Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - Password in First Post

Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files

It's just rubber covered in PVA.

Oh btw darkside hot toys released its mk7 toy figure.
557446_3902196467566_214708214_n.jpg

Am I the only one who's been running into issues with the lower forearm part being way too large? I tried to scale it to my size (I'm 6' 3" and 215lbs), and while scaling it to 28 got the height to about where I want it, the circumference seemed far too large. It doesn't look like pepakura designer lets your scale in one dimension either.

Hey guys I have a noob question about the helmet size test pep file. How much space should I give myself? With the default tester, my head just fits into the helmet hole and I'm thinking I should give myself more space. How much more space should I give myself?

Your head is not supposed to fit through the opening in the helmet. If you can do this then it is too big. The helmet is supposed to fit snugly. You should have to remove the lower section in the back of the helmet to get it to fit.

Here's my suit. Thanks for the files Darkside! Looking forward for the version 2 files!
428834_474062632604735_1400140843_n.jpg

(Lights were not visible as it was sunny outside :[ )

Wow. That is really nice. Great job!

Am I the only one who's been running into issues with the lower forearm part being way too large? I tried to scale it to my size (I'm 6' 3" and 215lbs), and while scaling it to 28 got the height to about where I want it, the circumference seemed far too large. It doesn't look like pepakura designer lets your scale in one dimension either.

The length of the forearm is meant to be somewhat adjustable by telescoping the upper forearm inside the lower forearm. You cannot adjust the scale in one direction. My version 2 files should fit better but for now you can always cut a section out on the bottom side to get it to fit better. Keep in mind that the lower forearm is not meant to go down to the wrist. It ends a few inches away from the wrist and the 'under armor/wrist armor covers the wrist.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am a little disappointed seeing the flaps on the Hot Toys Mk VII... there is not rocket boosters under the flaps. I mean I know that it is impossible to fit them in there. I mean if you look at the model that was made with and without the rocket pack on then you can see that there is not nearly enough room to fit anything in there between the flaps and the Mk III style back. It is just one of those things... you will either have to have the rocket pack or the MkIII style back but if you try to do both then it just wont look accurate.

Last edited:

The length of the forearm is meant to be somewhat adjustable by telescoping the upper forearm inside the lower forearm. You cannot adjust the scale in one direction. My version 2 files should fit better but for now you can always cut a section out on the bottom side to get it to fit better. Keep in mind that the lower forearm is not meant to go down to the wrist. It ends a few inches away from the wrist and the 'under armor/wrist armor covers the wrist.

Gotcha; I think the latter part of what you said certainly represents a mistake on my part. I had it very close to my wrist, so I'll adjust. I'll try cutting a section out of the bottom as well. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Also, I like many others are waiting for your V2 files in hot anticipation :) I'm trying my hardest to build a costume for Halloween, but I'd be lying if I said that a part of me wants to hold off until your V2 is available.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm thinking the scaling should have been 27 or so instead of 30; I didn't look closely enough at the picture of the suit and now I'm realizing how much space there is between the bottom of the bicep and the top of the lower forearm piece. Thanks for setting me straight darkside :)

Last edited:

does anyone know where i might be able to find a mk 7 back file without the flight pack??

I've just finished fibre glassing my paper pep suit. I am incredibly skinny, 5"11 and went for a scale of 23 over the whole thing as I've never pepped before xD
The cod peice and abs can't sort of be 'slid on', this suit seems to fit really well, but needs to be cut in 2 and hinged to get into it :/
Beware of the abs as well, absolute bane of my life... Those and the thighs xD

The shins are a bit too short as well, but I have long(ish) legs. The bicep is scaled at 21, forearm at 25 and handplate at 19 to give the right sort of look as the v1 files aren't quite accurate. I wish I had time to wait for darksides beautiful v2's, those are going to be a marvel to behold :D (marvel... Geddit? XD sorry, it's very late...)

I hope this helps, I'll try to aid in anything I can. I went into this whole world blind > <

(total cost of my suit is going to come to about £150 [~$250] btw. 1/3 spray paint, 1/2 resin+bondo)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD

Thanks, every bit of info all adds to the picture. I've extended the waist on the edges of the cod so it fits but im guessing the ABS should go inside so im going to hold off glassing it till i sum up the strength the face the ABS LOL

I'm a big fan of your work...it's awesome. As a matter of fact I'm using some of your templates in my build. It translates very well into steel. I'm using your patterns for the forearms and hand guards when I get there the hip pods that imthinking of a little modification to make them easily removeable in two pieces to be pockets to hold keys and my wallet. Thanks!

I read that older MK neck is similar to that of MK7. Darkside501st, are you bringing a Mk7 out in which case i Will hold off or does somebody have a link to one I can use (paper not foam)? And yes, i'm procastinating on the ABS LOL.

