Dredd 2012 Lawgiver

Build a thread i would love to see this I'm not tech savvy enough to tackle anything like that without a good reference

apologies all for absence, basically, Christmas/birthdays/trips/my new job has left very little time (and money due to temporary weekly pay messing with monthly bill payments) to get this build going, however things are starting to move in a more positive direction, this build is still on the cards, have a few other projects to finish but over the next few weeks, just in the middle of painting up a vinyl Dredd kit, then i have my halcyon '95 Dredd kit that my bro got me for Christmas to build/paint, then my '95 helmet to finish up, have promised myself not to start anything new till those are done

I'll be starting to stock up on materials and suchlike soon though in anticipation, depending on how adventurous i feel i may also be tackling a '95 lawgiver scratch build along with this one.

and blu-ray already bought and watched twice.

The wip pics are amazing. You have inspired me to work on this next after I finish up on my badges. Keep up the great work!

What 3D package do you plan on using when you start modeling this up?
Looks like I might have to make a trip to buy an airsoft gun and measure it all up in order start on mine. This thread has gotten me really excited about this prop.

Not wanting to throw a spanner in the works , but somewhere inside this 'beast' there lies a linear acctuator connected to the barrels on the up stroke it extends the 'silencer' and withdraws the larger 'flash suppressor' barrel and does the reverse on the down stroke all supposedly voice activated with the corresponding screen display. Ditto on the ammunition fired and memory of what's loaded (like the Stallone Lawgiver 1) We know it works because of what was said in the interviews in the featurette's and articles in the magazines, obviously a power supply 9V , a microprocessor, memory, sound board and LCD display and some very clever processing all on a 'working' gun that could be filmed on set a functioning SFX if you will. Now I could build it because I've had an actuator made up but the computer , electronics and soundboard are beyond my limited electronic skills -- anyone up for the challenge ??

The display looks like an OLED, the sort of thing you'd find in a car radio, or an LCD with a blue EL backlight. Either would be similar enough for television. The lettering "HIGH EX" is seven pixels high and the suggestion elsewhere that it's a 144 by 32 pixel display is not unreasonable. Someone more dedicated than me could probably find a reasonably high res still and confirm that by counting dots, or at least by counting fuzzy blotches. Do we have an accurate set of dimensions for the size of the display cutout? It is of course not necessarily the case that we're seeing the entire display.

These displays are not, as far as microcontroller work goes, particularly difficult to use. I would avoid the Crystalfontz one as, while they're very good and extremely easy to use, they're a bit bulkier than a bare display. Even a bare display would be extremely difficult to fit in there with a working glock, although if you were willing to partially disassemble the LCD device you could strip it down to the glass plate, the backlight, and the polariser. The polarisers do scratch incredibly easily, though, so you might want to throw in at least a layer of acetate over it. That could be extremely thin, but I still don't think there's any way of fitting a working display in with a working airsoft gun. The EL backlight would require a (tiny) inverter and the whole thing some form of power supply. I dunno, though, maybe you could cram it in the front "magazine".

I'd write the code on an AVR, because that's what I happen to be used to, but there are a number of ways it could be done. This is not something I have time to do pro bono, unfortunately.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back