Darth Maul Costume Templates/Patterns

Ok, so Gino, send me your costume and I will see what can be done, maybe it gets lost when returning it to you :lol

Yes, I'm saying that.
As far as Fett costuming has gotten, it still has miles to go to catch up to the level of accurate reproduction of other characters. That is mostly because of the lack of real screen used or production made boba pieces out in the public arena.

I just can't let that one go...I'm sorry, but I can't. On the dented helmet, we have TONS of laser measurements from AOSW and MOM exhibits and HUNDREDS of high resolution pictures. There is so much information on TDH it is ridiculous! Saying that Fett costumes have MILES to go is a large overstatement. Of course they can never be 100% accurate, but what we have is VERY close. To tell you the truth, many of the original pieces are so crappy and damaged, there is no reason to even pattern them. I don't understand why you can't give people kudos for their achievements...you just bring them down. Look at the AMAZING discoveries people have made about the Fett costume. Members have identified nearly EVERY found part (not fabricated by ILM but purchased and incorporated in costume). Heck, Art Andrews (Braks Buddy) figured out the MQ1 calculator mystery. That is awesome stuff, yet you make it sound like the type of costume that was presented to Jeremy Bulloch from TDH members is crap. That thing is one of the most beautiful Fett costumes I have ever seen and very accurate IMO.

I ask the question once again: did you use screen used ANH, ESB, and ROTJ Vader costumes for you displays? You didn't, but they are considered screen accurate.

Kody

I just can't let that one go...I'm sorry, but I can't. On the dented helmet, we have TONS of laser measurements from AOSW and MOM exhibits and HUNDREDS of high resolution pictures. There is so much information on TDH it is ridiculous! Saying that Fett costumes have MILES to go is a large overstatement. Of course they can never be 100% accurate, but what we have is VERY close. To tell you the truth, many of the original pieces are so crappy and damaged, there is no reason to even pattern them. I don't understand why you can't give people kudos for their achievements...you just bring them down. Look at the AMAZING discoveries people have made about the Fett costume. Members have identified nearly EVERY found part (not fabricated by ILM but purchased and incorporated in costume). Heck, Art Andrews (Braks Buddy) figured out the MQ1 calculator mystery. That is awesome stuff, yet you make it sound like the type of costume that was presented to Jeremy Bulloch from TDH members is crap. That thing is one of the most beautiful Fett costumes I have ever seen and very accurate IMO.

Art and I are friends. Ask him if he thinks there are miles to go in seeing a close to screen accurate Fett.
Yes, kudos. Fett costumes have come a LONG way, but far from what I consider close to screen accurate.
The JB Fett in particular is one of, if not the most accurate examples of what has been done as an ensemble costume, but there is not one component on it outside of any found items that doesn't have noticeable problems when compared to the screen used pieces. I'm not saying that to insult any of the hard work that was put into them, but it is the truth.
They did an awesome job, but I bet if you ask them, they would tell you there is much room for improvement and plan on improving things.

I ask the question once again: did you use screen used ANH, ESB, and ROTJ Vader costumes for you displays? You didn't, but they are considered screen accurate.

Um yeah. You think I got that close by doing them on my own?

Art and I are friends. Ask him if he thinks there are miles to go in seeing a close to screen accurate Fett.
Yes, kudos. Fett costumes have come a LONG way, but far from what I consider close to screen accurate.
The JB Fett in particular is one of, if not the most accurate examples of what has been done as an ensemble costume, but there is not one component on it outside of any found items that doesn't have noticeable problems when compared to the screen used pieces. I'm not saying that to insult any of the hard work that was put into them, but it is the truth.
They did an awesome job, but I bet if you ask them, they would tell you there is much room for improvement and plan on improving things.

Um yeah. You think I got that close by doing them on my own?

I never said there isn't room for improvement, but I always feel like you are bringing people down. It just makes this whole thing less enjoyable. That is why I posted the note on the first post. I didn't want this conversation to happen. I never said that my patterns will give you a 100% screen accurate Maul costume. I guess my saying that the patterns will be a good starting point for producing a screen accurate Maul. This means it will look like what you see on screen...not exact...not original costume quality...it will look comparable to what you see on screen. What is wrong with that?

