Fallout 4

One thing you can do to lower the build size bar is collect as much crap as you can and break it while in build mode in your base, it lowers the bar too and it'll go down a good bit depending how much you had. I made trips every 3 days to all the vendors and bought all the junk they had just to break it down and lower the bar and at one point my base was as wide as the drive-in and 8 floors high.

I messed around with the vault a little, but I just did the experiments and then left it.

Here's pics showing how you can build on overpasses that are over you settlement. I think that only two settlements (Finch Farm and Greygarden) can do this. I'm on PC so I'm just assuming console is the same, but maybe not. I also have a mod that removes the settlement size limit (which was just there for consoles anyway).
http://i.imgur.com/ScIY6Ua.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/65k1wXO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eESPZZI.jpg

This is the building on top of the highway.
http://i.imgur.com/tyiscA7.jpg
Now on top of the highway, you can build across both lanes and to each end where it's fallen down: http://i.imgur.com/bQnLZPQ.jpg
Here's one end (windmill generators suck, but look cool up there): http://i.imgur.com/o2AUJnW.jpg
The other end, which is actually outside the workshop area below: http://i.imgur.com/RlGe3ik.jpg

I wish they'd find a way to implement console on consoles to fix all the crap they didn't patch, there's still no fixing McCready's mission if it glitches after a year.

I wish they'd find a way to implement console on consoles to fix all the crap they didn't patch, there's still no fixing McCready's mission if it glitches after a year.

It's been asked for before but Microsoft and Sony won't allow it because of their respective achievements on their platforms. Among other reasons.

I don't get achievements at all. I guess it's like bragging about how many Facebook friends you have or something.

I'm on my second game since launch. One thing that bugs me is when you meet Father after the Battle of Bunker Hill, and later, you never have a chance to tell him why he's wrong. You can tell him the people are good, etc., but not that he's going about it the wrong way. I know when they make these they can only foresee so many options for dialogue, but it just doesn't feel like what a dad would tell his son. Granted Shaun is older, but I'd say that you, particularly playing as a male (why is the mom not a soldier?), have more world experience than Shaun. Oh and not to mention I'm stomping around in BoS power armor! :lol He said "There's no way the BoS could have known about (Bunker Hill)!" Oh and Danse was standing right behind me too.

I just like achievements for doing stuff as it stretches out the life of the game for me sort of when they give you one for every ending it gives you a reason to do them otherwise it's kinda pointless. To me it's like collecting items in the game, you have to try and get them all lol. I always wondered why the mom couldn't be the soldier and dad the lawyer and vice versa, just switch it depending on the gender you pick. It couldn't have been that much.
So replaying Old World Blues in NV and I suddenly realize the game was invaded by Venture Bros as one of the scientists has the same actor as dr venture and sounds like him and with wild wasteland there's those walking eyeballs from the show too.

Last edited:
One of the doctors narrates a lot of shows as well.

Also I wasn't trying to be PC saying the female player should have been a soldier, I just meant to come out of the vault and totally be familiar with combat, be able to use power armor, etc. would make more sense. I guess there's some debate on whether whichever character you choose is then a veteran. Some people say the dialogue isn't specific, and others say it is. I've only played as a guy, so I don't know.

Oh i agree being PC has nothing to do with it as far as i'm concerned, it just would make a lot more sense to her story that she'd know how to use all the weapons and not need armor training had she been a soldier in that storyline.

Of course someone on another board ruined the discussion by saying that in Fallout 3 you are a 19 year old kid and fight like a pro.

My nephew was also asking what happened to The Lone Wanderer from F3. It would be cool if he/she was left in charge of the Citadel when Maxxon leaves.

I'd like to think the Lone Wander in 3 actually learned from the BOS and wasn't that good a fighter until then. To be fair it doesn't take brains to shoot a gun or throw a grenade lol. It's always been that way in Fallout though, the original Vault Dweller didn't know much more than the kid in F3. I'm assuming the vault had combat training for the security folks.

I was explaining to my girlfriend all the mechanics of the game etc this weekend and she was like "wait, your character knows how to craft all this stuff?" and I was like well, you do have to pick up magazines and upgrade your skills to unlock more crafting options, but yeah...

