DELETE

Re: My Chucky Doll sold for $18K, advice needed!

I just told him to pay within 2 days before I cancel the bid. The second highest bidder (who, again, is probably the same person) said he can pay next week. We'll see about that. Again, WEIRD, I know. I've reported it to ebay, but until then, all I can do is go through the process.
Dude, I'm just trying to help, I promise, but you are doing this all wrong. Give this guy 24 hours to put at least a $6K deposit (regardless of eBay policies), or tell him the item is no longer for sale. Skip bidder #2 (same city, same country, same item for sale? come on....), and complete your transaction with bidder #3 outside of eBay. Otherwise, you probably won't even get the $6K from bidder 3. You are definitely goofing around too much, and there's no need to let the buyers hide behind eBay rules when you know you are the one being scammed. I've had many auctions like this, where I simply tell the buyer the item is no longer far sale. Heck, I had one seller just refuse to sell me the item because they said it was "out of stock", and eBay did nothing to the seller even after my formal complaint. Take this out of eBay's hands and complete the sale with bidder #3. Dont be greedy and hold out for some imaginary $18K. You'll be thankful you did, and no regrets for bagging $6K for your work.

The only thing I can think of outside of it being the same exact person is that it's two prop crazy dudes who know each other and have gone to war for your doll.

And that's a weird plot for a dark comedy about two nerdy obsessives, and one winds up dead at the end.

Maybe there's a trustable RPF member from France who could help you receiving the payment via bank transfer. A payment like this can't be reversed by the highest bidder. This trustable guy could then transfer the money to your PayPal account. You could offer him 10% commission. So you lost just $1800 instead of more than $10000 if you sell it to the third highest bidder (or $18000 if you let the highest bidder pay via PayPal).

Last edited:

This just gets more exciting by the minute. If all of a sudden the #2 bidder can't pay immediately either, I think that settles that this is a scam and they are one in the same. Abort, abort, abort!

Either way, it is your risk and your reward. Keep us apprised of what goes on, please :).

I appreciate your advice, but I have contacted bidder #3 and have no worries about him accepting the potential offer at a later date. He definitely wants it. Even if he didn't there are 3 other buyers in the 5-6K range that have all said they would buy if is the top bidder declines. So there's no need to rush.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I meant to quote you.

Dude, I'm just trying to help, I promise, but you are doing this all wrong. Give this guy 24 hours to put at least a $6K deposit (regardless of eBay policies), or tell him the item is no longer for sale. Skip bidder #2 (same city, same country, same item for sale? come on....), and complete your transaction with bidder #3 outside of eBay. Otherwise, you probably won't even get the $6K from bidder 3. You are definitely goofing around too much, and there's no need to let the buyers hide behind eBay rules when you know you are the one being scammed. I've had many auctions like this, where I simply tell the buyer the item is no longer far sale. Heck, I had one seller just refuse to sell me the item because they said it was "out of stock", and eBay did nothing to the seller even after my formal complaint. Take this out of eBay's hands and complete the sale with bidder #3. Dont be greedy and hold out for some imaginary $18K. You'll be thankful you did, and no regrets for bagging $6K for your work.

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE: Now the highest bidder contacted me and said he can transfer the money from his bank account and pay on March 29th.

If you have other high bidders waiting, then I agree with you...wait patiently and see if the big bucks come through first. All the best.:popcorn

I appreciate your advice, but I have contacted bidder #3 and have no worries about him accepting the potential offer at a later date. He definitely wants it. Even if he didn't there are 3 other buyers in the 5-6K range that have all said they would buy if is the top bidder declines. So there's no need to rush.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I meant to quote you.

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE: Now the highest bidder contacted me and said he can transfer the money from his bank account and pay on March 29th.

And this is where you do second chance offers for each of those other buyers.
Seriously, if they all want one, make a deal with each of them for say $5,000 but you need "x" amount of weeks to build them.
You will be shocked that they will be willing to wait and still order at that price :)
You would clean up with custom orders ;)

You have his address. Go to Google Maps and search for the satellite pic of his house. Maybe you can see then, if he's able to pay $18000 for a doll. ;)

Funny. I did that. It's a very modest looking apartment complex.

You have his address. Go to Google Maps and search for the satellite pic of his house. Maybe you can see then, if he's able to pay $18000 for a doll. ;)

I would tend to be very suspicious of any purchaser like that overseas, fraud over there is a real problem. If you do end up sending anything over there, make sure that they have to sign for it. It may help if you can find a reputable customs broker in the country and work a deal with them to have the purchaser open and inspect the item on their premise and sign an affidavit stating that the item is indeed what they purchased for the price they paid (this would minimize or negate the possibility of any PayPal disputes being upheld). I would imagine that there is going to be quite an import duty on an item of that value, that could cause problems as well.

Just my $.02

dodgy dodgy dodgy, there are some real a-holes and scammers on Ebay I hate selling on it.

Well I think you have answered everything you need to know here. i don't believe you will ever see any money from a or b....I would take the 5k offer.

At the end of the day ebay and paypal if you ever have any doubts should be notified. All communication should be thru ebay so there is a record of it if he tried to pull a fast one.

The biggest red flag to me though is paying 18k for a replica Chuckie. Im not saying you work isnt splendid. But I just don't see that kind of money in the piece.