DasHHat, do you have any images of what hinge method you used on cod & ABS before I go any futher? Been out with hair dryer today making chest & back match up before adding the re-enforcement & filler. Its a slow progress, i know its def going to be halloween next year now. . .

I have two questions:

One is I noticed that the lower forearm was out of scale, but the upper forearm and the chest look scaled right. Which ones are normal scale and which ones aren't?

Two is, what color/brand is good for the gold and silver parts? I already chosen Barcelona red duplicolor for the red parts, but I am not for sure for the rest of the colors.

Thanks in advance!

I have two questions:

One is I noticed that the lower forearm was out of scale, but the upper forearm and the chest look scaled right. Which ones are normal scale and which ones aren't?

Two is, what color/brand is good for the gold and silver parts? I already chosen Barcelona red duplicolor for the red parts, but I am not for sure for the rest of the colors.

Thanks in advance!

I asked this question a few pages ago. 23 is the default scale. Those peices are scaled to 21 because Darkside thought that would be the correct size to wear when he first started. The bicep also has a part at the top that prevents full movement as it was designed to be moulded from. So use whatever scale you are using as the guide and make adjustments from there. It will need a bit of work to allow for movement later on.

I'm using Nissan Gold and any silver that looks good in google images on a car and matches the shade in reference pictures will do :)

I read that older MK neck is similar to that of MK7. Darkside501st, are you bringing a Mk7 out in which case i Will hold off or does somebody have a link to one I can use (paper not foam)? And yes, i'm procastinating on the ABS LOL.

DasHHat, do you have any images of what hinge method you used on cod & ABS before I go any futher? Been out with hair dryer today making chest & back match up before adding the re-enforcement & filler. Its a slow progress, i know its def going to be halloween next year now. . .

Yes he is making a MK7, but the MK6 does work just fine and fits the spine perfectly.

My abs are at a scale of 23... and are absolutely tiny xD The bottom ab is almost exactly my waist size. I'll post a pic of my completed abs with hinges tomorrow when it's finished. Each of my ab rings is a separate piece, and each of the parts within the ring is connected together using strips of elastic. This should give very good movement as the side ones can bend to allow side to side swaying :p

And yeah, I quit my job (I didn't enjoy it at all) and have been building this suit for 3 months straight now >< finally at a point where it's wearable!

The shoulders have been moved up since this picture, and the biceps are going to be strapped over the shoulder to the brace to hold them up as well. They fall down and prevent bending the arms properly.

IMAG0378.jpg

I apologize in advance for any terseness in the reply below; I've spent at least 8 hours today putting together parts of my suit, and I'm pretty exhausted.

First, let me thank you again darkside for the huge work you've put into these templates, and for the hard work by jackie, ironmaided and IronManLeo for creating the foam templates.

Today was a long day of making paper prototypes to test out scale before I start cutting into the foam I bought. I put together a few chests and forearms making sure I had the dimensions right. For the most part, things went well and I have a pretty good idea of the sizes I need. Things went together easy, until...

I started on the back.

To be blunt, the back is a complete and total nightmare. I've been going crazy with the litany of tiny pieces that just go together to form big ones. I'm really nervous about trying to convert it to foam; way more so than with anything else.

Are there any plans for making a simplified back? Is it possible that the v2 files resolve some of this? It truly is black eye on an otherwise brilliant brilliant piece of modeling.

Also, I tried joining edges together in Pepakura Designer, and either I'm too stupid to get it to work or the edges can't be joined on a lot of the pieces.

Looking good DasHHat :)

I knocked up the sizer helmet with paper this morning & the scale seems fine so going to get more cardboard & make a start on that, I started one a year ago but never finished it & it got crushed by accident lol.

I apologize in advance for any terseness in the reply below; I've spent at least 8 hours today putting together parts of my suit, and I'm pretty exhausted.

First, let me thank you again darkside for the huge work you've put into these templates, and for the hard work by jackie, ironmaided and IronManLeo for creating the foam templates.

Today was a long day of making paper prototypes to test out scale before I start cutting into the foam I bought. I put together a few chests and forearms making sure I had the dimensions right. For the most part, things went well and I have a pretty good idea of the sizes I need. Things went together easy, until...

I started on the back.

To be blunt, the back is a complete and total nightmare. I've been going crazy with the litany of tiny pieces that just go together to form big ones. I'm really nervous about trying to convert it to foam; way more so than with anything else.

Are there any plans for making a simplified back? Is it possible that the v2 files resolve some of this? It truly is black eye on an otherwise brilliant brilliant piece of modeling.

Also, I tried joining edges together in Pepakura Designer, and either I'm too stupid to get it to work or the edges can't be joined on a lot of the pieces.

so if you know what pieces go together but dont join with designer you just select and move the piece to the other one, select rotate if you have to to line up the side that goes with other piece and there you go, there manually joined together, hope it helps

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back