Time passes weirdly in Fallout, in theory you could learn a ton of this stuff but it'd take weeks or months but it's like a comic book universe where a day could really contain 3 years worth of stuff going on. Nuka world is supposedly bigger than far harbor and is going to be out this month but since we're halfway done it'll have to be soon.

Well in another 4 years we'll get fallout 5. They're probably doing another elder scrolls at the moment. One thing i miss about the first game, aside from the humor and weird stuff happening without needing a perk, is that you had 3 characters with different backstories. The stories didn't effect the game much other than they gave you different perks and starting stats.

Was that a new X01 variant i saw? I'm still trying to finish my 3 unfinished suits of it, i saw the nuka paint job for the t51 coming a mile away and left a spot for it in my armory lol. That wild west world with the worm things made me think of Tremors. Glad to see they're expanding the universe with new critters.

Well in another 4 years we'll get fallout 5. They're probably doing another elder scrolls at the moment.

Bethesda has said it's going to be a few years before they do another Elder Scrolls. Apparently, "remastering" Skyrim was more important. :rolleyes Of all the ES games that could actually use remastering, they chose the newest and most gorgeous? They couldn't redo Morrowind? Or even Oblivion? Or even drag the first couple up to a more contemporary standard?

I'm really hoping Bethesda sees and notes player response... *glances sidelong at BikerScout* ...and that the various well-reasoned critiques percolate in their collective mind. Substantive story content added in the DLC. Show some evolution to the setting and factions. Something Dragon Age-y/Mass Effect-y would be nice -- where your actions and endings of prior games affect what you have to work with in new ones. The whole Mad Max/post-apocalyptic thing is fun for a bit, but it needs to get changed up in creative ways. The thrust of the story, all the way back to the first game, was rebuilding civilization after the holocaust. Each subsequent game can be looked at as the process of taming different areas, the previous settings being presumed or said to be stable-ish societies now (like the NCR's arc from Fallout through Fallout 2 to New Vegas). The Brotherhood needs to be handled better. They were going in a good direction through Fallouts 1-3, but Arthur Maxson's bunch in 4 are a definite regression. Yes, it seems he may have been heavily influenced by the Outcasts after Elder Lyons died, but the fact that 4 (as released) doesn't give us a chance to make him see the error of his ways or otherwise fix things is a dropped ball. New "evil" factions in areas you're exploring newly in new games is fine -- Gunners, Rust Devils, Great Khans, Caesar's Legion, etc. -- but for the overall game story arc to mean a damn, they need to either be "turned good" (convincing the Khans to return to their honor-based original principles, for instance) or wiped out... Not just bringing back old antagonists who had evolved and having them be moustache-twirling villains again.

I still feel 4 was halfway to where it could so easily have gotten... Even leaving out the matter of variable levels of settlement-building (an "easy" mode for those who just want to plunk down prefabs and call it done, up to us crazy bastards who gleefully spend hours getting a settlement Just So, down to every last conduit and piece of furniture). The supply lines is a good start, but I feel it makes sense for "corridors" linking adjoining settlements enabling build mode in those spaces once you have both cleared and set up, with the available space gradually expanding as you clear and settle more areas. A bit like "zone creep" in Starcraft. And the fact that the Vault 88 caves are set up exactly like that (once you activate the peripheral workbenches, they get tied in to the main one in the Vault entryway) shows that Bethesda know how to do such a mechanic. Rather than give us infinitely respawning Raiders and Super-Mutants in the various factories and stores and hospitals, how about letting us actually re-civilize the Commonwealth? Let me make the Corvega plant a settlement by having an option to place a workbench after I've cleared it, and then if I opt not to, have Raiders eventually wander back to it.

It seems strange for such a choices-based game to have such a railroad (pun unavoidable) plot line. There are so many potential choices and options that are built into the game mechanics... but just seem to have not been enabled.

--Jonah

The BoS is my main complaint in this game. I really like the BoS and have played both my two games as them. I think the problem with them is that they act like the Enclave. They come in with loudspeakers saying they come in peace, yet the quartermaster directs you to stiff arm settlements into providing free food by threat if necessary. That and, oh BLOWING UP the Institute, which would be full of tech the BoS collects! Not to mention it would be a perfect base for the BoS in the Commonwealth. Hey what's a few hundred years of fallout added to the world?