What a shame that there is no honor anymore. You are all looking for explanations in this thread when the simplest one is starring you in the face. He's a loony....had to have it at any cost.....and probably will try to stiff you with the..."I got an empty box from the seller" routine.

I wish you luck and hope what I have said isnt what the case is.

IF you are thinking of going ahead you really should do as
user-offline.png
cenn said:

"It may help if you can find a reputable customs broker in the country and work a deal with them to have the purchaser open and inspect the item on their premise and sign an affidavit stating that the item is indeed what they purchased for the price they paid (this would minimize or negate the possibility of any PayPal disputes being upheld). I would imagine that there is going to be quite an import duty on an item of that value, that could cause problems as well."

Other wise you could be out the money.

The biggest problem is PROVING that you did indeed mail him the item...the in country customs broker whom can take pictures and do the above is just about the only way, and I am not sure even that will stop a charge back....I know of many a action figure dealer whom would sell a untouched on card figures to have a clam filed and then receive some bought at a yard sale figure in return and lost the figure and the money..because he could never PROVE he did not mail the yard sale figure the buyer calmed he had mailed...a nice upgrade scam.

Years ago there was a escrow service, but they got out of handling things, I believe because so many deals went bad...I know of them as I did use their service a couple of times..luckily with no problem..selling used electronics.

Rich

Ebay can bite you in the butt in both bidding and selling. I bid double what the highest bid was one time thinking no one in their right mind would bid close to that. Sure enough, 3 seconds before the end someone bid very close to me so I got stuck with paying a crazy amount for something. I could have said I bid incorrectly but that's not how I roll. You could just refuse to sell to the guy and let that be that. I had a guy cancel an auction AFTER I won. He claimed it couldn't be found. Yes, I think that is an option in ebay. I know he cancelled because I was the only bidder.

I always use a bidding service and only bid in the last 5 seconds...that way no one can "see" how much I am willing to bid...nor can they pump my bid up by bidding it up...

Having someone else bid in the last couple of seconds as high as your highest bid is just bad luck...never over bid more than you really are willing to pay...Someone else may also be bidding high as well.

Rich

Ebay can bite you in the butt in both bidding and selling. I bid double what the highest bid was one time thinking no one in their right mind would bid close to that. Sure enough, 3 seconds before the end someone bid very close to me so I got stuck with paying a crazy amount for something. I could have said I bid incorrectly but that's not how I roll. You could just refuse to sell to the guy and let that be that. I had a guy cancel an auction AFTER I won. He claimed it couldn't be found. Yes, I think that is an option in ebay. I know he cancelled because I was the only bidder.

As a victim of a similar scam (for much less money by the way), there is absolutely nothing you will be able to do if he claims you sent him a My Buddy doll, brick, or whatever instead. After fighting Paypal and eBay tooth and nail (I had video proof of the returned item handed over from USPS and unboxing in the same cut) they sided immediately with the buyer. They wouldn't even consider any potential evidence I had proving what I sent was different from what he sent back. I was even able to prove that the buyer bought the item he sent to me in a separate listing that wasn't mine with comparison photos (it was a comic) and I still lost. I even had my account suspended for asking if I could buy a MacBook from someone and just say I received a piece of paper with the word "MacBook" on it and just send that to the seller to get my money back. They refused to answer that question and said that they were putting notes on my account that I intended to do fraudulent activities. Clearly I wasn't being serious but I was very upset and asked a reasonable question considering my circumstances. If this person is in fact intending to steal your doll, you will likely lose. If he does in fact steal your doll, are you willing to go to France and have him or her charged. I would avoid this like the plague if I were you. It reeks of a scam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Chucky Doll sold for $18K, advice needed!

If this guy is scamming you then you will likely lose your money and the doll. I was scammed (for a lot less) in a similar situation. I thought it was weird when the buyer warned me to pack extra carefully because USPS was rough on packages in his area (red flag 1). Red flag #2 was that his bid was double what it was worth. I had never been ripped off before so I sent the item. As soon as he received the item I received an "item not as described" notification from eBay. Low and behold he claimed the item I sent was damaged in shipment. It was a comic book and it was packaged tighter than Fort Knox. Being that this was my first rodeo, I knew I could prove the buyer wrong and get my money back. I did research and found where the buyer had bought the same book a few weeks back and was able to compare his photos of the book he claimed I sent him to that other listing (not mine). It was the same book, imagine that and not the mint copy I sent him. I talked with eBay and was assured I would be protected and that they were just holding the money until I received the book back. They stated I could then dispute the transaction myself. Just in case, I recorded USPS handing me the package as well as unboxing all in the same clip. I called eBay excited as I knew I had him or her figured out. Guess what? They just sided with the buyer and gave him his money back and refused to allow me to send in any of my proof. I became so frustrated at one point that I asked if I could just buy a MacBook and send the seller a piece of paper in return. They flagged my account as fraud as a result and I was suspended for a week. Now I ask you, are you willing to hire an attorney in France to charge this guy if it is a scam. That's what it will take cause eBay and Paypal are going to immediately side with the buyer. Sorry if this is a double post cause I tried to post it and it didn't show up for some reason. This reeks of a scam so I would avoid it like the plague. If it looks to good to be true it probably is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back