Dredd (Post-release)

Yes, there were barely anyone in watching it when I watched it in the theater... and considering how many were in watching something like Lockout or whatever it's called... I was just surprised as hell no more showed up. Seems to be similar all-round regarding attendance. I don't understand it at all.

well, it was allmost as poorly marketed as john carter, what would you expect. i loved the movie, but here in europe, its probably even less profitable

Actually, 2000 AD being a UK comic, I'd expect SLIGHTLY better reception in Europe. But only slightly. I really didn't see much marketing at all on this.

Usually I boycott movies that get released here months after other markets and are just weeks away from a Region B video release. Nevertheless I really wanted to watch Dredd and after being sick when it came out in mid november I finally watched it in early december (with the only showings at 11pm after only two weeks in release).

When the end credits roled I was deeply impressed having seen one of the years best movies and at the same time totally pissed that it tanked so badly that the two sequels won't get made...

I never read any Dredd comics (same problem as always: where to start?) and enjoyed that Stallone vehicle so much that I have no desire ever watching it again after seeing it once in 95. But while some fans were "unhappy" with the first Dredd 3D photos released I really liked where this was going and the trailer ensured my purchase of a ticket.

Usually I'm suspicious when a (non comedy) movie runs close to the 90 minute mark, but in this case I loved how the movie itself just as its main character was straight to the point. I like a well told backstory, however this worked great without telling what childhood issues Dredd might have had. What further intrigued me was that the action and violence wasn't watered down by silly one liners. No damsel in distress and not the slightest hint of a love story. I also liked how this was more or less just another day at work and not a "Dredd saves the city" scale story. I pretty much agree with everything Art Andrews said about this movie (http://www.therpf.com/f47/dredd-post-release-159631/index3.html#post2488005). I was a bit worried that the SloMo effect would be overdone, but with this and everything else from start to finish they really knew exactly what they were doing and the movie as a whole turned out great.

Concerning any sequels: Not gonna happen. I'd love to be wrong, but according to Dredd (2012) - Box Office Mojo, the movie made less than $33 on a $50 million budget. They said Dredd would have had to make $50 million in north america alone to warrant a sequel and the worldwide gross isn't even close to that.

Anyway, looking forward to get my Blu-Ray from Amazon UK next week.

Here is a good review of the Blu-Ray (as well as the movie itself): Blu-ray Review: Dredd | High-Def Digest

Dude, why be suspicious? 90 minutes is the perfect length for a narrative. It allows a very clean distribution of the three acts. Where many longer films tend to come off lop-sided in one way or another.

Anyway, it's just a shame that Dredd was basically killed in the crib without proper marketing. Who the hell had the idea that the only marketing push should be more of a tap (referring to the few internet banners and such).

Just caught this. I'll have to say I thought it was pretty dog gone good. Straight to the point, with no apologies for what it was. And hey--no unmasking!!! You never see the guy's face!! That's got to be a first!!

Dude, why be suspicious? 90 minutes is the perfect length for a narrative. It allows a very clean distribution of the three acts. Where many longer films tend to come off lop-sided in one way or another.

Anyway, it's just a shame that Dredd was basically killed in the crib without proper marketing. Who the hell had the idea that the only marketing push should be more of a tap (referring to the few internet banners and such).

The was an article sometime ago on Den of Geek about the crappy distribution and lack of advertisement for Dredd.
The story is that the execs at Lionsgate hated the movie and didn't want to release it after viewing the final cut (but had to release due to contract) so it was decided to purposely have the movie fail at market so a sequel would never see the light of day.
That's why theaters only saw 1 or 2 showings a day for it's run (even on opening day), there were no 2D showings and their was zero put into promoting the film.

This Dredd was so far above and beyond Stallone's Judge Dredd it is a joke.

"I am da lawb!"

Jeez...whata cartoon.

I had skepticism about Dr. McCoy as Dredd. He was awesome. The fact that you never see Urban's Dredd without his helmet while Stallone can't lose his fast enough says it all right there. JUDGE DREDD is a Stallone movie. DREDD is an ultra violent cop/rookie movie with better acting, better effects, better story and no Deuce Bigelow.

Watched the Blu Ray last night. Gonna watch it again as soon as my daughter goes to bed.

