Defiance Lawkeeper's Pistol - [Build] [Pic Heavy]

Re: Defiance Lawkeeper's Pistol - [Build]

Working on achieving the thickness.

[...]

All the Layers combined into one.
I am very happy with the thickness of the entire gun.
http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b513/jcprops/photo1_zps5b5faf12.jpg

[...]

It would so help if i can find my stash of styrene sheets....

Today i made the front barrel profile. Here's how it looks.

Photo showing scale against a Star Trek into Darkness phaser.
[url]http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b513/jcprops/null_zpsb4bf5548.jpg[/url]

[url]http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b513/jcprops/null_zps2c11d020.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

Fantastic work you've done on it so far, dude! Quick question, though. I was wondering how large all around (height, length) you made yours? Mine just fits onto a standard 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper, but yours appears like it might be larger than that. Also, what thickness did you decide on? I've drawn up both side profile views, but like you have been having some difficulty figuring out the thickness of it. Looks like you got it right, imho.

[quote="Altoidian, post: 3026936"]Excellent scratch build. [b]I have been able to do everything you did, but I get stumped on the final details, such as the ribbing of the handle and the texture (the soft "rubber" grip textureing).[/b] I guess it's just something to take more time and patience.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if this might help both of you, but for my own future build of this awesome sidearm I was planning on using ribbed sheet styrene with different spacing between the ribbed detail. 1/32" ribbed styrene for the angled detail above the grip, and 1/16" ribbed styrene for the grip detail. I think that'll achieve the correct asthetic effect nicely.

Last edited:
Small update on the project - i got side tracked by another one of my ongoing builds (ironman Mark 42) but i got some more cleaning done on the gun, will do some light bondo work tomorrow and get some finer sandpaper as well, here is how it looks - i know pretty much same the only major difference is its more cleaner and smoother.

photo5_zps639c0425.jpg

Lines-All cleaned up
photo4_zpseb5059e2.jpg

photo2_zps96beb86c.jpg

photo1_zps35c267c8.jpg

This looks really great. It's making me miss the show, maybe I should pick up the game.

Agreed, the more I see these props the more I wanted to try out the game.

Very true! I haven't tried the game yet, one of my buddy has the game he said he played the game nonstop for a while and now hes tired. I think i might have to borrow it and give it go and see how it is.......not to mention these big o gaps between a 12 episode season is a stupid move on syfys part...miss the show already.

Another small Update : Bondo and cleanup

Did little more Bondo, i tell you if the Prop-making Gods gave me one wish it would be making the prop paint ready with no sanding or bondo. untill that wish comes true its more bondo and sanding and more bondo...

photo4_zpsa93b293e.jpg

photo3_zps532eb617.jpg

I'm with you on the bondo/ sanding issue. It's the reason I have 4 unfinished helmets in my garage...they are all at the bondo applied, needing sanding phase and it's just too hot outside to deal with it. I was also pretty shocked that Defiance is off the air for an entire year. That seems really excessive and I wonder how many people will still care after that long. Hopefully it comes back with a bang, I was barely hanging on at the end. I really wanted to like the show but there were definitely things about it that bugged me. Regardless, I still would like to make a badge and gun someday. You are really doing a great job and I can't wait to see it finished.

Fantastic work you've done on it so far, dude! Quick question, though. I was wondering how large all around (height, length) you made yours? Mine just fits onto a standard 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper, but yours appears like it might be larger than that. Also, what thickness did you decide on? I've drawn up both side profile views, but like you have been having some difficulty figuring out the thickness of it. Looks like you got it right, imho.

I don't know if this might help both of you, but for my own future build of this awesome sidearm I was planning on using ribbed sheet styrene with different spacing between the ribbed detail. 1/32" ribbed styrene for the angled detail above the grip, and 1/16" ribbed styrene for the grip detail. I think that'll achieve the correct asthetic effect nicely.

I will surely measure the thickness up exactly when it get a change my mate i forgot what i had worked it to be. The the whole thing from what ii scaled from different photos and screen grabs is little under 12".

Yours measures about 12" long, huh? Mine's about 11", so it's not much smaller than yours. I would imagine the difference in height would be proportionate.

Whenever you can get around to measuring the overall thickness is fine by me. I just want a better idea of how thick I should make mine. I settled on 1.5" including the plant-on side details, but aren't sure if that's really thick enough.

Btw, any updates you have to share regarding your build? I'm sure I'm not the only wanting to see more progress on this.

Thanks Rob. How did your Kaziri artifact turn out? This forum is quite amazing don't know why I didn't join sooner.

Well, designing (redesigning) in Rhino really made things difficult. But I took your advice and started learning Inventor, so I plan on starting from scratch again on that platform. But I really appreciate the advice you gave me on the design. You do excellent work. I'm sure you are going to have a blast here and make some good friends. We have a number of professionals on this board so you are in good company.
defiance kaziri artifact.jpg

This is a great build. I am currently working on the gun as well, I am building a 3D model that I am planning on having printed. Taku, can you please let me know what the overall dims would be? like length width and height?

The length is 10.3125", it is 2" wide with the add -ons but 1.25" at the handle and 7" from the bottom of the mag to the top. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Taku, my dims were a little off but not by to much. any chance you could tell me what kind of holster they use on the show? Or was it custom?

We didn't make the holster it was supplied by the armorer on the show. I believe that it was an off the shelf nylon holster. The gun is pretty large so there are probably only a few that will fit.

The length is 10.3125", it is 2" wide with the add -ons but 1.25" at the handle and 7" from the bottom of the mag to the top. Hope this helps.

Thanks Mate! This helps greatly.! I cannot change this one as its gone to far already, i think i might just have to build another one with those dimensions.

Thanks again!!!!

Small update : sorry guys i have been away for a while my little brother was getting married and bunch of other stuff happened in-between and this cold weather isn't helping at all. I was able to glue to three pieces together, hopefully this weather changes soon as soon as it gets warmer i will start to work on the smaller final detail..

9A921D41-3A55-407A-8C23-149DF5001822_zpstnurqw9v.jpg

617732E0-DA90-4F76-A9FF-EE94EAB66E76_zpszavqytbs.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back