Emu Replica

riceman

Does anyone know if the newer EMU has a cage around the shoulder? Like the xEMU. And does anyone have any ideas I could employ for the locking mechanism for the helmet and neck ring? The first image is the older EMU and the second is the newer EMU. And does anybody know what cloth i can use in replacement of orthofabric?

Attachments

• (m) bearing view.jpg
    (m) bearing view.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 53
  • jsc2008e031867~large.jpg
    jsc2008e031867~large.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 41
Does anyone know if the newer EMU has a cage around the shoulder? Like the xEMU. And does anyone have any ideas I could employ for the locking mechanism for the helmet and neck ring? The first image is the older EMU and the second is the newer EMU. And does anybody know what cloth i can use in replacement of orthofabric?
You could PM imgill;)

Hover over the link lmgill , then select "Start conversation".

You could also do what Space 1999 did for their suits. Just make a neck ring slightly larger than the helmet and have latches or screws on the sides. Or you can small magnets to hold the helmet in place.

TazMan2000

Hover over the link lmgill , then select "Start conversation".

You could also do what Space 1999 did for their suits. Just make a neck ring slightly larger than the helmet and have latches or screws on the sides. Or you can small magnets to hold the helmet in place.

TazMan2000
nah i wan it to lock the same way it does in real life by sliding it over and having pins come out and go into holes in the neck ring

nah i wan it to lock the same way it does in real life by sliding it over and having pins come out and go into holes in the neck ring

My suggestion works the same way, but you can modify it by having the helmet go around the neck ring and not inside it.

TazMan2000

So some EMU info
When you say "cage" I'm not sure to what you are referring. There is a shoulder style, developed by Litton for the extended Apollo missions, called a rolling convolute, which was further developed on the Mark II suit. Is this what you are calling a cage?
There were two styles of EMU HUT, one with an articulated bearing at the shoulder (single plane) and another without the articulation, with just a fixed bearing. There is a FRP HUT on Orbital Surplus right now that was made using a real hard upper torso plug.
As far at helmet disconnects with 8 retracting pins.
These are pretty complex, requiring about 35 precisely machined parts in stainless steel and aluminum. The aluminum must be anodized, otherwise the aluminum is to "waxy/ sticky" to make things move smoothly.
In the near future, I will be offering some Gemini / S-1030 beringed helmet disconnects that are nearly identical to the real ones (only missing internal seals) with a16 pin engagement, they will be in the $3500 price range. But these are an 1" smaller in diameter than the EMU rings and do not have the proper HUT mounting surface arrangement.

Here is the ring without anodizing. (Gemini would be light blue and the S-1030 is Class 1 anodizing, which is a mottled light grey with a black release)
IMG_5373.jpg

A less expensive alternative is ball detents or spring plungers.
As far as material, we have not found a substitute for the Ortho fabric that looks close. Most replica suits just use a Nylon or pack cloth fabric, which we use on our lower grade suit replicas, as Ortho fabric is not being made, unless custom ordered, and if some is available it's $450/yrd.

Yes, it is LMGILL

So some EMU info
When you say "cage" I'm not sure to what you are referring. There is a shoulder style, developed by Litton for the extended Apollo missions, called a rolling convolute, which was further developed on the Mark II suit. Is this what you are calling a cage?
There were two styles of EMU HUT, one with an articulated bearing at the shoulder (single plane) and another without the articulation, with just a fixed bearing. There is a FRP HUT on Orbital Surplus right now that was made using a real hard upper torso plug.
These are pretty complex, requiring about 35 precisely machined parts in stainless steel and aluminum. The aluminum must be anodized, otherwise the aluminum is to "waxy/ sticky" to make things move smoothly.
In the near future, I will be offering some Gemini / S-1030 beringed helmet disconnects that are nearly identical to the real ones (only missing internal seals) with a16 pin engagement, they will be in the $3500 price range. But these are an 1" smaller in diameter than the EMU rings and do not have the proper HUT mounting surface arrangement.

Here is the ring without anodizing. (Gemini would be light blue and the S-1030 is Class 1 anodizing, which is a mottled light grey with a black release)
View attachment 1796300

As far as material, we have not found a substitute for the Ortho fabric that looks close. Most replica suits just use a Nylon or pack cloth fabric, which we use on our lower grade suit replicas, as Ortho fabric is not being made, unless custom ordered, and if some is available it's $450/yrd.

Yes, it is LMGILL
yes i mean rolling convolute like is employed on the xEMU i was wondering if that was on the newer emu and for tthe emu neck ring i think i have a plan for that and for the pivoted and planar i think i will be doing a planar as it is much simpler

yes i mean rolling convolute like is employed on the xEMU i was wondering if that was on the newer emu and for tthe emu neck ring i think i have a plan for that and for the pivoted and planar i think i will be doing a planar as it is much simpler
theotherthingyouwillneedislooptapetojoinyourtmgtotheoutsideofthehutthisisdifficulttofindbutisvisibleinmanyplacesoryoucouldusevelcrolikethelatersuit

So some EMU info

View attachment 1796300

Yes, it is LMGILL
but does the newer one imploy a rolling convolute

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back