Dredd (Post-release)

"Use your respirator." Dredd doesn't use the helmet respirator. Totally cool fan serving opportunity missed.:facepalm
Well, given that this is a new artistic interpretation of the Judge's uniforms, meant to be more realistic, clearly the costume designer(s) decided that this version doesn't have the respirator built into the helmet. This is no different than all the numerous artistic interpretations of Batman's costume over the decades. Between the comics, cartoons, live-action TV series, movies, and video games, we've easily seen many DOZENS of variations on his outfit and gear. This is no different. ;)

Last edited:
Or enough ammunition to do a day's work.

I'm sure if a Judge's work day involved fighting four other judges, they would have packed more ammo. I think Dredd and Anderson were doing pretty well in that regard, especially after fighting 40+ perps before the Judges showed up.

Any kind of word on how well this is doing on DVD/Blu-ray sales?
I'm hoping that strong sales and continued word of mouth could warrent a sequel.

Well, they were cut off from reinforcements, and from their vehicles. I think they did pretty well to have their ammo last as long as it did under the circumstances.

Its doing pretty well on Play.coms pre-order list (for blu-ray)..

Re: Den of Geek article mentioned above...I can't find any logic in a film distributor wanting any of their films to not do well regardless of whether the execs liked it or not....why would they not it to do well enough to warrant a sequel?

And I agree on the sentiment of Dredd being perfect for a tv show...maybe even an animated one. I thought Tron -Uprising was a good example of a futuristic looking weekly show, pity there won't be a second season of it though :(

Well, they were cut off from reinforcements, and from their vehicles. I think they did pretty well to have their ammo last as long as it did under the circumstances.

Right? It was very realistic that they actually ran out of ammo unlike other action films where they aren't carrying extra rounds yet their weapon lasts the whole movie.

Its doing pretty well on Play.coms pre-order list (for blu-ray)..

Re: Den of Geek article mentioned above...I can't find any logic in a film distributor wanting any of their films to not do well regardless of whether the execs liked it or not....why would they not it to do well enough to warrant a sequel?

Because Hollywood is full of ego bull and some of those people would sooner shoot themselves in the foot than admit they are wrong.

Going through the movie again. I've just gotta say, isn't it refreshing that we have a villain in a movie who is just flat out evil? No redeeming qualities, no "they don't look at themselves as the villain" type trope? I look at interviews with a lot of movie directors who don't want their villains to be two dimensional bad guys because they think having a good side to them would make them more interesting. That they see what they are doing as the right thing. And while that has lead to many memorable villains, that doesn't mean a villain who is flat out evil can't be interesting either.

I thought Mama was a very effective villain for the film not only because of the evil she does, but also as a reflection to how bad society has become in the Dredd universe. The rate of crime is so high and so out of control that people like Mama can do the things they do and still get away with it. She doesn't even try to hide the fact that she wants the two judges dead in a densely populated building!

DREDD is just plain fun to watch.
I still scratch my head as to why this did not perform better in theatres with all the good word of mouth there was.
I suppose it was just undermarketed and the timing was not right.
Here's hoping for big home video sales!!

I managed to badger a friend to see it in theaters, and in the process wound up making another friend, nerd bonding over the costuming and props.
What I particularly liked about the film is that despite the lipservice over Mama being able to take over Mega City 1's drug market, it's just one particularly bad shift for the judges.

What I particularly liked about the film is that despite the lipservice over Mama being able to take over Mega City 1's drug market, it's just one particularly bad shift for the judges.

Well, for the four way split gang it was the worst shift ever. For Dredd? Well, he DID bring a friend... but he didn't even pack a lunch. Just another Monday.

DREDD is just plain fun to watch.
I still scratch my head as to why this did not perform better in theatres with all the good word of mouth there was.
I suppose it was just undermarketed and the timing was not right.
Here's hoping for big home video sales!!

I remember when Dredd 3D's commercial came on. They scaled a building and showing the title of them movie. It wasn't bad enough that it was a 3D movie (Oh my god Ghost Rider 2 should have never been in theaters), but they didn't even try with the trailer.

I only got to see this awesome action movie because of an editors top 10 list. I'm so lucky I followed through. I loved the way Dredd controlled the whole situation even when he shouldn't have been. Even when he did some tired out movie troupe it was awesome. And that's hard to do.

And of course

Dredd: Let's talk.
Bad Guy: Talk about WHAT Judge
Dredd: Release the hostage; unharmed and I gareentee you a sentence of life in an iso cube without parole.
Bad guy: Life without parole?! That's the deal you offer?!!

I lol'd so hard at that

While there was awesome action, and it reminded me very much of the 80's over the top action, I grew up with. I felt the slow motion gore effects, and gun shot wounds were a little too over the top/fake looking. Some of the plot points, and added nonsense, such as the sexual thoughts being telepathically conveyed were lame and pointless. Overall C+ in my book.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Well at least we will never have a Matrix Reloaded & Revolutions scenario with Dredd!

I'm buying two copies on blu-ray; one for me one to send to a friend to get him into it. Hopefully many do the same and the demand for a sequel becomes obvious.

Well at least we will never have a Matrix Reloaded & Revolutions scenario with Dredd!

The Matrix was a film that for all intents and purposes told it's story and concluded in such a way that it didn't need a sequel. Dredd on the other hand is based on a property that has told many stories and the movie DREDD barely scratched the surface. If anything, DREDD could be looked at as an establishing movie designed to give audiences a full fledged look at the universe before diving into the real stories that affect more than just one building.

I watched it and enjoyed it again. For all the blood and gore, I still found some scenes beautifully shot. I feel bad that this thing was given an update and thrown into a slightly "real world" scenario like how Batman was, and yet snubbed so badly.

Usually, when I see a movie that just doesn't cut it, I go through it in my mind and think of changes I would have made to make it better, but, in retrospect, I really couldn't think of anything for Dredd. This is one of those movies I'm going to pull out every so often and watch, unlike so many of the other movies I've bought, watched once, and reside in a box someplace in my house....

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back