Could Disney finally give us the remastered, unedited Star Wars we want?

My only complaint against that article is that I don't buy this altruistic stance of fox that they won't change them so long as lucas is alive. I don't believe for one second that a company owned by Rubert Murdoch and run by corporate executives wouldnt just as soon kick George Lucas into a ditch if they could turn an extra profit off it.

Think long-term here.
ANH (and ESB & ROTJ) will eventually end up 100% Disney-controlled.

What if Fox demanded a billion dollars for the ANH rights?
Does that sound like a ludicrous, impractical amount, something that Disney could never be expected to pay for a 40yo movie?

Well . . . the headline a couple years ago could have read, "Disney buys Lucasfilm for $5 billion." It no longer seems like any big stretch in that context.

Disney will not want to dick around with sharing the crown jewel of the SW franchise forever. And with Disney making a new trilogy, theme parks, etc . . . it's a matter of time before the grim reality sets in at Fox that the SW franchise is truly not theirs anymore. Sooner or later a bunch of money will be moved around and the mouse will control all of SW for all practical purposes.

Think long-term here.
ANH (and ESB & ROTJ) will eventually end up 100% Disney-controlled.

What if Fox demanded a billion dollars for the ANH rights?
Does that sound like a ludicrous, impractical amount, something that Disney could never be expected to pay for a 40yo movie?

Well . . . the headline a couple years ago could have read, "Disney buys Lucasfilm for $5 billion." It no longer seems like any big stretch in that context.

Disney will not want to dick around with sharing the crown jewel of the SW franchise forever. And with Disney making a new trilogy, theme parks, etc . . . it's a matter of time before the grim reality sets in at Fox that the SW franchise is truly not theirs anymore. Sooner or later a bunch of money will be moved around and the mouse will control all of SW for all practical purposes.

I agree. FOX may own it, but they won't be able to do anything with it with Disney having complete control of the other films.

The same thing happened with Oswald the Lucky Rabbit at Universal. Walt Disney created it, but Universal owned it. However, Universal couldn't do anything with it and just sold it to Disney.

I know the dollar amounts are far different. Most people don't even know who Oswald is. That is because he sat in the archives for years at Universal.

Fox can do anything they want for the next 6 years with all 6 films. After that, if they wanted to release ANH they certainly can.

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/0...he-star-wars-original-trilogy-blu-ray-rumors/

My gut feeling is we're not going to see the original theatrical releases - and I am okay with that. I think there's small, but vocal group that has given this mystique to these original releases that will not translate into sales - or at least the amount of sales that would warrant the sheer amount of work that this will entails.

I hope that's true, because I really don't want to see the original theatrical release again. What I want to see is a re-mastered version of the first Star Wars with all of the clean up work and improved effects but no changes to the script, Han shoots first, and no extra effects added in like the modified Mos Eisley and especially not the Jabba scene.

I hope that's true, because I really don't want to see the original theatrical release again. What I want to see is a re-mastered version of the first Star Wars with all of the clean up work and improved effects but no changes to the script, Han shoots first, and no extra effects added in like the modified Mos Eisley and especially not the Jabba scene.

This brings up another issue which makes this entire endeavor a fools errand. Everyone has a different idea what these should be, there is no universal consensus so any release will only satisfy some of the potential consumers.

I'm not aware that any of these rights you mention can legally exist "in perpetuity". Pretty sure there is a statute of limitations on intellectual property, copyright, distribution, etc. The only way to extend those rights is to re-exercise them first when they expire 50 years from the original establishment date.

When I began having to deal with copyright, licensing, intellectual property, etc - the government literature I read on it limited it to 50 years, or 10 years after the death of the original rights holder (for the estate). It's possible that's changed in the last 25 years, but I still work in the field and have not seen anything come across that would seem to change those limitations.

The length did change a while ago. It's the life of the author plus 70 years, except for works of corporate authorship, where it's 120 years from creation or 95 years from publication. Basically, Star Wars as a copyrightable property, will outlive every person posting on this board even if George Lucas died right before I finished typing this sentence. So, I wouldn't look to the date that Star Wars falls into the public domain as some sort of workaround for this. Also, that time period can be extended. The current length comes from a change in the Copyright Act which was signed into law in 1998.

Most of that article makes sense, except for the part where Fox has an agreement not to release the OOT. That's likely just a rumor that whoever the Fox insider is once heard around the office. Legally speaking, it sounds like nonsense to me.

I agree. FOX may own it, but they won't be able to do anything with it with Disney having complete control of the other films.

