Fifth Element Stones WIP

kalkamel

Master Member
Here's something I did for fun over the weekend. I bought the Mondoshawan Key from Russ and a coupla multipass kits from Matt so I thought it would be nice to display them with the elemental stones. Trouble is, most of the stones available are kinda out of my price range. I'm not too concerned about having stones which are super accurate, having every crack/details as the screen-used ones; I just want a set which a lay person will immediately identify as the stones in The Fifth Element.

I did some research and collected some reference pics, and thought about the best ways to replicate the stones; e.g. using plaster or foam what-have-yous. Finally I decided to take the easy route... cardboard.

I got the dimensions of the stones from one of my reference sites and began to draw out the template for 4 stones. These are just the basic dimensions without the swirls and patterns. Once I cut out the basic template, I drew on the swirls for each stone template and then cut them all out with a combination of box-cutter, Exacto and sharp scissors. I glued them into the stone shape and added backing to the swirl holes I cut out. When I was done, this is what I got:
5E1.jpg

They were still very flimsy, so I used masking tape over the stones, making sure the swirl patterns are still clearly visible.
5E2.jpg

Here's where it got tricky. I really didn't know what I should do next. I wanted the stony texture and heft so plain cardboard just wouldn't do. I rummaged through my hardware shed and found a tub of cellulose based wall filler. So I slapped them onto each "stone", again making sure each and every swirl was still clearly visible.

I left them for 12 hours and this is what resulted:
5E3.jpg

Now, they've got good stony texture and they've got a nice heft too!

Here's what I'll do next:

(a) lots of sanding
(b) slapping a coat of matt sealer to each "stone"
(c) adding the cracks
(d) painting
(e) weathering

Stay tuned for more progress. Suggestions would also be welcomed.:)
(c)

Super-green! :love

What a fun and interesting project, please keep us posted with the progress, I'd love to see the finished product. :)

"Green like what?" :)

Nice work so far! I'm waiting to see what paint finish you use, as I have some resin stones that need painting one of these days.

I've been trying out different paint jobs, to create a faux sandstone finish. Still not happy with what I've found so far. I'll update you guys with pics soon!

Here's the latest WIP pic. As I said, I'm not quite satisfied with the paintjob.
S2500054-small.jpg

A little too grey and a little too mottled (varying in color). Try getting a nice sandstone color and just airbrush over it all - enough to even out the color but to still allow just a slight bit of the variation in color to show.

Last edited:
Do you have water-based acrylic paints available where you are? The type that comes in tubes hat artists mix on pallettes?

Mixed to the right consistency, and with some practice, you can wipe it on, sort of like a wiping-style wood stain application.

The dimensions I used are for the smaller Diva sized stones (the one Korben took out of her abdomen). They are 21cm high, 1cm by 7cm by 8.5cm by 7cms. I'm not sure of the dimensions of the temple sized ones, though. Anyone know?

By the way, I haven't done any further work on these yet. Still on the lookout for some acrylic colors as Rob suggested.

Height is EXACTLY 8 7/16" (214,3125 mm)

The base is a flat top triangle. Think mayan pyramid. The base is 3.5" (88,9 mm). Flat top is .5" (12,7 mm). Sides are 2.75" (69,85 mm).
Courtesy of Mr. Munson (hope it's okay?). :confused

The conversion of imperial to metric I did myself, might wanna doublecheck.

:love

Or better yet, get an inch based ruler...

Now these measurements don't differ that much, not sure if these are temple ones, also not sure if the 21 cm ones are the Diva ones?

Holy dead thread revival, Batman! :p

Eight years later and I thought I'd give this project another go.

This time I thought I'd make the larger temple sized stones. So I got myself a few sheets of 2mm sintra and started cutting. Once glued, they look like this. Each stone is approximately 29 cm in height.

Next, I added the cracks. Based on reference pics, I drew the cracks onto the sintra and then used a soldering iron to engrave them. Once done, I gave them a coat of primer.

I sanded down the edges with a metal file, some sand paper and then Dremel sanding drum. I also used some modelling filler for the seams. Another coat of primer.

This is where it gets interesting, I found a can of Krylon Make-it-Stone texture paint in a local hardware store and sprayed the stones with that. Gave them a nice texture. At this stage, they look like aquarium ornaments. :p

Then I spray painted them with sand beige.

After some misting with assorted colors, this is what I ended up with:

What a difference 8 years make, thanks to the RPF! I'm pretty pleased with how these turned out. :) Now I need a Leeloo to complete them... :p

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back