DeAgostini 1:1 Studio Scale Millenium Falcon Support Group and Info

OK I'm just throwing this out into the universe.

Whatever colours / colors Falcon was painted - Due to ageing of the miniature since and the super bright lights on the filming set, apart from knowing what actual paint was used at the time, does it come down to what pleases the eye?.

Dave.

OK I'm just throwing this out into the universe.

Whatever colours / colors Falcon was painted - Due to ageing of the miniature since and the super bright lights on the filming set, apart from knowing what actual paint was used at the time, does it come down to what pleases the eye?.

Dave.

I totally agree... everyone is so anal about the exact color number and match of the original paint that was used, but in the end it's next to impossible to determine the exact color due to the filming of the model, the way the light reflects off the surface, plus the age of the model itself and all of this work is being done to match the color off photos (most of which were taken 30 years ago) or pics of the aging model behind glass. Unless they actually kept exacting notes about every single color and brand of paint that was used at the time, all of this is nothing but guess work. No matter how hard we try to match these colors, we're all just making best guesses at what that color actually is. Personally I think Trackpads is doing something no one else is doing... coming up with a standard set of paints that at least everyone can agree on. At least then we'll have a base to start with and will be able to move forward without all this nitpicking to death how much yellow or tan is in the concrete color!

I totally agree... everyone is so anal about the exact color number and match of the original paint that was used, but in the end it's next to impossible to determine the exact color due to the filming of the model, the way the light reflects off the surface, plus the age of the model itself and all of this work is being done to match the color off photos (most of which were taken 30 years ago) or pics of the aging model behind glass. Unless they actually kept exacting notes about every single color and brand of paint that was used at the time, all of this is nothing but guess work. No matter how hard we try to match these colors, we're all just making best guesses at what that color actually is. Personally I think Trackpads is doing something no one else is doing... coming up with a standard set of paints that at least everyone can agree on. At least then we'll have a base to start with and will be able to move forward without all this nitpicking to death how much yellow or tan is in the concrete color!

Well said! I am amazed at how much angst is being generated over coming up with the absolute accurate perfect color mix when that's pretty much impossible to do! On top of that, the same image will look different on different monitors. The only way to know if you are looking at a correct rendition of a color would be to first have an 18 percent grey card in the same frame as the color chip so there is a neutral reference to adjust the color balance of the image too and have you monitor calibrated using calibration software and a sensor so you know it's displaying colors accurately.

In the end, all that really matters is if the color pleases you and what you want the model to look like.

I think that's why I'm going with the Trackpads DOA paints... at least they have attempted to standardize the colors rather than sit around and debate on what color is what!

Amen and thank you.

Can we see some progress pics of your guys' builds?

It might be boring to some but not to me.:)

I think there are some that really want to get this as close to the screen model as possible, so paint color is an important consideration in achieving that goal.

But of course everyone is free to talk about whatever references/ info. they want here, so, please do.:)

I for one actually enjoy the process of researching the colors, I do like seeing other ppl's builds, but in the end I just look at them for inspiration for my build...I guess I like the research part of model building as much as the actual model building, in fact I spend much more time researching than I do building :)

Although I do think that Andy's DOA falcon colors are an easy way to go, I just don't think the colors are exactly right for my build, if I purchased them I would end up altering them to suit my needs, so for me it is better to find a good mix that I can repeat easily at home, which is why I enjoy all the color discussion.

I am holding off building mine until I get most of the parts collected (have issues1-12 so far). And I am also not sure If I am even going to build the interior as I don't really plan on it being open in my display (I am going more for a studio replica) although I do want to accurize the cockpit with better details and lighting, and I would like to add sound effects as well. In the mean time I will be continuing to look for color mixes, modding and lighting options. So if you do come up with some more color ideas please post them, I for one will appreciate it ;)

- - - Updated - - -

It might be boring to some but not to me.:)

I think there are some that really want to get this as close to the screen model as possible, so paint color is an important consideration in achieving that goal.

