Death Star interior door

Skywalker1973

I'm working on building a Death Star interior corridor door control panel and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help identify this metal greeblie circled in yellow?

ds-door-panel.jpg

Thanks Treadwell, I appreciate the reference link. You may be right about that panel.

I've also seen other examples where it appears to be sort of mushroom shaped, so my guess was they may be flat knobs glued onto the panels, but its hard to tell without a higher resolution. I assume the panels may have has small nuances between them for the different interior sets.

Attachments

• corridor-panelb.jpeg
    corridor-panelb.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 45
  • corridor-panela.jpeg
    corridor-panela.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 43
I have already answered you by email for this, but to get the discussion going here as well, references are pretty blurry, so hard to say, but I would lean toward this Michell part, the speed vane knob:
speed_vane.jpg

treadwell idea of the cone knob could be a good candidate as well, it's the same diameter part, but maybe proportions are better on the cone knob indeed :)

I have already answered you by email for this, but to get the discussion going here as well, references are pretty blurry, so hard to say, but I would lean toward this Michell part, the speed vane knob:
View attachment 1790691
treadwell idea of the cone knob could be a good candidate as well, it's the same diameter part, but maybe proportions are better on the cone knob indeed :)
eethan thanks again for replying, I appreciate the help with identifying the part.

I'm also wondering if anyone on this forum has made a control panel like this? I also thought it looked similar to the Imperial TIE pilot greeblie.
Imperial-code-disc.png

View attachment 1790691
I believe that part is also used on the red death star panel
1708285968700.png

I believe that part is also used on the red death star panel
View attachment 1791368
actually, I was a bit of the same mind at a time, but I have been given a new reference by a customer a while ago, and if you check that top left photo that I have never seen before, I see a white sticker and a reflection from the deformation of the explosive wire under the black tape now :)
collage.jpg

actually, I was a bit of the same mind at a time, but I have been given a new reference by a customer a while ago, and if you check that top left photo that I have never seen before, I see a white sticker and a reflection from the deformation of the explosive wire under the black tape now :)
View attachment 1791370
Is that the same one in all shots? There were multiples with alternate parts used. different cylinders, different greeblies, different colored lights.
This always read as an aluminum conical shape to me. Could it possibly have fallen off or been removed between takes or for different scenes?
1708288253926.png

Is that the same one in all shots? There were multiples with alternate parts used. different cylinders, different greeblies, different colored lights.
This always read as an aluminum conical shape to me
View attachment 1791373
Yes it's looks to be the same one. and we see the same reflections on both photos, but to me this is just the wire under the black tape that creates a reflection:)

Edit: not in all shots of course, I'm just talking about the two big photos at the top :)

Wow! Very nice! I've been wondering if anyone was going to machine those cylinders.

eethan Assuming those are aluminum, are they heavy? I'd guess they would have to be bolted to the panel from the back side. Are you planning to do a full kit for the red panels since you make the awesome dome lights? ;)

Wow! Very nice! I've been wondering if anyone was going to machine those cylinders.

eethan Assuming those are aluminum, are they heavy? I'd guess they would have to be bolted to the panel from the back side. Are you planning to do a full kit for the red panels since you make the awesome dome lights? ;)
hey, they are pretty lightweight, but yes, there will be 2 holes in the back to be bolted from the back of the panel, that's the easiest way to mount them.
yes, those will be full kits, individual parts, and finished painted panels with vintage Paterson board as well, I have 5 on hands.
cheers

hey, they are pretty lightweight, but yes, there will be 2 holes in the back to be bolted from the back of the panel, that's the easiest way to mount them.
yes, those will be full kits, individual parts, and finished painted panels with vintage Paterson board as well, I have 5 on hands.
cheers
I may be interested in one of those kits. Looking forward to seeing it!

So I just happened to come across a replica of these panels that StarKiller77 has in his room video on YouTube. Its a good close up of the panel. It appears to have eethan diffused buttons and the dome lights. This panel looks really nice and StarKiller77 is known for his accuracy and attention to detail. I still am curious about those metal greeblies though. Anyone have an idea what those might be?

starkiller77-panel.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back