Dredd (Post-release)

I hope this does better on home video so they make a sequel. I've heard rumors that the creators wanted to try a Judge Death story.

I wouldn't count on a sequel. Just enjoy the film and leave it at that. Don't hold your breath otherwise.

I hear Atlas Shrugged Part I was a flop both critically and commercially and for such an anti-hero premise that doesn't work in today's world, it still managed to get a sequel made. I think if a poorly done film like Atlas Shrugged Part I can get a sequel, I think Dredd has a decent chance. Not saying it's guaranteed to happen, but I'll continue to do my part and spread the word out on how awesome this movie was.

Ah, but Atlas Shrugged has a political element which helps it secure financial backing. People want that movie to be made to get across a political message, not just to tell a story. Dredd's just another sci-fi movie trying to make a buck.

Ah, but Atlas Shrugged has a political element which helps it secure financial backing. People want that movie to be made to get across a political message, not just to tell a story. Dredd's just another sci-fi movie trying to make a buck.

Well, at least that leaves Dredd with something that Atlas Shrugged does not.

Well i hate to say it as i had low expectations but its the best Movie i have watched all year just waiting for the Bluray to arrive now :)

He's also not the type to just leave a bum scurry off without any kind of punishment.

In the comics (movie established this as well) Judges can only respond to about 6% of the crime reported or actively happening around them.

Re-watched the movie and Dredd asks Anderson if they should arrest the bum or not (as it's her evaluation). Anderson makes the call to leave the bum as the murder investigation has to take importance; hence Dredd warning him afterwards.

I don't know the comic books, but I would think you'd be more forgiving as a younger cop, than you'd be when you are older and more weary and fed up with the scum of the city that just keeps getting worse and worse. A more natural progression would be going from letting the occasional bad guy go if the reason for doing so works for Dredd, to a more stern, no-deals approach.

12 years of having the law drummed into them and a desire to make a difference in Mega-City created Judges that were typically harsher fresh out of the Academy.
After a long tour on the streets is when Judges started to question the Justice system and it's affects on the populace; getting softer or deciding they're finished with the whole thing and taking the long walk into the cursed earth (Dredd has done both).

Because it did poorly at the box office, and because it's not an easily sold brand here in the States.

It could do better in home video which would push it into cult status. With better marketing and a stronger following it could happen. It might not be likely and I am not holding my breath but it isn't impossible.

I think Dredd is more suited to be a weekly tv series. I think it could be done on a low budget, but still be impressive visually. Smaller individual stories with hints at a larger story taking place over the entire season would be very entertaining. People could really get to know the characters. Then maybe another movie.

I think Dredd is more suited to be a weekly tv series. I think it could be done on a low budget, but still be impressive visually. Smaller individual stories with hints at a larger story taking place over the entire season would be very entertaining. People could really get to know the characters. Then maybe another movie.
Yeah, the first movie definitely lent itself well to that concept. Especially with the judges only being able to respond to 6% of crimes reported. Gives a very periodic setting of little stories. It would parallel the CSI and Bones type of series with small, vignette stories that are solved or not within the timeframe of one episode.

I would definitely enjoy that more than those cop shows. However... is there a TV station brave enough to feature the kind of violence that is embedded in the show?

Definitely an idea.

I'm just pissed that I have to wait until the 29th to get this movie in my hands. WAAAAAAH, I want it NOW! :cry

It could do better in home video which would push it into cult status. With better marketing and a stronger following it could happen. It might not be likely and I am not holding my breath but it isn't impossible.

They said the same for Serenity and the Stargate films. "The DVD will save it!"

So far, neither has proven true. I don't see that changing with Dredd. It's possible, but I think it's pretty unlikely.

I wouldn't normally agree with this kind of hope; but I just saw the movie and am honestly ashamed I didn't support it in the theater. I can't be alone.

I saw it in 3D in the theater and was one of maybe 6 people in the entire place at the 8pm showing. It was sad. I think it's gonna take a LOT of DVD/BR purchases to change the studio's mind, sadly. It's a solid action film with a rich background from which to draw...but I don't think that'll matter in the end.

Not trying to be a wet blanket here, just trying to be realistic.

I wouldn't normally agree with this kind of hope; but I just saw the movie and am honestly ashamed I didn't support it in the theater. I can't be alone.

Bow your head in shame:( :lol

It was sad. There were so many moments were a packed theater would have been loud and awestruck!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back