Fallout 4

I'm starting to think they created all this base building stuff to make up for not having more storyline DLC planned despite all the stuff they cut out of the game that were quests. It's pretty much busy work to keep us occupied and after nuka world there's no point to play it anymore. They could have kept making DLC until the next one come out and made good money. The additions to the name list are pretty weird in spots, they still can't say either of the names i gave my characters.

That's what I hate with the DLC. With ALL of the building stuff, they could have put out those ideas and modders would easily do it. Leave that stuff to them, they do it really well. They should have focused on doing good story DLC. If they forgot how since Fallout 3 and Skyrim, let Obsidian take a crack at it again! Far Harbor was pretty good, but that's all we got.

Apparently, you can only send companions to their original home if you do not send them to a settlement first. I wanted to send Nick Valentine home after Far Harbor but, I had switched him out with Longfellow while I did some Children of Atom missions. So... if I want Nick to go back to his office I have to redo 10 hours of gameplay. If it were anymore than that, I'd probably not do it. :unsure I'd just rather him be in his office than wandering one of my bases.

That's what I hate with the DLC. With ALL of the building stuff, they could have put out those ideas and modders would easily do it. Leave that stuff to them, they do it really well. They should have focused on doing good story DLC. If they forgot how since Fallout 3 and Skyrim, let Obsidian take a crack at it again! Far Harbor was pretty good, but that's all we got.

Even if they'd introduce bounties or something to keep things going. I don't even expect a huge mission but give us something. Reintroduce all the crap you cut out.

Since Fallout 4's relevance is somehow going to drop below Fallout: New Vegas very soon, I'm just going to list the things that this game did that I'll remember the most.

Todd Howard has a son and he really hopes you can experience that joy of life through this game.
- I'm just a gamer Todd. I don't want to experience the joy of family in a franchise like Fallout. You may love your son very very much (You literally put him in Fallout 3), but I'm not a father, I don't plan on being a father any time soon, and I'd prefer playing Fallout 4 not tied down by your self-gratifying storyline.

Fallout 4. Starring the Sole Surviver and Nick Valentine
- It's always customary to have a favorite character in a franchise with so many distinguishing characters. There's nothing wrong with that. But when you're a content creator who is involved in writing a story with multiple characters that can be the player's companion, your not doing your game or your fanbase any favors if you blatantly give all the attention to your favorite character. Nick Valentine is without a doubt Bethesda's favorite character in this game. He's got a back story that is scattered all across the Common Wealth, he's the only companion who is relevant to the main story and when it comes to the story driven DLC, he's the ONLY companion who was given new content to work with. I'm honestly shocked at how little attention was given to the companions. Just look at Preston. This was the first companion character from Fallout 4 that Bethesda introduced to the world and is still the only character adorned on the game's packaging. In the end, he wound up being a joke. An awful, repetitive, contradicting joke. The moment the Contraptions DLC came out, the first thing that every player who posted on youtube showcased was putting Preston in that block.

A story so large and epic, it accomplishes... nothing.
- Fallout 4 is the first Fallout title where by the end of the main storyline, I felt like I've accomplished nothing. It's not so much a matter of choice not being different from other choices, it's the matter of nothing changing... at all. In Fallout, you explore the Fallout universe for the first time and save your vault from destruction. In Fallout 2, you stop the Enclave, learn about the meaning of the Vaults and witness the growth of the NCR. In Fallout 3, you learn about what happened on the East Coast, project Purity and what happened to the fan favorite Harold. In Fallout New Vegas, everything you did in Fallout 1 and 2 comes to a head with the now formidable NCR at war with Caesar's Legion. But in Fallout 4? Uh, people killed each other. The Institute lacks so much purpose that nothing they never feel like a threat or benefit, the Railroad is full of idiots, the Brotherhood are nothing but genocidal high tech raiders and the minutemen have settlements. What is at stake here?

Pre-War character potential utterly destroyed.
- You're a pre-war survivor! You know what the world was like before the bombs fell! And of that potential story driven moments of discovery, understanding and world building are practically non-existent as you scurry around the Common Wealth acting like you've lived in this wasteland all your life. You could have had the Sole Survivor simply be a settler who's son was kidnapped from their home and nothing would seem different or out of place. And if you're worried about story inconsistencies (Institute wanted an human who wasn't irradiated), at least it would be in line with the inconsistencies we got with the game itself (Institute can make an broken man live forever with cybernetics, but can't stop Father from aging or cure his illness). The game has all these pieces in place for something grand for the Fallout universe and it does nothing with them.

