Cargo Ship Build

norscout

Solid start on the Cargo Ship today. N scale. 24"
Norscout.RPF.005.png

A laser cutter, chop saw or band saw would've been handy!!
Parts are too small for my Rip Saw and my jigsaw tends to lean thru thicker material.
I need good right angle cuts so my best option is hand saw for now.
Norscout.RPF.005b.png

* My original post is here with a few sketches of this ship design and asking about engine kit pieces:
Cargo Transport Ship Engines: N Scale

Any and all feedback, suggestions or recommendations are welcomed and appreciated.

This is going to be solid and heavy:eek:(y) I usually use Loews ceiling panels in plain white plastic. Comes in 2 different thickness and cuts/glue very easily. No need to have an inner skeleton;) (but, that's just me talking;)) Eager to see the rest.

Yeah I think sewing machine feet could be used to good effect in the right instance. Maybe good for a fighter.
Wawak has many different shapes for $4-$16. I'd need to be careful with scale busters on this one & cover up the pivot pin or screws.
I plan to build 3 boxy enclosures, but not show landing gear on this ship. Then get to some paneling and paint practice!

Ship Head Cladding is complete on the still unnamed Cargo Transport Ship.
Norscout.RPF.010a.jpg

1/8" bevels. 1/4" tall windows.
I have two sandpaper grits I'm using for construction. I need to find the best surface finisher grit to remove all sandpaper marks.
? - Any recommendations on good finishing paper grit for .060 styrene? (I'll see if wet-sand is required or if dry good enough).

Guns mockup.
Thinking a flat plate with 4 tiny triangular gussets to the larger barrel shroud might work...
Norscout.RPF.010b.jpg

? - What do you think?
A. Cut bevels into square stock and no guns there.
B. Keep square and add guns.
C. Cut bevel line and still add guns. (gun barrel centerline will be in edge of bevel).
Norscout.RPF.010c.jpg

Norscout.RPF.010d.jpg

I glued the windshield about a 64th low on the left... I can live with that. It's just a concept model ;).
Norscout.RPF.010e.jpg

? - What is your favorite blade? These ones I have, the knurled tip lock keeps coming loose. I need a better one.

My two cents is option c- cut the bevel line and still add the guns, but either way whatever you decide it will look good.

I usually use 220 grit to remove/sand edges or any other problem...finishing with 320 grit to make it smooth and without lines. No need to wet sand;) I would probably add tubes coming from those squares and then the guns. It seems that, design wise, to just add those round guns without any kind of "in between piece" would be a little abrupt. Going from a very stubby square piece to a little round one...not my fav.
But, then again; it's your baby(y)

Solid start on the Cargo Ship today. N scale. 24"
View attachment 1716944
A laser cutter, chop saw or band saw would've been handy!!
Parts are too small for my Rip Saw and my jigsaw tends to lean thru thicker material.
I need good right angle cuts so my best option is hand saw for now.
View attachment 1716946
* My original post is here with a few sketches of this ship design and asking about engine kit pieces:
Cargo Transport Ship Engines: N Scale

Any and all feedback, suggestions or recommendations are welcomed and appreciated.
I love this wood core! No worries about it breaking!!

Nice work.

Agree with Joberg- 220 grit & 320 grit- I go one step further with some 400 grit.

Xacto holder/knife- I recommended this very comfortable unit:
It tightens the blade from the bottom.

I use an Olfa L1 for .06" styrene or thicker.

dkaniel option C, I agree, will see how it works out.
joberg Perfect. I just checked my shop; I have 60, 150, 220, 320 and 400 grit paper. Haven't used most of it since the last scratch build model I made a few years ago.
CosmicQuest Thx, Yes! Makes a great base to build on, except the scrap wood is a tad bit warpy & knotty, but it should work out ok for a concept build.
Thanks Carlb I'll be stopping by Michaels to pick one up and try it out!
Cheers.

Last edited:
Base layer cladding underway, then top ridgeline and decisions to make:
- overall style - cargo doors / shapes & details - paneling / access panels / amount of exterior mechanical details + additional sections like topside captains helm, rear spoiler / wing and engine nozzles.
Norscout.RPF.011.jpg

Gonna let the front rest for a bit, then finish the front gun section when I get into detailing.
I intended this to be a simple cargo ship, but not look too boring. Will see if I get it there...

Thx CosmicQuest making small steps forward on it.
Norscout.RPF.012.jpg

Designed and roughed in the rear section / engine nozzles.
Norscout.RPF.012b.jpg

I decided to go for two main engines in vertical offset alignment.
Lower is primary lift, upper is extra power and overdrive.
The two side ones will assist with yaw, turning.
Norscout.RPF.012c.jpg

*Learned I cannot cut acrylic tube with my new tube cutter. Tried twice & cracked 'em twice. Glued the crack on one and can still use it.

Yep, acrylic sucks big time:( The design for the engines was the same as for the gun ports at the front (that I suggested a few post before)...as to keep with an overall sameness on the ship;)(y)(y)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back