But of course everyone is free to talk about whatever references/ info. they want here, so, please do.:)

Amen Zenwalker :)

I for one actually enjoy the process of researching the colors, I do like seeing other ppl's builds, but in the end I just look at them for inspiration for my build...I guess I like the research part of model building as much as the actual model building, in fact I spend much more time researching than I do building :)

Although I do think that Andy's DOA falcon colors are an easy way to go, I just don't think the colors are exactly right for my build, if I purchased them I would end up altering them to suit my needs, so for me it is better to find a good mix that I can repeat easily at home, which is why I enjoy all the color discussion.

I am holding off building mine until I get most of the parts collected (have issues1-12 so far). And I am also not sure If I am even going to build the interior as I don't really plan on it being open in my display (I am going more for a studio replica) although I do want to accurize the cockpit with better details and lighting, and I would like to add sound effects as well. In the mean time I will be continuing to look for color mixes, modding and lighting options. So if you do come up with some more color ideas please post them, I for one will appreciate it ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Amen Zenwalker :)

Ha ha ! Yeah, cool, I think I like the research part just as much as the building as well.

As far as paint color ideas, I am going to spray some paint chips of what I have so far and maybe cross-reference with what others have along with photos. Do a little analysis using Photoshop.

Hello everyone, this may have came up already but I keep seeing concerns of shapeways 3d printed plastic parts distorting, shrinking, or literally deteriorating in the course of a number of years. I understand a good paint job will help but still not permanent. Anyone know of any facts on this because my research hasn't came up with anything definite? I've bought a few 3d printed parts myself but not sure I'm going to use them in fear of this. Id much rather have a less than perfect falcon than to have it fall apart in a few years down the road. I might just need to hone in on some scratch build skills. Any info would be greatly apreciated. Concerned Millennium Falcon builder thanks.

Hello everyone, this may have came up already but I keep seeing concerns of shapeways 3d printed plastic parts distorting, shrinking, or literally deteriorating in the course of a number of years. I understand a good paint job will help but still not permanent. Anyone know of any facts on this because my research hasn't came up with anything definite? I've bought a few 3d printed parts myself but not sure I'm going to use them in fear of this. Id much rather have a less than perfect falcon than to have it fall apart in a few years down the road. I might just need to hone in on some scratch build skills. Any info would be greatly apreciated. Concerned Millennium Falcon builder thanks.

The Shapeways pieces are created using a UV hardening resin. Which means that if left exposed to UV light, will breakdown over time. You have two options when dealing with printed 3D parts. 1) Paint them completely to block the light from effecting the resin (I suggest a primer and then a base coat making it at least 2 layers). 2) Create a rubber mold from the parts that you receive and mold your own parts from the molds from a more robust resin that will last. From my experience, no matter what type of resin you use it will break down over time. Some resins last longer then others. Over the past few years resins have advanced a lot and you can be assured that they will outlast you. The second method will allow you to recast the pieces you get if ever they break down over time. It will also allow you to recast anything that breaks over time as well. But that's just my opinion. Hope this helps!

A bit of news for all of us subscribers to this kit. The nose cone and the hull panels TP-1 and TP-2 issued in issues 1 and 3 will be retooled and sent to all subscribers for free in later issues. We all know the problems with the cockpit nose cone and how the seam just ruins the entire look, but they have also realized that the corridor hull parts that were issued aren't right either missing the notches on the bottom and the indentations instead of notches on the tops of the hull panels and are fixing those issues and will be releasing them in later issues as soon as they can coordinate with the mold making company who is currently in production of the later issues at this time. DeAgostini listens to its subscribers and will always strive to make the most accurate parts they can! Good news for all of us!

I am forum support for USA for DeAgostini and I want to let all US subscribers know that the redesigned nose cone will be sent out probably in 10-12 month installment of the kit.

Carl

I am forum support for USA for DeAgostini and I want to let all US subscribers know that the redesigned nose cone will be sent out probably in 10-12 month installment of the kit.

Carl

Great to hear. Will the new nose cone include the ring? Some of us have already glued all three parts together.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back