Minecraft you Fallout!
- I like settlement building. Honest truth. I like the idea of building fortresses in the waste land, having new people chip in and defending it from all kinds of baddies. There are a lot of areas for improvement like having it contribute more to the story, characters or even your character. If a settlement gets destroyed, have it REALLY be destroyed to convey risk. Have a Starship Troopers moment where your settlement is besieged by hundreds of mobs that you must fend off. The groundwork is great, it just needs more polishing, better UI and more relevance.

Mediocre
- With all the glaring evidence of content being cut, lackluster companions and a story that doesn't hook you in like the previous Fallout titles did, it's not hard to imagine these words being uttered by everyone involved. "It's good enough." That's honestly how I think everyone felt in the end. It's a mediocre product that they were happy with being mediocre. It's memorable for it's faults and forgettable for it's attempts at strengths. Skipping this Fallout game has no consequences.

The moment the Contraptions DLC came out, the first thing that every player who posted on youtube showcased was putting Preston in that block.

Well I put Marcy in the pillory and left her there. That b**** had it coming for being a jerk and hurting the morale of my settlement! :lol

I agree with some of your points, but I still put the game, at least on the fun level, up with F3 and NV. The story was unimaginative other than the "big revelation" which I thought was really clever. My other complaints are:

BoS - these guys didn't know what they were in this game. They act like the Enclave. I'm convinced they got them confused in this game. They fly in with loudspeakers blaring that they come in peace, yet the quartermaster tasks you with getting aid from settlements "at any cost". You also never get a chance to tell them you were a soldier when you meet Paladin Danse. He just says it's nice to work with someone who can follow orders. I'm guessing they would really value a veteran soldier...

Bethesda (Obsidian was guilty too) finally made it so that NPCs recognize what your wearing and armed with. However, despite wearing T51b power armor and sporting a laser rifle, some low level street thug still tries to shake me down when I enter Goodneighbor for the first time. Now I recognize that Raiders will do that, because they're drugged out of their minds and/or stupid, but not everyone is that stupid. They wouldn't survive if they were.

Remember when there were other reasons to leave the vault than "X family member is missing", or *GASP* not even be a character from a vault as the story in the game? Let's see more of that. We saw some cool logs in computers about vaults sending out scouts to see what's going on. Let's start a game as one of them.

Remember when there were other reasons to leave the vault than "X family member is missing", or *GASP* not even be a character from a vault as the story in the game? Let's see more of that. We saw some cool logs in computers about vaults sending out scouts to see what's going on. Let's start a game as one of them.

That's been my bid for a Fallout set in the Pacific Northwest for some years now. Info from the Fallout bible, Van Buren, and Fallout: Extreme. Vault 6, under Mount Saint Helens. The original vault experiment was to allow small amounts of radiation into the vault each day. I had posited something like Vault 81 or 75, where one part is for the experiment subjects and the other is for the scientists conducting the research. Per Extreme, it would now be a BoS lab. The player character would start out either as someone from there or a BoS Initiate sent up there from Portland. No insular Vault-dwelling community of which you are the only (or next to only) representative out in the Wasteland. Plus a chance to depict the Brotherhood as not jerks...

--Jonah

I'd like to see a game take place in the after math of the war, that 90 some years when it was hell on the surface. Then again in the original games I don't think the meant for anyone but vault dwellers to have survived the war other than the enclave and ghouls, that changed over the years so now there are tribals and others that survived during the 100 years between the war and first game. I'd like to see it start like Fallout 4 before the war and let you survive the hell after it where there was fighting in the streets and such. Go back to the original way of having 3 characters types to choose from you can customize: a survivor who goes on to live long after the war, one who dies doing something good or bad, and one who becomes a ghoul over time. I just want to see the decline into hell after the bombs fall and honestly I'd like to see more of the Pittsburgh area since i'm there, the northern part of PA is heavily forested and perfect for a vault not to mention lots of caves and such.
I gave up on Destiny again thanks to them making everything even more PvP based so it's back to working on my base. Maybe i'll stick a vault under it.

The people in the vaults had the best chance of surviving unscathed (not counting the harsher experimental vaults), but the continent is too big for all to have been laid waste. Just going by the original game -- earliest, timeline-wise -- we see two cities that have sprung up around control vaults that had opened after the nominal period. Shady Sands, capitol of the nascent NCR, has a population of around ten thousand. They're not all from that vault.

Then there are the people, ah, blesed with the Gift of Atom -- not Ghouls, but they aren't harmed by radiation. I see them and the Ghouls (feral and non) as a radiation analogue to immunity to the Plague. If you inherited the gene from one parent, you got sick but recovered (Ghouls). If you got one from each parent, you didn't get sick at all (the no radiation damage perk). I have no idea how that'd work, but if we can allow for giant scorpions and lizards and all the rest, why not?