The same thing happened with Oswald the Lucky Rabbit at Universal. Walt Disney created it, but Universal owned it. However, Universal couldn't do anything with it and just sold it to Disney.

I know the dollar amounts are far different. Most people don't even know who Oswald is. That is because he sat in the archives for years at Universal.

In most respects, I see Bryan's analysis as fairly reasonable. The thing's gotta be capable of making enough money for them to justify the outlay of cash necessary to recapture the rights. On its face, yeah, the OOT is kind of a niche product to potentially justify that expense. However, there may be other factors at work here that alter the calculus.

While it's true that physical home media is a dwindling market overall, it's still around, and the national broadband infrastructure isn't quite at a point where you can count on streaming getting to enough people. So, while I certainly see fewer digital media discs being pressed in the future, I don't think we're quite at a point where they're gonna die out entirely.

But both the streaming and physical media issues are also set against shifts in home media technology. There's a real question as to whether 4K TVs will take off. I think it could happen, but it may not happen quickly. All that said, the problem with the SEs -- and with the PT -- is that they are all native 1080p images. You simply cannot squeeze more resolution out of them. If 4K takes off, then there will likely be a demand for increases in resolution for media originally shot on film or originally shot in higher resolutions than 1080p. That won't be possible for the native-lower-res SEs...but it IS possible for the OOT. To my way of thinking, that's the "hidden" market with a 4K or higher resolution scan -- the future market. It's not about the blu-ray sales for a restored "Archival" edition. It's about what the hell happens to these films after Blu-ray is gone.

Now, the trouble with this is that if Disney can think of it....so can Fox. So if there's a value to it for Disney, Fox knows it. After 2020, in some ways, things favor Disney...but in others, they favor Fox. Fox can easily hurt Disney by refusing to license the distribution of ANH. And as a standalone film, ANH is way more marketable than the 6-minus-one set.

In a sense, that might be a reason for Disney to come to the table now, rather than 2020. From one perspective, you could argue that ANH becomes more "precious" after 2020. Right now, it's just one of a bunch of films. After 2020...it's the one damn thing you don't have that you need the most. So, maybe Fox would be willing to take a larger lump of cash right now, rather than hope it can put Disney over a barrel in 6 years. But if that's not how the parties are operating, then, yeah, I don't see this getting resolved before 2020.

This brings up another issue which makes this entire endeavor a fools errand. Everyone has a different idea what these should be, there is no universal consensus so any release will only satisfy some of the potential consumers.

Prior to the "enhancements" done in 1997, what changes were there? I know about the title change for IV.

I think that is the definitive version of the OT. Anything pre-1997 is acceptable.

Prior to the "enhancements" done in 1997, what changes were there? I know about the title change for IV.

I think that is the definitive version of the OT. Anything pre-1997 is acceptable.

There were probably color timing issues, the presence of "Close the blast doors!" as a line, and different sound mixes. The '93 version, I think, also added the "magnum" sounds to the E-11s in the Death Star. I think most people would "settle" for some pre-'97 version, although I have to admit that I find the "magnum" blasters really annoying. Can't remember if the "YEEAARRRRRRRRRGHHHH!!!!" sound when Luke falls in Cloud City is a '97 addition or not, but I'd rather that goes, too.

There were probably color timing issues, the presence of "Close the blast doors!" as a line, and different sound mixes. The '93 version, I think, also added the "magnum" sounds to the E-11s in the Death Star. I think most people would "settle" for some pre-'97 version, although I have to admit that I find the "magnum" blasters really annoying. Can't remember if the "YEEAARRRRRRRRRGHHHH!!!!" sound when Luke falls in Cloud City is a '97 addition or not, but I'd rather that goes, too.

The yell was added in 97 for sure. I thought "close the blast doors" was added the too. I wasn't aware of the other sound edits you mentioned. As for color timing, I would expect that be fixed in the remastering process.

I would think the most generally accepted version of the original releases was The Definitive Collection LD release back in 1993.

-Eric

The yell was added in 97 for sure. I thought "close the blast doors" was added the too. I wasn't aware of the other sound edits you mentioned. As for color timing, I would expect that be fixed in the remastering process.

I would think the most generally accepted version of the original releases was The Definitive Collection LD release back in 1993.

