Man - Imperfect Start - 2nd Helmet DONE!

Wow! The improvement from one to two is great! I cant wait to branch out to foam and I appreciate your posts as they will help alot of us with our first foam builds!

Re: Foam Iron Man - Imperfect Start

Sooooo Immmm back! I got side-tracked a video project and some other stuff. But, I did make this last night! The chest piece! Onward!

Oh and that first weird helmet I made? It SHRUNK! Really, it's not even close to fitting now and I have no idea why or how. I can't even wear it. Oh well.

599710_3491270835919_339091828_n.jpg

376483_3491630964922_1125605053_n.jpg

541404_3492139097625_2137577358_n.jpg

483937_3492271220928_1258715427_n.jpg

I'm going to start the Brace and Back now. I've searched for this and couldn't find an answer so I'll ask: Does the front chest connect to the back piece and then "float" over the brace, or does everything connect to the Brace? Basically once I have all the pieces made, what connects to what?

I've colorized here where to glue the parts together :

torso-connect-01.gif

And here, how to connect collar plates to the top of the back/chest :

clip5.jpg
clip6.jpg

anyway, it's the way I did... The result is a one-piece torso that you put on just like a T-shirt.

Last edited:

So I've got the shoulder pieces done! The first one took 4 hours, I don't know why. Then I figured it was because of waiting for the hot glue to cure given some of the angles create stress. So I discovered that by putting the pieces in the freezer for a minute to cool the glue, it cuts down the build time; so the 2nd shoulder only took half the time while also being distracted by Family Guy on Netflix.

And, this should make some of you happy. Since I've mastered the hot knife, I cut the face plate off my helmet to fix the cheeks. Totally happy with its look/shape now.

I made the Chest from the 1/2" foam mats or whatever thickness they are, and will do the Back the same way. But, should the Brace be my 1/2" as well, or thinner like the Helmet?

So I made the Brace last night. It's not perfect, but it's mainly hidden anyways.

Then I got to test fit the pieces together for the firs time which was fun to get an idea of what the suit will look like. The Collar pieces, I may remake them with the thick foam as it looks like they could have a bit of stress put on them given how to connect them to the body. They arent in the below pictures.

Last edited:
Re: Foam Iron Man - How To Wear It???

So! I just made the Back piece and tacked the Chest to it. But, how am I supposed to put the thing on? Are you not supposed attach the Chest and Back to the Core permanently?

So! I just made the Back piece and tacked the Chest to it. But, how am I supposed to put the thing on? Are you not supposed attach the Chest and Back to the Core permanently?

I would suggest cutting the brace in half across the top of the shoulders then glueing the front half of the brace to the inner half of the chest, and the back to the back. then use some of these Plastic Buckles to attach the front and back together.

I would suggest cutting the brace in half across the top of the shoulders then glueing the front half of the brace to the inner half of the chest, and the back to the back. then use some of these Plastic Buckles to attach the front and back together.

Hmmm...what about internal tabs with Velcro? I'm thinking of extending the small side areas where the Chest and Back meet by a couple inches and using Velcro to attach so there's less digging for buckles.

that could work also, just have to be careful of the velcro coming undone. if you put one side of the velcro flapping off the edge of the chest piece, and the put the other side of velcro along the inside of the back, then when they are stuck together the front and back will still be flush together. (if you get what i mean)

I'll try Velcro first. I think I'm going to make the abs first before I adjust the torso, since the torso sits over the abs. If the arm holes seem too big I can always put some filler panels in. People shouldn't be too worried of these foam suits being 100% accurate, since they have to be functional first; and they are foam when it really comes down to it.

actually, you could leave it glued. just cut one of the sides where the chest and back meet under your arm. then attach those with one of those clips.
i have my back and chest attached with 4 buckles but i really only needed one. it goes on easily if i just unbuckle one of them. that gives you enough room to put it on like a t-shirt.

actually, you could leave it glued. just cut one of the sides where the chest and back meet under your arm. then attach those with one of those clips.
i have my back and chest attached with 4 buckles but i really only needed one. it goes on easily if i just unbuckle one of them. that gives you enough room to put it on like a t-shirt.

Good idea! How tight does yours fit btw?

eh, thats kind of hard to say. it feels like it fits me perfect. its not crazy tight, but its not flopping all over. there are pictures of me in my on my build thread (link in my sig)
pics of my completed upper body are on the last page. (4 or 5) not sure.

eh, thats kind of hard to say. it feels like it fits me perfect. its not crazy tight, but its not flopping all over. there are pictures of me in my on my build thread (link in my sig)
pics of my completed upper body are on the last page. (4 or 5) not sure.

Nice. I feel better I'm not alone. There's just no way to tell if these things are going to fit right until they are built. I too will add a few panels to make the fit better as mentioned. Once painted nobody or anyone else will know anyways. Plus there have been so many Iron Man suits its not like it totally matters anyways.

Nice shorts.

Haha thanks.
Yeah, it's discouraging when you spend hours building a piece just to find out it doesn't fit. My cod piece came out that way. But like you said, the nice thing about foam is you can add some pieces and modify it without hurting the overall look. Every build on this site will blow 99% of people's minds. Very few people outside of this forum can even spot the differences between the various "marks" let alone pic put incorrect details.
It's all for fun anyways! :)

Haha thanks.
Yeah, it's discouraging when you spend hours building a piece just to find out it doesn't fit. My cod piece came out that way. But like you said, the nice thing about foam is you can add some pieces and modify it without hurting the overall look. Every build on this site will blow 99% of people's minds. Very few people outside of this forum can even spot the differences between the various "marks" let alone pic put incorrect details.
It's all for fun anyways! :)

Hours! HOURS! Something you think will take a short time takes like 6 hours! It can get frustrating, but just concentrate on 1 pieces at a time. Tweaks can happen at the end it seems.

So I was thinking, lots of people have gaps at the hips and shoulders and elbows and knees. And lots of people don't seem to fill it in. Why not use that foam shelf liner that's a grid pattern? It's cheap, flexible, paintable and glueable. I was thinking if there are any gaps in my abs I'm about to start, to fill the back of the abs in with the shelf liner, which might help with flexibility a bit too.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back