Fallout 4

It's kinda funny that the unique weapon known as "That Gun" (Deckards gun from Blade Runner) hasn't made a return for this game yet especially because of the whole Synth element.

And it wouldn't be like "That Gun" would be out of place either since it's presence dates all the way back to the original two Fallout games.

Story Review

Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas are like two siblings. They both come from the same family, look identical to each other and even share the same play habits. But like any pair of siblings, they both have their differences that make them very unique from one another in a way that doesn't diminish the other. However, when it comes to the actual parents, things get a little dicey. These parents like to pick favorites, and no where is it more evident with Fallout 4 that Bethesda's favorite child is Fallout 3.

Here's the lowdown. When it comes to Fallout, Bethesda just wants to tell a story that doesn't offer much in the way of variety in how your character becomes shaped by the world around them. Case-in-point, searching for your son. I didn't like this storyline because it made me want to care about something I had no interest in caring about. I'm not a parent, I don't know what it's like to be a parent, and if there's one thing I didn't want in a new Fallout game is to have it be the next 'Heavy Rain'.

Jason!?

Let me clarify. There is nothing wrong with a story like this. At least Heavy Rain was consistent in telling that kind of story. What I don't like is how it's handled in Fallout 4 since it's used as the fundamental motivation of your character in a franchise where you should be able to have a motivation of your own. This story demands that you care about your son so much that doing anything on the side (You know, FALLOUT stuff) feels completely out of character. It robs the player of being able to fully immerse themselves in a new, unknown world when the number one thing on their mind is finding their son. If Bethesda needed to tell this story, they shouldn't have let the player know that their character's son was still alive. Let them enter this wasteland feeling like they've lost everything and see how far you go from there, and boom. Introduce your son a lot later into the story where looking for him is no longer a motivational point. At least everything you do in the game up until that point wouldn't have felt out of place.

Now I'm going to get into territory that has been known to upset a lot of users here so I'm going to hide it in a spoiler field. Last thing I want to do is feel like I'm pushing an agenda when this is a point I have strong feelings over.

If it wasn't for Fallout 4's ability to play as a female character, this game would be the most female unfriendly game I've played since StarCraft 2. Let me explain.

If you play as a male PC, your wife is murdered and locked in a freezer. Upon examining your wife, you vow to find whoever did this. I cannot think of a more literal example of 'Women in Refrigerators' outside of the one comicthat spawned it. Now I know what you're thinking. "Just play as a female character and it will be your husband that gets killed. No dead female character used as motivation for the male character". Well first, dead husband is very unfortunate as well, and second? The game manages to still rely on that dreaded trope in the worst possible way. When you enter Kellogg's mind to find out what he knows about the Institute, you discover that before he was a merc, he had a wife and daughter. It's such a 'by the numbers scene' it shows him promising how he'll protect his wife and daughter and how much his wife is rooting for him. But the very next memory you experience is of him walking down a hallway with a gun and a voice heard in the background,

Voice: (To Kellogg) Just so you know, they died like dogs. And you weren't there to help them.​

And a few moments later, we're treated to the murder of the player's spouse again from Kellogg's point of view, complete with his thoughts on how murdering an unarmed person who was simply protecting their child was the right thing to do. Just because the murdered spouse can be male doesn't mean Bethesda is off the hook for resorting to this disgusting trope because they take it to it's absolute worst with Kellogg's story. I know the Fallout universe is supposed to be dark, ugly and violent, but they were able to showcase that in ways that only the Fallout franchise could. Vault 11 is a prime example of that.

I'll get more into the story when I talk about the dialogue mechanics in a later post, but to summerize, I didn't care about the story. I cared about what I could do in this world which sadly was not the primary focus.

I enjoyed the odd side stories and the stuff you could fill in the blanks just by seeing a corpse or skeletons more. They really could have gone into bladerunner tribute with this a bit more. I agree they could have made some version of "that gun" and put it in or even had some fallout 1 and 2 weapons back like the plasma caster, i'm still waiting for that and the old school fallout melting off the bones effect it had. I am glad that level 50 is no longer a level cap in the game. I demand they let us date more than one character, I have Piper but i want Curie too lol I'm sure the DLC will add a good bit to the game including new weapons and such. Hell i'd be happy to have the ability to make custom signs like in minecraft.
Vault 11 was one of my favorite vaults because it had a twilight zone or outter limits feel to it. So far none of the vaults in this game are all that horrific.

The whole spouse dead, find the son story would work well, if there were any signs at all of the character actually caring about those things while he makes beds for strangers, rescues robots, and shoots random strangers at the request of other random strangers.

Also, is it me, or is Desdomna hot? She looks like a cross between a young Pheobe Buffet and Amy Pond.

Wish she didn't smoke all the time though.

