Digital Versions of Model Kit Components

That library is a dream. 300+ pieces already modeled is cool...but there are sooo many. With hundreds of parts and hundreds of kits a complete library would be 20k+ pieces...

Once modeled, the 3D versions can easily be shared/ leveraged on new works. That is the one huge advantage over physical modeling (not to mention the ease of part swapping when working up a design.)

I suspect some form of physical models will still be needed for quite a while, especially when working up sets and such...

R/ Robert

Once modeled, the 3D versions can easily be shared/ leveraged on new works.

If the asset is being created for a specific production, it can not be shared with others/derivative; shared components must stay within the same show.

If the asset is being created for a specific production, it can not be shared with others/derivative; shared components must stay within the same show.
Normally yes, but I think John mentioned that both the death star graphic recreation and the digital 3D library were his own projects he had been working on as a sideline even before Rouge One, I would say he would have testing and experimental budgets available to him, like ILM skunkworks, therefore these are available to any Disney project ,, I hope they are , it will be great to see more detailed digital ships, if more parts go missing of the originals well know that knoll was down getting some parts to 3D scan

Everything about everything John demonstrates in that video is awesome.

I just hope there is an easy way for the digital model builder to use his greeblies creatively---cut them down, interconnect them, make the parts come together to form a new, functional-looking whole, etc, as the modelmakers used to do. That demo where he just pasted a bunch of them randomly on a surface, all intact, does not have the finesse of the old ILM builds. But I'm sure that was just a quick demo of how they could be applied.

- - - Updated - - -

And a good-natured ribbing here about the age-old debate over the following word...

...note that he said "greeblies."

Not greebles, and not nurnies. ;)

..Just to give you a heads-up, and it's been a long while, but I've added some more components to the Airfix 1/144 Saturn V Folder, and also a couple of Revell 1/4 Visible V8 components. Hopefully some of them will be of use to some of you.

Minifig

Thank you Minifig. I wish I have some of theese kits so I can also contribute to this endeavor. I have modled few kit parts but only from kitscans

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back