Firefly Serenity ship scratch-build finished pg. 4

Re: Firefly Serenity ship scratch-build WIP

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

I really like that black&white Serenity drawing on the first picture. Where did you get it?

If you had painted it with resin before starting the details it would have been a little harder, and you would be able to use bondo on it.
I did think about resining the outside, but I've never worked with resin and didn't even know where to get it. In the end I went with spraying the model with a thick coat of white primer. But it didn't add much to strength. It did make the white wood glue unusable for gluing the paper details - not a good thing.

man i love it, do you have the files by any chance. i love fire fly and wqould love to use pepakura to make me one
The files are on Tanks&Trolls if the link to the file on the site works for you (it doesn't for me). And I still have the files on my computer so I can send them to anyone interested. PM your e-mail address.

Oh, and for the metrically challenged (like me), that's
31 1/2 inches long by
19 11/16 wide
But metric is so practical!

On a side note, I just got a lathe for my birthday and I sense a nice maple and mahogany chess set in my future. As soon as I learn how to use that thing, that is.

Wow. Just. Wow. I think I found my next project!!

Please post progress pics as you go! I would love to follow this build.

I have the tanks and trolls pds... but I don't see any direction as far as mountain/valley folds on the drawings.. did you have problems here, or was it self explanatory once you got going?

In the .rar file I have from Tanks&Trolls there is a short readme file, progress pictures and .pdfs. The pdfs have numbered tabs but don't distinguish mountain and valley folds (same style line for all folds). The progress pictures help a lot. And the model is divided into sub-assemblies that don't have too many pieces.

I had no big problems building it apart from figuring out the orientation of shuttles.

serenity_model_black_1_by_risziga-d55brxr.jpg

It's the Bat-ship!

Anyway, I sprayed the model with matte black for a base coat and I tried to cover all the nooks so I don't have any white spots later on.

serenity_model_black_2_by_risziga-d55bs8t.jpg

serenity_model_black_3_by_risziga-d55bshv.jpg

serenity_model_black_4_by_risziga-d55bsmn.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back