As for DLC I agree that they need to focus on story DLC in the next game. I would have bet, before the DLCs were announced, that there was going to be a BoS DLC since at the end Maxxon says something about them not being done yet. I would also leave any and all building elements to modders. I really liked the ability to build settlements, but modders can easily fill out our Erector set.

I'm not sure what the business dealings or politics were behind Bethesda letting Obsidian do New Vegas, but I'd say let them do that again. I'd like to see them do West Coast and Bethesda do East coast Fallouts. That way we might not have to wait so long between games.

Bethesda has said it's going to be a few years before they do another Elder Scrolls. Apparently, "remastering" Skyrim was more important. :rolleyes Of all the ES games that could actually use remastering, they chose the newest and most gorgeous? They couldn't redo Morrowind? Or even Oblivion? Or even drag the first couple up to a more contemporary standard?

I'm really hoping Bethesda sees and notes player response... *glances sidelong at BikerScout* ...and that the various well-reasoned critiques percolate in their collective mind. Substantive story content added in the DLC. Show some evolution to the setting and factions. Something Dragon Age-y/Mass Effect-y would be nice -- where your actions and endings of prior games affect what you have to work with in new ones. The whole Mad Max/post-apocalyptic thing is fun for a bit, but it needs to get changed up in creative ways. The thrust of the story, all the way back to the first game, was rebuilding civilization after the holocaust. Each subsequent game can be looked at as the process of taming different areas, the previous settings being presumed or said to be stable-ish societies now (like the NCR's arc from Fallout through Fallout 2 to New Vegas). The Brotherhood needs to be handled better. They were going in a good direction through Fallouts 1-3, but Arthur Maxson's bunch in 4 are a definite regression. Yes, it seems he may have been heavily influenced by the Outcasts after Elder Lyons died, but the fact that 4 (as released) doesn't give us a chance to make him see the error of his ways or otherwise fix things is a dropped ball. New "evil" factions in areas you're exploring newly in new games is fine -- Gunners, Rust Devils, Great Khans, Caesar's Legion, etc. -- but for the overall game story arc to mean a damn, they need to either be "turned good" (convincing the Khans to return to their honor-based original principles, for instance) or wiped out... Not just bringing back old antagonists who had evolved and having them be moustache-twirling villains again.

I still feel 4 was halfway to where it could so easily have gotten... Even leaving out the matter of variable levels of settlement-building (an "easy" mode for those who just want to plunk down prefabs and call it done, up to us crazy bastards who gleefully spend hours getting a settlement Just So, down to every last conduit and piece of furniture). The supply lines is a good start, but I feel it makes sense for "corridors" linking adjoining settlements enabling build mode in those spaces once you have both cleared and set up, with the available space gradually expanding as you clear and settle more areas. A bit like "zone creep" in Starcraft. And the fact that the Vault 88 caves are set up exactly like that (once you activate the peripheral workbenches, they get tied in to the main one in the Vault entryway) shows that Bethesda know how to do such a mechanic. Rather than give us infinitely respawning Raiders and Super-Mutants in the various factories and stores and hospitals, how about letting us actually re-civilize the Commonwealth? Let me make the Corvega plant a settlement by having an option to place a workbench after I've cleared it, and then if I opt not to, have Raiders eventually wander back to it.

It seems strange for such a choices-based game to have such a railroad (pun unavoidable) plot line. There are so many potential choices and options that are built into the game mechanics... but just seem to have not been enabled.

--Jonah

Pete Hines has already explained that it would take much longer to remaster either Morrowind or Oblivion. Those two would literally require a complete rebuild from the ground up. Skyrim had already been ported to the XB1 in order to help Bethesda understand the current gen consoles. So the work was mostly done. All they had to do was upgrade Skyrim's creation engine, add some new stuff to it, such as mod support. And voila, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition.

A mod group is working on remaking Morrowind(Skywind) in the Skyrim engine, and that started several years ago, and their still not done. This same group also plans to remake Oblivion(Skyblivion) in the Skyrim Engine. And I don't think they've even started on Skyblivion yet.

Honestly if they want to make some easy cash they should just put out fallout 1,2, and tactics for consoles. They'd be perfect for selling digital only downloads as they don't take up space and Bethesda keeps putting them out on PC anyways.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back