Fallout series on Amazon

I would give it an 8/10. My only complaints were the lack of Fallout vehicles and the way the BOS was depicted. I think the lack of Fallout cars/trucks was due to their CGI budget because there was only one vehicle (the red convertible with a rear fin in episode I) that looked anything like Fallout. As far as the Brotherhood, I think they looked undisciplined and ragtag. That is until the last episode. I loved the squires using the knights as shields, that seems like a totally legit tactic. Also I have to give them kudos for writing a great female lead character in Lucy. It's refreshing to have a well written character and not a "You'll accept it and you'll like it because she's female, you -ists and -phobes!"

My main concern is WTH happened to the NCR? Are they totally gone or just Shady Sands? I was bummed when we got Veteran Ranger Ponch and he seemingly just had recovered Ranger armor!

I'm not finished with it yet, but I've been enjoying it plenty. It does a good job of capturing the vibe of the games while still feeling fresh. It's well acted and well produced, and the storyline is interesting, especially the background on the vault system, the war, and the origins of both and where they went.

To be fair, I've only ever played Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout 3 with most of its DLC. I never got around to New Vegas, 4, or 76, and I skipped Brotherhood Tactics because my recollection is that it was a real time tactics game and I never liked that genre. All that aside, as I recall, the only game with vehicles in the post apocalyptic setting was FO2 where you could get your own car. Every other game, you were on foot. The BOS and Enclave had vehicles like their quasi-Osprey VTOLs, but otherwise ground transport was on foot or maybe brahmin-drawn cart/wagon.

To be fair, I've only ever played Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout 3 with most of its DLC. I never got around to New Vegas, 4, or 76, and I skipped Brotherhood Tactics because my recollection is that it was a real time tactics game and I never liked that genre. All that aside, as I recall, the only game with vehicles in the post apocalyptic setting was FO2 where you could get your own car. Every other game, you were on foot. The BOS and Enclave had vehicles like their quasi-Osprey VTOLs, but otherwise ground transport was on foot or maybe brahmin-drawn cart/wagon.
I think they mean the pre-war stuff, which didn't look like all of the wrecks or pre-war FO4 cars. Honestly though, who cares?

After the second episode I am unsure if Maximus is a weird creeper with delusions of grandeur or simply a different variety of naive. I do not get good vibes from the guy.

I've been pretty universally thrilled with the effects, especially for a TV show, and all of the little touches that are from the games fold well enough into the world as they've shown it that I am not offended. There were a couple of times where it felt like they held up a sign hat said "hey, this is from a video game", but in those instances I think it has worked well enough for the show that they're making. They were moments that set the tone rather than broke it in service of making a nod.
So, I'm up to Episode 7.

Initially, I hated Maximus. I found him irritating and stupid. But I think your "a different kind of naive" is pretty much it. This guy's been raised in a different kind of cult by people who are essentially abusive as a doctrine, and who perpetuate a cycle of abuse. Maximus is both a victim of this and a perpetrator, and this is confirmed later by Thaddeus' comments on how he basically beat up Maximus because he was tired of being beaten up himself, and this was a chance to shift the target to the new guy. So, it ends up with this messed up power dynamic all built around abuse, with people gaining power to lord it over others and make them feel the pain that the abuser themselves felt, and on and on it goes. My sense is that encountering Lucy and stepping outside the Brotherhood for a while, being on his own, we may see that change, at least for Maximus.

When I first thought "I can't stand this guy" I was on Ep. 3. Now by Ep. 7, I'm starting to warm to him. I could see where this turns into a genuine character arc, assuming the show gets additional seasons (it'd be a bit abrupt if we see it fully realized in one and a half more episodes -- I'm only halfway done with 7).

There are a ton of bits for longtime fans of the series. My personal fav thus far is the way that Stimpaks work. Jab one in yourself and hey, presto, you're healed. How? Doesn't matter. You're just better. I joke with my wife (who is herself a doctor) that a lot of her patients who show up with complaints about colds and such are basically looking for a Stimpak when the problem is only fixed by the passage of time.

--EDIT--

Something else I've noticed in watching is how deft the production team is at creating a sense of space, and how I recognize these techniques from watching Stargate SG-1 (another show featuring a lot of hallways and tunnels). The "vaults" are, I suspect, only a few individual set pieces which get re-dressed or angled to create a sense of space and to differentiate portions.

There's a shot in Ep. 7 when Norm is walking to another vault and if you pay attention, you can pretty much tell that the vault hallway he's headed towards is actually just a backdrop. He never actually reaches it or walks thru it. The shot cuts before he gets there, then shows him walking around the corner of another tighter corridor (to indicate it's the same one we just watched him walk towards). It's vintage SG-1 stuff, and a really smart use of sets when you're trying to watch your budget.

Last edited:
After four episodes I still don't like or trust Maximus. My lizard brain thinks he's more broken and dangerous than the Ghoul.

You can see that he's trying to do the right thing, or at least some version of it from his brain, but every time I see him on screen I'm just waiting for him to snap.

After four episodes I still don't like or trust Maximus. My lizard brain thinks he's more broken and dangerous than the Ghoul.

You can see that he's trying to do the right thing, or at least some version of it from his brain, but every time I see him on screen I'm just waiting for him to snap.
Keep watching. He improves. The characters are complicated, and the show presents information in a complicated way insofar as it, on the one hand, is deeply goofy/comedic, and on the other hand is deadly serious.

Anyone notice this guy wearing the commercially available Deckard Blade Runner coat on Fallout Episode 3?

