Doctor Strange

This is just my pure speculation but I don't think you will see RDJ quit being Iron Man anytime soon. My reasoning for this is the same reasoning as why we have a thousand Pirates of the Caribbean movies. He has to do the I will make you a ton of money movie if you let me make my other film. Prime example is Sherlock Holmes it just so happened to turn into a huge money maker as well. Again IMO.

I don't think anyone on this thread thought RDJ was quitting, he's already signed for the next 2 Avengers films. AFAIK for Phase 3, he doesn't have a solo film in the works.

I don't think anyone on this thread thought RDJ was quitting, he's already signed for the next 2 Avengers films. AFAIK for Phase 3, he doesn't have a solo film in the works.

Exactly. Just because he doesn't presently have a contract containing future solo IM flicks doesn't mean they can't do them under different deals or that he's quitting.

Look at Depp in Polanski's Ninth Gate. The nuance and curiosity with which he brought to that role sets him up perfectly for Doctor Strange. You need someone with Depp's experience and gravitas to step in and direct the Avengers in matters of the Marvel Universe, especially when it pertains to an Infinity Gauntlet story arc - which is where Disney and Marvel Studios is headed. Gary Oldman is great, but Johnny in Strange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well said!

i'll believe Hamm as Strange when i see an official press release. I like the idea of Depp as Strange, but i think moviegoers are a little burnt out with Depp right now, not unlike most of the people complaining about his casting rumors. Personally, i think someone like Dermot Mulroney has the chops, look, and is age appropriate to take on a role like Dr Strange.

MV5BMTMyNjI0MDYwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTIzMDEwNw@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Well they're doing Guardians of the Galaxy so I doubt Dr.Strange is gonna be much of a stretch,and lest one forgets Strange goes into the spirit realm too so...yep Ghost Rider and Blade can get tied in too.

I liked the first Ghost Rider hokey as it was,didn't care for the second and thought Blade was meh-however if we get to see these guys in a new film and maybe with Strange? oh yea this could be good.

I can't picture Leto signing a multi-picture deal for mainstream movies. Marvel may like him but I don't see the reverse. He's also a bit too much of a nut job for my tastes.

I'm sure they recognize that Dr. Strange is one property that needs to be handled with great care.
It really needs to be handled by someone who can appreciate that the comic straddles realms of fantasy/horror in a way that have yet to be portrayed on screen.
In the wrong hands a director who isn't committed to the comic will have to draw upon works of Tim Burton, Peter Jackson, Guillermo Del Toro, David Lynch, Cronenberg, and the Harry Potter films. Those aren't bad but Dr. Strange needs a strong visual design but remains principally character-driven as a drama.

Last edited:
I can't picture Leto signing a multi-picture deal for mainstream movies. Marvel may like him but I don't see the reverse. He's also a bit too much of a nut job for my tastes.

Agreed, he's a little kooky. But dude can act and, should he be chosen, he will do what he has to in order to put on a great performance.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back