I just realized something: everyone has computers at their jobs or the government but I have yet to see one printer anywhere. You'd think even the government facilities would have the giant dot matrix printers but all you see it typewriters. Yeah I haven't gotten her a new body yet, I'm still exploring the upper half of the map and leveling up.

Last edited:
Vault 11 was one of my favorite vaults because it had a twilight zone or outter limits feel to it. So far none of the vaults in this game are all that horrific.

True on all counts, but I did enjoy Vault 81 for finally giving us a vault who's population wasn't full of selfish a-holes. Vault 13 kicked you out (They got better with Arroyo), Vault City is a crime against humanity, Vault 101 also kicked you out and Vault 21 let Mr. House fill it with concrete (IDIOTS!).

True on all counts, but I did enjoy Vault 81 for finally giving us a vault who's population wasn't full of selfish a-holes. Vault 13 kicked you out (They got better with Arroyo), Vault City is a crime against humanity, Vault 101 also kicked you out and Vault 21 let Mr. House fill it with concrete (IDIOTS!).

True it kinda proves that Vault Tech's plans didn't all go according to plan and kill everyone horribly. I'm wondering why there are so many suits of X01 armor floating around, i have 1 1/2 so far, it's like the Enclave got lazy and just left them sitting. What annoys me as i have 2 suits of raider armor that are "stolen" even though i killed every raider that was in the area. If they're dead it's not really stolen lol

If they wanted us to bond with the kid fast they should have done something like the Last of Us did and they coulda killed the wife off after she got out. She could have been a partner until you get to Lexington and get the armor where she could have sacrificed herself to save others. It's a better way to go than they put in or even have had her (or him if you're the wife) be the head of the Institute and probably come up with another trope for the kid.

If they wanted us to bond with the kid fast they should have done something like the Last of Us did and they coulda killed the wife off after she got out. She could have been a partner until you get to Lexington and get the armor where she could have sacrificed herself to save others. It's a better way to go than they put in or even have had her (or him if you're the wife) be the head of the Institute and probably come up with another trope for the kid.

If I was handed the keys to Fallout 4, I would have given players the option to choose their character's marital status. Single would be for players who want to romance their companions without feeling guilty of cheating or don't want to romance companions at all. A married couple would give the player a romantic companion right off the bat. Yep. I said companion. They wouldn't die in the opening. And why limit your character to a typical straight married couple when you're already advertising that you can romance people of the same sex? Start out with a married couple who can be straight, gay, or interracial (Got that anyways). Has there ever been a game that gave players the option to create a companion in the same fashion as they create their player character? That would have given Fallout 4 a much needed innovative boost that no other series has had up to this point. Naturally there's the question of more voice acting work involved, but this hasn't been an issue for a lot of games of this calibre. Dragon Age: Inquisition gave players four voice options for their character. Two male, two female. You can choose which voice you want for your character and leave the other voice for your significant other.

It kills me to know that all the mechanics to feature this sort of thing are well in place, but the writers/developers chose instead to take the easy route by killing your significant other before the game really begins.

Sadly it's not always the writers, the bigwigs usually end up dictating stuff to fit trends despite being out of touch. ME3 is a good example of where the writers were powerless thanks to 2 people running the show with EA's blessing. I finally started putting more effort into trying to get 100 percent happiness in my town after it went down by 20 points for no reason. I've got 2 triple level houses that i'm working on to try and hit the size requirement and i'm slowly adding more stores and artwork. I really wish they'd all stay the hell out of my private building though, someone is always roaming aorund in there. I now made it a 3 level too with the first level being the garage with my armor projects, level 2 is my room with my finished armors as a museum and the top one i'm not sure yet but i may move my crafting stuff up there.
Does anyone know a good source of adhesives in bulk? Upgrading armor takes a ton of it and trying to find glue and tape is a pain. I also started a few paper props for the game: maintenance paperwork my character can use for his armors, a government vehicle permit based on a ww2 one, and some vault tech stuff. All based off ww2 documents since they're the closest to the Fallout universe.
Apparently Lootcrate had a special fallout edition crate, my friend's wife grabbed me a Vault boy bobblehead that was in it.

Last edited:
can anybody help me with this:

i have lost my dog and codsworth where can i find them to get them as companion again? ( i know i can only have one at a time)

Yea, once it's going good, adhesives aren't the bottleneck anymore. Screws start being the next big one from what I hear, but I've been good on those so far. Scrapper perk helps

No i'm on PS4
i checked in sanctuary and at the red rocket gas station but nothing :(

Dangit. If you were on PC I would have given you the codes to summon yourself to their location so you can see where they run off to. Dismissing companions hasn't worked for me at all even when I'm in the very place I'm dismissing them to. Curie for example always goes back to Vault 81, even though I tell her to go back to sanctuary.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back