Darth Maul Damaged Saber (completed)

Re: Darth Maul Damaged Saber

... I'm not sure if you had wires though whether they should have the insulation melted or not. Not having a real lightsaber, I couldn't tell you how much heat a quick cut would produce. :lol

That’s a small detail that is overlooked with custom damaged mauls. And I think it would add to the realism if you cut the wire flush and melted the insulation back just a bit with a lighter or something. If you think about it if the cutting saber is hot enough to leave burn marks on the body of mauls saber then it is defiantly hot enough to melt the wires back a little.

I'm at the opposite end of the saber now. I have decided to do a combination of greeblie/wire/insulation. To get the wires and everything cut off at the proper angle, I went to Harbor Frieght and bought a small cutoff saw for forty bucks.
cutoff1z.jpg

I positioned the saber where I could get the closest cut and glued some scraps of styrene to it to ensure that when I put it back on, the correct angle/position will be maintained.
cutoff3z.jpg

I even glued the clamp on the saw to be safe. lol!
cutoff2z.jpg

I plan on putting a copper tube inside to house the lens/greeblies and surround that with wires and pins.

Last edited:

Yes, the final touches will be airbrushed on with some flat black to give a singed appearance.

Looking great. From the position of the cut, it looks like exposed area will be the power cell. Generally the cell is at the rear of a lightsaber (even though the MRFX inexplicably portrayed a crystal at the rear of Maul's).

http://www.thelightsaber.com/web/IndexFolder/index2.htm

It would be neat to see the solid core of the power cell surrounded by exposed insulation/wires.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Started on the guts. I drilled the center out a little and added part of an inline fuse holder stuffed with a capacitor.
cutoff4z.jpg

This will be encased by a copper tube and then filled with five minute epoxy.
cutoff5z.jpg

Last edited:

C'mon be honest!
How fast did your heart beat when you where about to cut it? :love

Lol! I haven't cut anything yet. The kit was already pre-cut. I'm just going to pack the end of it with junk and cut that off so that it looks, well, cut. I'm going to pack the outer ring with putty and shove some wires and pins in it. Then cut it and pray that it looks halfway decent after all this effort.

Lol! I haven't cut anything yet. The kit was already pre-cut. I'm just going to pack the end of it with junk and cut that off so that it looks, well, cut. I'm going to pack the outer ring with putty and shove some wires and pins in it. Then cut it and pray that it looks halfway decent after all this effort.

Ah - Is see!
Well sounds like a plan! Keep us updated... :thumbsup

It's at this point you start to question yourself.

maulwiresz.jpg

:confused

Last edited:

Let me guess. You'll put this back in the jig, cut it flush, and then you'll have epoxy encased wires and core? Can't wait to see it!!

That's the plan. Now I just worry about the wires and whatnot being straight. I freaked when I discovered that I didn't glue the core exactly in the center. That's how anal I get about this stuff.

I say no crystal. That would be like having a bullet sticking out the end of a pulse rifle's barrel. It just doesn't make sense. The crystal is supposed to be inside the saber. Whatever floats your boat though.

Last edited:

Cut the end off. I'm starting to think greeblies and open space may have been better. You can't even see the wire casings. The 5-min epoxy was almost black. The putty is also too light in color. I'm thinking about painting it red, black, or gray. Any photoshop pros out there that can color the gray for me so I can see what it is gonna look like? :lol

Here it is with the wires and core masked off with latex and ready for painting.
maulcutz.jpg

Last edited:

The core looks great! But yes, I agree the epoxy doesn't look quite as groovy as thought. Personally, I think you should drill a bunch of holes in it and break it up and get it out of there. I don't think painting it will change much. However, if you do decide to go the paint route, don't make it is simple common color. Go with like a milky blue or something and you can say it's thermal shielding.

I think I'm going to try to fix it up with paint first. I can basically blacken the whole end and have it look burnt. If that doesn't look good, then bust it out of there. The only thing is its gonna be hard as rock.

The best laid plans of mice and men oft go awry...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back