-Eric

This is the list of changes, both that pre-date the SEs and that post-date it. It can be a little hard to follow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

Anyway, I grew up with a taped copy of ANH from Prism (think early competitor of HBO), and the CBS-Fox VHS tapes from my local video store, for whatever that's worth. But yeah, there's a bunch of different versions floating around out there.

looking at the list they say "close the blast doors" was in the mono release... not sure what that means, but I could swear as a kid me and my brother yelled that a lot while jumping around like little dorks.

looking at the list they say "close the blast doors" was in the mono release... not sure what that means, but I could swear as a kid me and my brother yelled that a lot while jumping around like little dorks.

The line was used somewhere else. I may just break out the LD and S-Video connection this weekend.

Fox can do anything they want for the next 6 years with all 6 films. After that, if they wanted to release ANH they certainly can.

Can they? Distribution rights are not the rights to the film itself, just the right to distribute it to theaters, TV, etc. If the film owner (Disney) does not wish to re-release the film - Fox can't unilaterally do it on their own can they? Plus, they make nothing on any other aspect of the film.

What money is Fox making in the mean time? Home video sales? Can't Disney revoke their right to sell the movies? I'd imagine the right to distribute exists only if the films owner wants it to. Fox may be the only one allowed to distribute, but I don't think they're entitled to distribute regardless.

=Bryancd;3399764]This brings up another issue which makes this entire endeavor a fools errand. Everyone has a different idea what these should be, there is no universal consensus so any release will only satisfy some of the potential consumers.

There are really only two versions of the films 1) the original theatrical versions and, 2) the special editions. Whether the OOT is a niche product or not whoever is going to release these films again will have to do a restoration on the films whether they release the 'special edition' version or the original theatrical version. If they are going to go the 'special edition' route then approximately 97 percent of the OOT would be completed as well as there are not many shots that are different from the two versions. They would then only need to restore an extra 3 percent of the film to make an OOT version, and I am only talking about A New Hope, there are even fewer changes between the special edition and theatrical versions for Empire and Jedi.

IMHO I think it would be foolhardy for whoever owns the rights to these films to not restore them and re-release them(whether it be Fox or Disney), especially with the hype surrounding the new films, if not for profit then for historical reasons alone. These are classic landmark films. To release them just before the new films would be the opportune moment as that is typically the height of all the hype . Plus, if the new films are not that good(heaven forbid), they will be able maximize sales of a home theater release before the hype dies back down again.

I really don't think it is out of the question that the OOT may be restored and released on BR sometime in the near future. Studios are doing major restorations on other important and historically significant films without there being an immediate large profit to be made. Universal just recently did a major restoration on Jaws and it looks beautiful on BR.

Last edited:
Anyway, I grew up with a taped copy of ANH from Prism (think early competitor of HBO), and the CBS-Fox VHS tapes from my local video store, for whatever that's worth. But yeah, there's a bunch of different versions floating around out there.

How about a dual-layer BluRay with Seamless Branching and multiple audio options? Seamless Branching could modify the opening title speed and the "Episode IV: A New Hope" addition to the scroll, while multiple audio options would include and/or leave out certain sections depending on the version of the film.

I can already think of the menu layout. The default version of the film when you highlight the "Play" button would be the first theatrical version, and if you wanted to watch a different version of the film, there would be a "Select Version" button right next to it. Each version could have a picture of the video cassette/re-release poster that correspond with said version while the other side of the menu has a brief introduction and a check list marking off what each version does and does not have. I'd even throw in a hidden easter egg where you can access the "Customize" menu where you control the check list so you can create your own version. Like have all the added audio bits but keep the slow title and non-episodic scroll.

How about a dual-layer BluRay with Seamless Branching and multiple audio options? Seamless Branching could modify the opening title speed and the "Episode IV: A New Hope" addition to the scroll, while multiple audio options would include and/or leave out certain sections depending on the version of the film.

I can already think of the menu layout. The default version of the film when you highlight the "Play" button would be the first theatrical version, and if you wanted to watch a different version of the film, there would be a "Select Version" button right next to it. Each version could have a picture of the video cassette/re-release poster that correspond with said version while the other side of the menu has a brief introduction and a check list marking off what each version does and does not have. I'd even throw in a hidden easter egg where you can access the "Customize" menu where you control the check list so you can create your own version. Like have all the added audio bits but keep the slow title and non-episodic scroll.

How about the Blu-Ray give us the ability to make our own version that makes us the director!?!

Lucas would love that!

- - - Updated - - -

Star Wars Final Cut?

More like Star Wars: Your cut!

GL really left the status of the OT in quite a mess. Too bad he just didn't sell to Fox. Then again, Disney looks to be doing a great job on Episode VII.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back