The was an article sometime ago on Den of Geek about the crappy distribution and lack of advertisement for Dredd.
The story is that the execs at Lionsgate hated the movie and didn't want to release it after viewing the final cut (but had to release due to contract) so it was decided to purposely have the movie fail at market so a sequel would never see the light of day.
That's why theaters only saw 1 or 2 showings a day for it's run (even on opening day), there were no 2D showings and their was zero put into promoting the film.
Maybe where you are, but where I am, they had showings ALL DAY LONG, and in 2D! That's how I watched it on the big screen, as I refuse to pay extra for a 3D showing.

Movie's awesome and deserves to be a massive success on DVD, Blu-Ray, and on-demand/digital, despite Lionsgate's bungling of the release! Anyone got a link to a site that's tracking the "home video" grosses for Dredd? :confused

Wow seems like Lionsgate loves doing this to films! They did the same damn thing to Punisher Warzone back in December of 2008. They also butchered the marketing on the Conan reboot in 2011....not sure if that one was intentional but from the commercials and trailers I saw it is hard to believe it wasn't....or maybe they are completely clueless.

Damn shame Dredd went the way it did it was one of my favorite films of 2012 and most certainly my 2nd fav comic book film of the year right behind the Avengers.

Wait... I need to take a screenshot of this or something.. we've found a film that Jeyl actually LIKES!! :behave

Yeah. A film that not only surpasses the original by leaps and bounds, but is also made by film makers who weren't afraid to discuss what it actually is. It's like everyone involved knew what they wanted, and it stayed that way all the way to the film's release!

DREDD: We're making a Judge Dredd movie. It will be a more faithful take than the Stallone movie since our goal is to keep the spirit of the original comics. Dark, violent with the main character never removing his helmet. We know what we want, and we're not going to hold back.

PROMETHEUS: We're making a movie that may or may not be connected with ALIEN. It will stand completely on it's own, even though a lot of unanswered questions will depend on potential sequels. We're not sure if it's going to be "PG-13" or "R" rated, so we're going to do things both ways. We're also not sure if some of our monsters will be practical or CGI, so that will also be done both ways. Our director is constantly changing his mind and we are now stuck with a not-old actor playing a very-old character.

I think Dredd is more suited to be a weekly tv series. I think it could be done on a low budget, but still be impressive visually. Smaller individual stories with hints at a larger story taking place over the entire season would be very entertaining. People could really get to know the characters. Then maybe another movie.

Yeah, the first movie definitely lent itself well to that concept. Especially with the judges only being able to respond to 6% of crimes reported. Gives a very periodic setting of little stories. It would parallel the CSI and Bones type of series with small, vignette stories that are solved or not within the timeframe of one episode.

I would definitely enjoy that more than those cop shows. However... is there a TV station brave enough to feature the kind of violence that is embedded in the show?

Definitely an idea.

I'm just pissed that I have to wait until the 29th to get this movie in my hands. WAAAAAAH, I want it NOW! :cry

Maybe AMC? Walking Dead is pretty violent. If they want to go full tilt, put it on HBO.

There needs to be more weekly sci fi shows. I miss Battlestar Galactica.

I would love to see another sequel to the Dredd movie for I really loved the story line, the raw action which wasn't watered down and the whole dredd character in this one but unfortunately I also don't see that happening. The movie, characters and story are very well done and down to earth, real. Dredd can be hurt which he was shot in this movie but still manages to come out on top..... I like that. That's what made the Die Hard movies so popular is seeing the main character being able to get actually injured but still win which wasn't really done in movies around that time period.

Saw it. Pretty good, slightly better than the Buena Vista production.
Slightly better? SLIGHTLY? :confused

Okay, you now have HOMEWORK. Go and get your hands on a copy of Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files Vol. 1. READ IT. Then tell me the new film is only slightly better than the Stallone version! :p

Judge Dredd was a big-budget, mid-'90s Hollywood Sky-Fi vehicle for Sly Stallone. DREDD is an ACCURATE recreation of the dark, visceral, noirish feel of the early Judge Dredd comic strips by John Wagner, Carlos Ezquera, Mike McMahon, etc. And you'd know that if you'd actually READ the original comic strips. ;)

Slightly better? SLIGHTLY? :confused

Okay, you now have HOMEWORK. Go and get your hands on a copy of Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files Vol. 1. READ IT. Then tell me the new film is only slightly better than the Stallone version! :p

:lol Don't get frustrated with CB2001. He damns with faint praise frequently. He worries that enthusiasm for cinematic production will compromise his mantle as celluloid sophisticate and betray him as a gibbering fanboy like the rest of us. :lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back