Good luck seeing that bolt pin in those photos :oops:

But the trigger you can see. The hammer don’t forget is another easy tell.
The one Luke image looks good. Can't "really" make out the trigger definitively.
The holster shot looks good color wise...

BUT if the holstered image is from a SW tour... if it is on tour and display it HAS to be deactivated if it's a real Mauser. They couldn't have it on display if it were capable of firing...even blanks.

I want to add the stembridge was definitely fired. 1) I posted a shot somwehere down the barrel when Han is firing and you can see the flash in the barrel and 2) Brandon A posted photos showing the allen socket choke in the barrel tip

The ESB ones I've always thought were fired a few times on screen, greeblies popped off leaving the sides bare and stuff too. If there were reason to believe they were MGCs I feel like we would have already done that. Always glad to hash out new theories though

Yes in the bunker battle scene to shoot a trooper in the head. Merci

Is it before or after Han yells BANG to shoot open the door....
6:45

Was watching the scene. Han shooting outside door?

The gun does cycle ( you can see the bolt move and case fly) but no big flash. Could be a cap fire? Could be blank fire...

Is this the Stembrige? How do we know? From location?

Outside the door while Leila is trying the keypad.
A011B0CA-0D9F-4D08-A889-1557FA5F41D2.jpeg

Yep. The gun he uses cycles the bolt.
How do we know that is the Stembridge?
Is it based on the filming location and info about the maker?

No it’s not from a prop tour but taken on set I imagine?
5DBBED90-C9DA-4E80-806B-81985C6281E3.png

Here are the features of both an c96 and MGC. I used a resin casting to start but mostly pictures off the web for the details to remodel the c96 tigger/hammer (Edit: forgot I bought a c96 trigger so I actually used that) and an actual MGC to remodel those two..
13525546-13C3-46C3-9231-8AA81B3B75BC.png

Obviously these images are not the best but you can see the details enough IMHO (along with that photo of Solo in his Bespin gear) to use some deductive reasoning..
6D677F44-45C5-4815-8A80-126B8CCD4697.jpeg

As thd9791 mention the Stembridge was most definitely a live fire not and MGC as you can make out easily in these pictures correct?
01A9CCF8-7F16-4BF1-8AF7-621AE739AF4E.png

Here it is from the film itself..
DC3FF465-F10E-4AC0-A87B-41D0E7A2F53A.jpeg
D94B751D-6554-463F-9161-F91F50488801.jpeg
CED6695F-7DED-4096-9342-7A385B174D93.jpeg
8A43A87C-A216-4D7A-B766-8DD73CE1132B.jpeg
90EC2860-DFA9-4395-AFED-9231E954D57B.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep. The gun he uses cycles the bolt.
How do we know that is the Stembridge?
Is it based on the filming location and info about the maker?
Yes, the exterior Endor scenes were shot in the US, and Stembridge armory based in Los Angeles, provided weapons to the production during the shoot.
Some of the info is based on assumptions, some is screen matching to later pics.

Yes, the exterior Endor scenes were shot in the US, and Stembridge armory based in Los Angeles, provided weapons to the production during the shoot.
Some of the info is based on assumptions, some is screen matching to later pics.

Makes sense.

And yes Chubs, the Stembridge looks to be a real C96.

Great info. Thanks guys!

No it’s not from a prop tour but taken on set I imagine?View attachment 1536946
Here are the features of both an c96 and MGC. I used a resin casting to start but mostly pictures off the web for the details to remodel the c96 tigger/hammer and an actual MGC to remodel those two..
View attachment 1536947

Obviously the these images are not the best but you can see the details enough IMHO (along with that photo of Solo in his Bespin gear) to use some deductive reasoning..
View attachment 1536948

As thd9791 mention the Stembridge was most definitely a live fire not and MGC as you can make out easily in these pictures correct?View attachment 1536945
Here it is from the film itself..View attachment 1536950View attachment 1536951View attachment 1536952View attachment 1536953View attachment 1536954
Great post, and well illustrated point.

