Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Post-release)

Re: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Where did you see a Niffler?

At about 1:34 you see the little Niffler sliding under a table with a small purse....here's a screengrab:

Niffler.jpg

ah yeah I figured, I think I had the little toy version from WWoHP stuck on my mind

Wow, I can't believe that no one has posted about the new Fantastic Beast clip with Jo Rowling and Eddie Redmayne talk about Newt's character. They showed a spot where Newt is asking a Bowtruckle for a smile...(.so cute) and a few other new scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8aYCm6WBHI

Here's a screengrab of the Bowtruckle:

BowtruckleNS.jpg

Someone did, you.:) The Bowtruckle is sure cute. I sure am excited about this movie.....is it here yet?

Can she stop yet? That's more melodramatical fanfic-y than the play.

Can she stop yet? That's more melodramatical fanfic-y than the play.

Im more upset that she feels she can get away with copy pasting Hogwarts by lampshading it and saying the characters couldn't go there so THEY copied it for their own school. Plus the fact that the aunt is from the Gaunt family makes the scope even narrower.

Im more upset that she feels she can get away with copy pasting Hogwarts by lampshading it and saying the characters couldn't go there so THEY copied it for their own school. Plus the fact that the aunt is from the Gaunt family makes the scope even narrower.

Why did it even need to be someone from the UK who started the school? Were American wizards and witches incapable of organizing something and had just homeschooled their kids? And a magical creature "teaching" her to make wands?

If it had to have been a foreign school to inspire the US school, why couldn't it have been Beauxbatons? That would actually fit in with real-world US history, since when someone went to the UK to learn sign language to bring it back to the US, an the Brits refused, so he went to France instead.

It's just overall so frustrating, since she's obviously brilliant, but has long since run out of ideas.

Why did it even need to be someone from the UK who started the school? Were American wizards and witches incapable of organizing something and had just homeschooled their kids? And a magical creature "teaching" her to make wands?

If it had to have been a foreign school to inspire the US school, why couldn't it have been Beauxbatons? That would actually fit in with real-world US history, since when someone went to the UK to learn sign language to bring it back to the US, an the Brits refused, so he went to France instead.

It's just overall so frustrating, since she's obviously brilliant, but has long since run out of ideas.

exactly, it's just such an unoriginal path to take. Even keeping the thread of founders from the UK, why not have the story be about some Wizards/Witches who left the UK after graduating Hogwarts in an attempt to broaden their magical horizons and head for North America to learn from the native cultures there. I just highly dislike the inclusion of the aunt as being a relative of Voldemort.

The whole thing feels increasingly out of touch.

A good chunk of her audience grew up with tales of Hogwarts, so what's the next logical step? Make Illvermorny a Wizarding college! Newt Scamander (similar to my hypothetical founders) leaves the UK to learn more abroad and ends up visiting Illvermorny. That is a natural progression and motivation. Just rehashing Hogwarts is a total misstep for me.

I don't even want to get started on the houses.

I was hoping it would be native American and the school would be in one of the cliffs with the caves (can't remember the word for it right now)

It was the 1600s There weren't any "Americans" unless you are talking about Native Americans? That would have been an interesting idea but I don't see how they would take the next step with settlers moving and becoming part of the school with the history of relations there. Definitely a challenging thing to think about!

It was the 1600s There weren't any "Americans" unless you are talking about Native Americans? That would have been an interesting idea but I don't see how they would take the next step with settlers moving and becoming part of the school with the history of relations there. Definitely a challenging thing to think about!

Isolte comes to America on the Mayflower, so it makes sense to me that other Wizards and Witches would have been colonizing the area as well and intermingling with the native peoples. I don't have a problem with it being a UK based founder, colonialism is a huge part of US history, I just dislike the Hogwarts fan-fic that they make up to start the new school.

Why do they the founders have to be British? Why couldn't they be of the Scandinavian decent? The Viking row row their boats over many years befor the pilgrims raced against the clock looking for a place to dock. They could of had their wizards blend with the Native American shamans to make a new school. Even possible wizards from Russian coming across the ice bridge that was connected to Alaska. Anyway It's crappy writing and lazy. She is all about the dollar dollar bill..or so called pounds.

i agree with the opinions above. i disliked the play very much but i thought it was bcoz of that JK didnt write it alone so the guy messed it up :D but i see now if it is alone JKR too, this seems odd. i thought those house names were the only names of mascots. i have wanted it to be like that. i am not a native english speaker but those house names sound so silly even to my ear... especially pukwudgie sounds so funny though i dont know the pronunciation exactly :lol i agree also copying and pasting hogwarts housing system is a dissapointment. i was expecting something new, interesting. she didnt creat a new story in the play also, keeps repeating herself. i was actually very excited when i read about other wizarding schools. they seem like cooler schools than ilvermorny to me. it is fun to watch the video and read from JKR anyway. but it looks like she is consuming success of harry potter at the moment and after a point people will start to question her performance. i hope that fantastic beasts movie will have a better plot and creative idea.

I rather enjoyed the Ilvermorny back story and like the ties to Hogwarts. Whether you like it or not, it is official. I like having a school in the US, and as you see by my avatar, I was sorted into Pukwudgie House. I really look forward to reading and seeing more on Pottermore, and in the movie. My only frustration is trying to remember how to pronounce ILVERMORNY. :lol

I also really enjoyed the Ilvermorny backstory. I don't see why anyone has a problem with the connections to Hogwarts and British tradition coupled with Native American culture and folklore. That IS much of our base heritage and it wouldn't make sense for it to be any other way, IMO. I like having the continuity and connections that pull the countries and worlds together. There is so much room for continued storyline, so why dis it before it's gotten out of the starting gate? Anyway, I'm loving all the new material....it's got my mind spinning.

Got sorted into Thunderbird. I'm not an 'adventurer' by any means, but there's more to it than that of course. Just trying to aborb all this for the time being. Thumbs up for me!:thumbsup

Congrats! I wonder how Ilvermorny will fit into the movie, other than the Witches and Wizards that attended the school.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back