Death Star Plans

Getting closer...

I need to move the cut line a bit more to account for the thickness of the cut better. I'm still playing with the speed/power settings on the laser to get a crisper etching.

IMG_6395.jpeg

Was that 3D printed? Because if it was, that amount of not warped flatness isn’t easy.
No, it’s a metal version that someone did several years ago. Originally the front was white, but I made it silver when I got it.

No, it’s a metal version that someone did several years ago. Originally the front was white, but I made it silver when I got it.
Oh, OK. I thought I saw what could be build lines. The finish looks nice, I bet it displays well.

I've started to apply the metallic finish. After this layer has had a few days to fully cure, the same artwork that I used to cut & etch the acrylic will provide a perfect mask when I tone the center part gold... and then move on to the next step in the process.
IMG_6426.jpeg

IMG_6427.jpeg

Last edited:
I've done more work on the metallic finishes. I'll let all of this cure for a few days while I make the cardholder that attaches to the bottom. I'll probably do another round of distressing and hi-lighting on the fake metal and then call this project done. You can kind of see my next project in the background.
IMG_6580.jpeg

I love it when you get to a stage in a project where you add something that instantly makes your project look better. I made a few prototype holders that failed, but this one that's glued up from cut acrylic just works. I can't wait to paint it. I think that matte black/dark grey over a pebble texture is going to set the metal off nicely. I have some pretty good reference images for two of the holders used in Rogue One.

Anyway, as soon as I added this version of the holder I saw Death Star plans.
IMG_6589.jpeg

My Death Star Plans are Done!

IMG_6597.jpeg

IMG_6599.jpeg

They came our pretty well. In person, they look reasonably "real". I'm keeping one and the other will be a present for my brother.

The metallic part was painted with chrome paint over black. The disk parts were tined gold with transparent yellow and red paints. The final finish for the silver part was Rub-N-Buff Silver Leaf. The gold disk was dusted with unreasonably expensive gold painted and then a mix of Rub-N-Buff Gold Leaf and Rub-N-Buff Antique gold. The lines were cleaned with an X-acto knife and then highlighted with black panel liner. The base was coated in sandstone texture paint. The topcoat was "Black Rubber" with white highlights and a dusting of neutral grey.

The parts were cut and engraved on an X-Tool laser cutter from 1.5 mm black acrylic. The thin "box" on the base was cut from vinyl on a Silhouette Portrait. The box detail was only on one of the versions of the plans that I found reference photos of, but I like the extra detail.

"Your Highness... the transmissions we received. What is it that they've sent us?"
"Hope."

EDIT: Well, Damn... the little box detail goes on the back, I'm glad I didn't glue the plans to the holder!

Last edited:
Beautiful! If you offered kits I would be very interested!
Thanks! I'm not sure if the world needs another garage kit with terrible instructions.:)

That said, if I have time I'll cut and engrave the parts to make a few of these. If I do, I'll post about it on the "project runs" channel. Last time I sold anything I used eBay. I might do something like that again.

I made a version of this to put on my dumb "action figure card" props. I started last year before better reference surfaced. Unfortunately mine are only 2.5", my best guess based on the reference I could dig up. It also has a blank back, as I thought it was blank based on the original prop used in ANH and what little ref I could dig up. I based my measurements on average human thumbnail dimensions :)

I make mine with laser cut Flexibrass, a thin acrylic product with foil laminated on it designed for trophies and 3D printed grips.
datacard_front.jpg
macguffin v5.png
IMG_0339.jpg
IMG_0638.jpg

I made a version of this to put on my dumb "action figure card" props. I started last year before better reference surfaced. Unfortunately mine are only 2.5", my best guess based on the reference I could dig up. It also has a blank back, as I thought it was blank based on the original prop used in ANH and what little ref I could dig up. I based my measurements on average human thumbnail dimensions :)

I make mine with laser cut Flexibrass, a thin acrylic product with foil laminated on it designed for trophies and 3D printed grips.View attachment 1757592View attachment 1757593View attachment 1757594View attachment 1757595
Yep, I grabbed one of those and it's wonderful.

Nice work. Love the packaging you made. I used 1 sheet of 1.5 mm plexiglass that I engraved on both sides. Getting the edges smooth was a challenge.

IMG_7655.jpeg

The extreme close-up makes the lines look a bit janky. In person, the effect is clean.

IMG_7660.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back