Owning both MGCs and Real Mausers they are quite easy to tell apart. Little things here and there but a major one being the size. Real mausers are much slimmer and more sleek. Without doubt, only MGC identified in ESB was the hoth version.

Also for reference the MGC’s from ROTJ. This is the one that was used in the film itself. You can see they tried to repaint it by simply spraying it down. They didn’t even try to clean it up and you can see the chipping still on the mount. You can tell by looking not only at the chipping but the milling on the left side. It’s more of an oval shape and the cut across is centered. This one toured..
FADA20E3-0285-41AE-869F-6FE39D731426.png

Not to be confused with the above blaster. This is the “auction” blaster that recently came to light. No evidence of it actually appearing onscreen. Notice the milling details on the left. The shape is more circular and the cut across is not centered as it is in the “Endor” (also inside the bunker) blaster.

The milling is also the opposite here on the Auction blaster than it is on the Endor blaster. On the Endor the oval milling is deeper while on this auction blaster the sideways milling is deeper. You can see by the shadow casted.

Some discrepancies even within these picture below.. the top of the screw that is holding on the bottom greeblie (right/mount side) is filled in with putty (or something) while on the bottom (b/w photo) it isn’t. But it appears to be the same blaster by the milling and how the scope head (front bell) sits. Clearly it broke over time and got weathered..
290EB828-473F-4A84-ADC4-EFD270670DDA.png

This 2nd blaster that appears onscreen in ROTJ is most definitely an MGC (Endor or Auction?) but the one in Solos hand may also be an MGC for this shot as well?? Probably wouldn’t use a live fire unless it was being fired right?? But who knows. So this is the auction blasters only hope of being film used. Personally I think it is the Stembridge because no detection of milling seems to appear? Food for thought…
56B7BD16-EBD4-4A49-85DF-89AE8D029A91.png

Last edited:
Worth noting that the grips can be a good tell IMO. Look at the Bespin Luke pic where you can see the bottom of the grips. Those are absolutely real, there’s no way anyone went to the trouble to weather MGC grips like that, or replace with real (weathered) wood grips. Real c96 grips don’t fit an MGC, and I’m not aware of any after market grips (well, perhaps these days, but…). The diamond checkering on the Stembridge is another example.

Wonderful thread, I’ve been waiting for someone to do this, thank you!

Last edited:
The best and easiest way to distinguish an MGC from a real Mauser is the trigger and bolt pins... Real Mausers do not have them.

I think my MGC replica has pretty realistic looking bluing... ' )

View attachment 1536919
Such a beauty!! New hammer looks to be subbed in but is the trigger a c96 or just reworked?

Edit: if not u can definitely sub one in..
2437EF2B-2D1F-430D-A842-30D5325B5CF7.jpeg

Last edited:
Worth noting that the grips can be a good tell IMO. Look at the Bedouin Luke pic where you can see the bottom of the grips. Those are absolutely real, there’s no way anyone went to the trouble to weather MGC grips like that, or replace with real (weathered) wood grips. Real c96 grips don’t fit an MGC, and I’m not aware of any after market grips (well, perhaps these days, but…). The diamond checkering on the Stembridge is another example.

Ya 99.8% no way they went to that much trouble to replicate real Mausers. They simply used one. If so they would have done the same on the HOTH..
A5AB02BE-EF89-4881-8970-7DC4FB0A33F0.jpeg

Last edited:
My pleasure, thank you for the compliment.
I started a similar thread on Luke Skywalker’s ROTJ lightsaber props a few years ago that you might enjoy as well.

Somebody needs to bump that sucker, it’s currently on page 30.

Last edited:
Recut the love he so full function with trigger and safety.
"May I mambo dogface to the banana patch?" :p

I'm seeing this a lot lately. Some of you need to slow down and do a quick proof read before you hit Post reply. It's a shame to see good information/conversation tainted by auto correct gibberish.

Just my opinion, of course.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back