Death Star plans data card - zenix's build thread

It's white soldermask. This is very highly reflective.

I don't have the prototype rev 1 boards back from the PCB manufacturer yet.

I'm modifying the sticker versions now because that's easy to do in house.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Wow, the lines aren't just concentric circles...he two circles in the middle are, but the others...the gold almost starts as a swirl on the bottom of the card. And what are those other markings?
I see four concentric circles like before, plus one ~270º arc going around inside the outter most circle with lots of little notches going around, and one more circle going all the way around, just slightly larger than the outter most circle.

The other markings are copper traces underneath the white solder mask.

PCB Version:

First pic of the fancy board! See how reflective and shiny the white solder mask is?

3d93a5eeb0c9cda5c1562836535779a6.jpg

In the lighting of the scene, I have no doubt this would look the same; shiny, white grey, and almost metallic. Especially seeing the new details where you can literally see the copper traces from a circuit board, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the method they used to manufacture this prop.

The manufacturer sent me this photo, with a sticker with all my personal information on it covering the board so I blurred that out, but still, it's good enough to see the piece. I'll post a better one when I get them in hand.

They did not put the soldermask on the back yet, and I asked them to. Below is the back side right now. They'll add the white soldermask there too.

a125f8b58587474fbd35a2db3125df7d.jpg

This board is 72mm wide and 1.6mm thick

I'll be redoing this version to account for the new details, which will have the circuit board parts underneath the soldermask and the updated circle details/notches.

Stunt Version:

I made a new vinyl cut version of the circles. The notches are so small, it's hard to get them to look right using this method.
52c0f40a8df468a50a629f7208c106a9.gif

At quick glance like in the above .Gif, they don't look so bad, but up close the vinyl didn't have the same feeling as the real prop. Even though it's wrong, I personally like the stunt version without the notches in the vinyl.

What do you think?

5019cf79d33e347714620aedfdb9c629.jpg

3ea41dc8a9173ca105e89618a6170f44.jpg

Loving all of the thought and detail you're putting into this build!!

Will you be doing another version with the "padded" corners like the one given to Leia?

Either way, you're doing a fantastic job! Looking forward to more.

Loving all of the thought and detail you're putting into this build!!

Will you be doing another version with the "padded" corners like the one given to Leia?

Either way, you're doing a fantastic job! Looking forward to more.
It's the same piece. Upside down.

It's the same piece. Upside down.
Oh right, that makes more sense that there being another prop. Thanks for the info!

Just to compare notes, how big are your datacards? I make the prop to be around 120x74mm, so that's what I went with for my build.

Kind regards, The14thDr

https://vimeo.com/199773384

Thinner PCB version just came in. This is the rev 1 version without the new details.

I just placed the order for the new version with the circuitry details and the arc with notches, and adjusted dimensions, and tweaked the curvature/jaggedy edges seen in this one. This new one will be made from the aluminum core board, not the fiberglass one seen here in the video. It'll be a couple weeks to get these in.

Rev1 fancy PCB version:
8a1cefd8e57ba9a184c766ee7c7c3275.jpg

Last edited:
The development is looking awesome, thanks for all the hard work and updates, I will wait to see the rev 2 before ordering...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back