Attachments

• F-068NE.jpg
    F-068NE.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 30
I'm not finished with it yet, but I've been enjoying it plenty. It does a good job of capturing the vibe of the games while still feeling fresh. It's well acted and well produced, and the storyline is interesting, especially the background on the vault system, the war, and the origins of both and where they went.

I would immediately go play Fallout New Vegas after watching this show. It's probably the best Fallout game, but you'll need to have played it if this show gets a second season. You'll know what I mean at the last episode. Well you don't *need* to play it, but a lot of things in the show will make a little more sense (Vault Tec meeting members for one).

I would immediately go play Fallout New Vegas after watching this show. It's probably the best Fallout game, but you'll need to have played it if this show gets a second season. You'll know what I mean at the last episode. Well you don't *need* to play it, but a lot of things in the show will make a little more sense (Vault Tec meeting members for one).
They're saying it's a shoe in for a second season. They're already gearing up to start production in September.

Yeah, it's installed. I'm trying to figure out which mods to run for it.

I watched it all with my wife (who is a diehard Fallout fan). We both really enjoyed it. I’d honestly watch it again already too, which is pretty rare!

They did a great job capturing tone and the quirky elements of the IP. I wonder how non-gamers view it…

Yeah, it's installed. I'm trying to figure out which mods to run for it.

I usually play it without any mods. I think the only one I used was so that the one faction sends out better equipped hit squads. Otherwise it's a perfect game. A graphics mod might help, if there is one, but it doesn't bother me at all.

I saw a post on PC Gamer where someone had a theory that the reason the Brotherhood in this doesn't act like the others we've met in the games could be because they absorbed Caesar's Legion soldiers after the events of New Vegas. He mentions that a bunch of the BOS we meet have names like Maximus, Titus, etc. which sound Roman. Also, I didn't notice, but they said the BOS flag in this has yellow/gold on it. The only red/yellow flag we've seen in the games is the Legion. Then you have branding of the squires, which is never mentioned in any Fallout game up to this point, and then the fact that they act like undisciplined idiots until the last episode. Oh, and the knights being absolute jerks to squires, which doesn't happen in the games.

I usually play it without any mods. I think the only one I used was so that the one faction sends out better equipped hit squads. Otherwise it's a perfect game. A graphics mod might help, if there is one, but it doesn't bother me at all.
Ah, see, I almost always play with mods. I'll definitely try to find a graphics mod to clean up textures and the like (it's been a LONG time since I played FO3, but I remember it being kinda muddy), but I also like stuff like unlimited companions and adding real-world weapons and such.
I saw a post on PC Gamer where someone had a theory that the reason the Brotherhood in this doesn't act like the others we've met in the games could be because they absorbed Caesar's Legion soldiers after the events of New Vegas. He mentions that a bunch of the BOS we meet have names like Maximus, Titus, etc. which sound Roman. Also, I didn't notice, but they said the BOS flag in this has yellow/gold on it. The only red/yellow flag we've seen in the games is the Legion. Then you have branding of the squires, which is never mentioned in any Fallout game up to this point, and then the fact that they act like undisciplined idiots until the last episode. Oh, and the knights being absolute jerks to squires, which doesn't happen in the games.
Without having played the game, it's difficult to say, but yeah, your theory seems sound. The flag was definitely just red and white, and the names were a bunch of Latin names.

Ah, see, I almost always play with mods. I'll definitely try to find a graphics mod to clean up textures and the like (it's been a LONG time since I played FO3, but I remember it being kinda muddy), but I also like stuff like unlimited companions and adding real-world weapons and such.
Playing with mods sounds fun, but every time I start to look into it the learning curve just turns me off. On top of that, I don't have time to surf nexus mods for hours looking for mods that do what I want (clean up the graphics a bit without breaking the visual style, mostly). So I basically just play vanilla for a little bit until I'm good.

Playing with mods sounds fun, but every time I start to look into it the learning curve just turns me off. On top of that, I don't have time to surf nexus mods for hours looking for mods that do what I want (clean up the graphics a bit without breaking the visual style, mostly). So I basically just play vanilla for a little bit until I'm good.
Yeah, I don't mind digging around on Nexus. I usually start with "most popular of all time" and go from there. If I want something really niche, I'll look for it, but since I've never actually played the full game, I want to make sure that the experience stays fun the whole way thru.

Come to think of it, I never did finish all of the DLC for FO3. I think I beat Operation Anchorage and stalled out with the Pitt? I dunno. After a while it stopped really grabbing me.

Just saw Ep.1 of the first season with my wife. I've never played the game, so I'm discovering the different characters. So far, so good(y)(y)
I love the look of the tunnels/doors/costumes and props. It has a very good '50s/old Sci-Fi look that I always liked very much.:love::love:
Acting and character development is great also. Glad to see a female lead well written for a change! Not your average Didn't Earn It!:rolleyes:

I thought the same thing. There is a huge difference in when you write a strong character, and when you write a tailored woke empowered X/Y/Z. One is also much more timeless than the other, while the other will age terribly.

That's why this is so refreshing. One, they didn't completely screw up a videogame show. Two, they have a great female lead character. I think it's amusing that all these shows that tanked (She-Hulk, Capt. Marvel, Madame Web, any other female led movie) the company/shill websites said the fans were misogynist and hate female characters. So if we are all so toxic and just outright hate female characters, why is it that when shows that are good and have well written female characters, you don't hear a peep about the female character? The only complaint we are hearing about this show is whether they broke continuity with the NCR in this!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back