Either way, while the population was definitely much reduced from the nuking of most major cities, many thousands of people would survive out in the sticks. And even with the collapse of the former society, death from squabbling over remaining resources or resurgence of things like cholera, and the cancers brought on by all that fallout, quite a lot of those would endure and have kids. It all works, in the context of the game.

In general, though, I'm more interested in going forward, rather than looking back -- especially when we already know how it turns out over the next century.

--Jonah

I remember hearing, what is apparently a myth, that U.S. highways were to be used as emergency landing strips for returning bombers in WW3. I thought it might be cool to have you start the game during the war in a bomber. You come back and land in a clean area and then have to survive. They could even do this, have you get in a vault, and then either be frozen like F4. or If they wanted to avoid that, you could have that guy go in, then jump in time and become a second character, maybe even a son/daughter of the first character.

I'm wondering if at some point they're going to use more of the stuff they got from Interplay when they bought Fallout, they took the Legion out of the rough draft of Fallout 3 so they could have the space platforms and even a lunar colony. Though the Zeta aliens might have wiped it out already.

Is anyone else having trouble with the fast travel targets you can build? I've only tried my Starlight Drive In settlement, but it's always sending me to the default spawn. I'll have to try putting some in other settlements. They always worked before so I don't know if a patch or DLC broke them or what.

I didn't have any issues, i spawn a the drive-in which is inside my bunker. Oddly enough if I take a vertibird to it the thing phases inside the building and lands before leaving again. I've given up on building anymore, they're screwing us armor collectors over by making fiberglass so hard to get for armor stands.

Bethesda did a twitch stream preview of their Vault-Tec Workshop DLC yesterday. Couple of details.

• The radio frequency that begins the quest will occur once you hit level 20. Even if you don't reach that level, you can still enter the vault.
  • The vault number is 88 and is located near Quincy Quarries.
  • Once you activate the workshop in Vault 88, it unlocks the ability to construct vaults ANYWHERE where there's a workshop.
  • (Personal Favorite Part) The placable vault door design, including it's size, lights and animations are straight out of the Vault Doors from the first two games.
  • You can place Support Structures underneath your vault if it goes above land. Nice touch.
  • Workout bikes generate power when settlers use them.
  • Placable barbershop chair added.
  • Terminals can now locate companions (Developers admit this was a heavily requested feature since day 1).

[Inquisitor Peregrinus] @BikerScout, could you perhaps pop down the hall and stick your head in the right door to ask whether The Right People are aware of the Shipbreaker quest bug, and whether they intend to address it? If you don't track the beast right away, it disappears or clips into the ground or something otherwise rendering it unfindable. I and others have gotten to a spot where the radio signal strength is around 99.XX%, but nothing's there, nor ever reappears. I was hoping by the time the new DLC dropped (thank yous to everyone, by the way), this would be patched. Especially for us console users, who can't or are very reluctant to download third-party mods. (Granted, I also keep hoping the cut alternate BoS outcome, where Danse challenges Maxson, will be restored...)

@ Inquisitor Peregrinus. Generally speaking, as bugs are reported in the public, our QA department will be actively searching both internally and externally for bugs to log/report in order to get them in a queue for further checkup. I recommend keeping an eye on the patch notes as that will contain the most recent breakdown of fixes. I can guarantee that QA is aware and will have reported anything that the public reports on an on-going basis.

Last edited:
I'm really trying to get back into the game but the fact that some materials can't be gotten easily from anyone (fiberglass) and the fact that building bases and gizmos is kinda pointless since you can't easily show them off makes it hard. I'd love to download mods but I'm not signing up to the bethesda site just for that, if anything give us a list of okay'd mods and have the makers host them on their own.

One thing that bugs me is that every time I go on the Prydwen you go up (or down?) a ladder to get to the area with the quartermaster. I think they should have made this a cargo lift. Can you imagine having to climb a ladder, in power armor, multiple times a day, with a weapon? How does that trooper with the gatling laser get up there? Not to mention how often that ladder would need replacing after all of that?

Another minor complaint is the T-60 armor, which is my favorite. It kind of broke continuity because in several games the T-51b was the pinnacle of prewar power armor technology in the Fallout universe. They should have said that this is the first power armor the BoS put into production itself. They could even say they used research of Enclave armor to build it after the events of F3. If the Enclave could produce new power armor then surely the BoS could. If they had enough manufacturing capability to make the Prydwen, then making power armor shouldn't be too hard.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back