Defiance Props

I will make the Kaziri Artifact available as soon as I get it assembled. I'll just put it on Shapeways and everyone can order a clean print from there. As soon as I have it done I'll post in the junk yard.

Single star section posted in the junk yard. Experts only though. I'm struggling to make the full model down below the maximum file size.
MOD EDIT: Please do not post Junkyard links outside the Junkyard forum, thanks.

HI. I was wondering if anyone was working on a Hailer replica, either 3D printed or otherwise? Hailer_communications.jpgHailer_timer.jpg

So I've been following this thread, I recently picked up a couple of these toy pistols as I noticed they are incredibly similar.

I plan to mod it and see if I can't make the lawkeeper pistol out of it...image.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376123399_785996.jpg080.JPG Found some of the pieces used for Datak's "watch chain". They're bead caps for jewelry making. Strands of them used to be sold as "ethnic" jewelry in the day. I still need to locate the bell shaped ones on top..

Last edited:
I'm working on Irisa right now, already have the shirt finished. I'm researching her blades right now, but I'm a seamstress, I don't have much experience on the prop-side of things (but trying to learn). Thankfully these look simple in shape so good for a beginner project. Anyone have any tips on what techniques to look into?

IMG_7615.jpg

They look like "Screaming Arrow" throwing knives, though the back looks a little off.

I'm working on Irisa right now, already have the shirt finished. I'm researching her blades right now, but I'm a seamstress, I don't have much experience on the prop-side of things (but trying to learn). Thankfully these look simple in shape so good for a beginner project. Anyone have any tips on what techniques to look into?

View attachment 254430

I managed to track down a picture from the original prop maker with the note "CNC aluminum, hand finished." Now, I don't think me, as a n00b, can accomplish such a thing (right?) and real throwing knives aren't "con-safe". Should I look into casting existing knives and try to make them out of resin?

I managed to track down a picture from the original prop maker with the note "CNC aluminum, hand finished." Now, I don't think me, as a n00b, can accomplish such a thing (right?) and real throwing knives aren't "con-safe". Should I look into casting existing knives and try to make them out of resin?

Or just cut some "similar" shaped blades out of thick lexan (plastic) and spray paint silver.

I'm not sure if I posted this before, but in the episode "If I Ever Leave This World Alive", there is a scene where Amanda and Datak address Defiance, in which Datak then announces his run for being Mayor. You all may find it funny, but the microphone that Datak uses isn't really a microphone. It's a bunsen burner, similar to this one.

36130_22.jpg

Here's a picture from the episode, where you can see the bottom of it and part of the top in Amanda's hand from when he hands the microphone to her. As you can see, it matches.

1.09b.jpg

I tried to find a bigger picture of Datak holding it, but this is the best i could find.

defiance_if_i_ever_leave_this_world_alive_11.jpg

Here's the site that has information on the bunsen burner: Bunsen burner high temperature burner LP gas - GridTop Gas Burners from Cole-Parmer

View attachment 254430

I made mine out of wood and then just painted them. I then glued them to my leather traces to make them con-safe and so that I didn't have to worry about them falling out or anything. It was the best decision I made for this costume.

Oh, and? Mine didn't cost me a penny. I used those free paint stirrer sticks from any place that sells paint. They look the part just fine. Could they be better? Yes. But...free. And permanent. Worn this costume for many hours already and no problems, even with sitting through panels and leaning on the chairs, etc. I may remake them eventually, but in the time I had (made the entire cosplay in about two weeks before Dragon*Con), I'm very happy with how it and the knives turned out.

Good luck!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back