Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Post-release)

My wife is a huge HP fan and I've enjoyed the books & movies myself. We avoided trailers and spoilers and went opening weekend. We were both disappointed.

I expected a more light-hearted romp with Newt trying to track down some of his (fantastic) escaped beasts. Expectations confirmed when he disembarks from the ship and there's some shenanigans with his briefcase. Re-confirmed when Jacob runs into Newt with the EXACT SAME BRIEFCASE but I can forgive that because it's a light-hearted kids movie, right? Then, after 20 minutes of chasing a niffler through the bank, things start to deteriorate…

Suddenly, we were watching a dark, depressing, story of hatred, murder, and child abuse.

Since this is NOT a kid movie, I can’t forgive the corniness or glaring plot holes…
Why does Newt go through normal customs? Isn’t there a platform 9 ¾ equivalent?
Why not just apperate there?
What are the odds that Newt and Jacob have the EXACT SAME BRIEFCASE?
Tina is very timid and soft spoken yet she was/is an AUROR?
Did Grindelwald kill the real Graves and take his place or spend 15+ years working his way up the MACUSA ladder?
Haven’t we all seen enough of Johnny Depp???
Does anyone feel bad for a troubled teen getting murdered by a bunch of wizards in a subway?
After 20 minutes of blurry CGI explosions… I wanted to puke.
Speaking of CGI, I expected a lot with this movie. But it was terrible and jarring (mentioned a few times in this post already). When they could’ve used practical effects… they chose otherwise.

I could continue but it’s already a lengthy rant. We really did want to like it… it’s Harry Potter after all… isn’t it? Sadly, no… it isn’t.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back