You had screen used Vader costumes?! Who are you and what do you do for a living? Never mind, I just read your bio on SW Propaganda. You are a very lucky person to have access to many screen used pieces. I envy you for that. Your attitude toward those of us who do not have those privileges, I do not envy. I hope you realize that my attitude toward you is very indifferent, but you do know that you are unpopular with many people on various forums. Your work is VERY popular, but your attitude and abrasive personality is not. I really enjoy looking at your progress pictures and finished displays, but the way you address another person's work is usually not supportive or constructive. Look at the way you totally derailed that other guy's emperor robe project. Was it necessary? Was is necessary to derail my thread, and what we are trying to accomplish? I'm trying to give Star Wars fans what they have craved for a long time. Why is that a bad thing?

I'm seriously done talking about this because I have wasted a lot of time posting this crap when I had more important things to do.

Kody

Kody,

I applaud your efforts.

Some people just have to be the best of the best of the best - or have to make people think they are just that.

One step closer in their direction and they denounce it and try to shut the effort down.

So you must be doing something right. :thumbsup

I never said there isn't room for improvement, but I always feel like you are bringing people down. It just makes this whole thing less enjoyable. That is why I posted the note on the first post. I didn't want this conversation to happen. I never said that my patterns will give you a 100% screen accurate Maul costume. I guess my saying that the patterns will be a good starting point for producing a screen accurate Maul. This means it will look like what you see on screen...not exact...not original costume quality...it will look comparable to what you see on screen. What is wrong with that?

Absolutely nothing. What you worded just now, is different than before and I never would have commented in the first place if that was how you initially described it.

You are a very lucky person to have access to many screen used pieces. I envy you for that. Your attitude toward those of us who do not have those privileges, I do not envy.

I don't have any attitude toward people for having or not having access. That is your own perception, but not how I feel at all.
I just hate seeing things in my opinion misrepresented. In this case, I know it was not intentional on your part, but other people reading might think, wow, you could used the pepsi maul and tweak it to have a screen accurate costume which is false.

I hope you realize that my attitude toward you is very indifferent, but you do know that you are unpopular with many people on various forums. Your work is VERY popular, but your attitude and abrasive personality is not.

One think I've noticed is that when you don't sell mass items to people, share with complete strangers, or when you are the bearer of bad news about people's props, people tend to not like that. That's fine. I'm not looking to hold hands, just looking to clarify info when I feel it's needed.

I really enjoy looking at your progress pictures and finished displays, but the way you address another person's work is usually not supportive or constructive. Look at the way you totally derailed that other guy's emperor robe project. Was it necessary? Was is necessary to derail my thread, and what we are trying to accomplish?

I don't bag on people's work. Believe me if I did, you couldn't miss it.
Most of the time, I don't even give critique unless asked.
Only when someone says something that I know is not true does it force me into interjecting.
That guy's emperor robes, he was claiming to have the same fabric as screen used, which was untrue. Couldn't let that slide.
Just like this thread, when you said you could modify the pepsi maul patterns into an screen accurate replica, I had to interject at that.
Again, it boils down to throwing around the terminology screen accurate that sets off alarms.

I'm trying to give Star Wars fans what they have craved for a long time. Why is that a bad thing?
It's not. Keep on trucking. Just be careful what you call screen accurate.

Would be nice if people "in the know" would share the oh so secretive information on this costume. No the Pepsi Maul isn't 100% accurate but is all we really have to go on other than blurry photos. (Thogh the recent ones that popped up are VERY nice)

TDH is what this message board USED to be like back in the day. Folks helping each other out like a community and meeting each other when possible.
I'm happy to see someone tackling this costume once again. Keep up the great work.

I had one made a few years ago and she said she used several different patterns to try and get it right. I will try and find out what she used and take pics of my costume.

Jonnie wishbone

Thanks for all the support guys!

jonjohn:
I'm sure that everyone, including myself, would love to see pictures of your costume.

Mattiza:

Thanks for the awesome pics! I would love to see any pictures members might have. I'll take all the reference info I can get!

Kody

Any new updates?

I went back and reworked the inner tunic costume. This is how I can make a pattern from an existing garment and make sure it is able to print 100%: I rough trace the outline on a paper that resembles graph paper to ensure accurate scale, I then add all the pleats by measuring and cutting the existing traced paper (this part sucks), then I take about 15 pages of computer paper that have a (roughly) 10"x6.5" rectangle printed on them, the pages are folded along the rectangles edges and all lined up so that the 15 pages make one big sheet of paper, I then trace the graph paper pattern onto the rectangle pages, keys and details are added, THEN all the pages are taken apart and unfolded, they are then scanned into the computer....phew....this ensures that it prints within your computer's margins and is scaled 100%...it isn't fun, but I think the inner tunic will be ready by the end of the week or early next week.

Thanks,
Kody

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back