Clear Sankara Stones *update* - COMPLETED!

How did I miss this thread. Great job. I'm trying to do my own as well. Haven't started yet, still in the research phase. You have given me hope. Thank you
I had to take a break because of life-things and running out of the special dye my gf was using. it's a pretty big beast to tackle and STINKY but hopefully my trials will help! It's a beast of a project honestly.

This is an amazing thread. Is your goal to create the most accurate replica? And then make a run for all of us screen accuracy suckers?
I don't want to do a run as it would certainly be hazardous to my health + these are SO unpredictable. I will have some extra for sure, but not many. I still need to sand down and paint all these.

Easily some of the best Sankara replicas ever made. I own two sets of Restaura's, the lighted and village version, and these look spot on. All of his magic plus movie proportions and overall feel.
Thank you!!! Restaurajones is brilliant and helped me (albeit very cryptically) figure out that I just needed to add WAAAAY too much catalyst. It's basically a science experiment. I plan to add lights eventually, but not I'm just working on getting the colors right.

Last edited:
May I ask what resin brand you used please

I got it from Silpak, but you can also use the Polyester resin from what most craft stores carry from "Castin' Craft" but it is WAY too overpriced and the catalyst is sold separate.... and it's honestly a ripoff. I spent twice as much buying the craft stuff than just going to an actual professional supplier.

Silpak is here: Silpak, Inc. - Polyurethane & silicone mold materials and casting plastics for making rubber molds to cast concrete, plaster, wax, resins & foam from Silpak, Inc.

Good work man.
Good eye for the details.:)
(y)

Another thing: When I look on the new pics from the museum and older pics of the real stones that shows the back of the stones ,can it be that only one of them has the 3 lines or grooves?The other 2 are clean.It could make sense because the one from the village with no lighteffect has them.

1a.jpg

Last edited:
Good work man.
Good eye for the details.:)
(y)

Another thing: When I look on the new pics from the museum and older pics of the real stones that shows the back of the stones ,can it be that only one of them has the 3 lines or grooves?The other 2 are clean.It could make sense because the one from the village with no lighteffect has them.

View attachment 1621528
I'm pretty sure they're just backwards. See this movie comparison I did here to attempt to prove all three have lines in the movie.

I'm pretty sure they're just backwards. See this movie comparison I did here to attempt to prove all three have lines in the movie.

I think thats not the case...look at stone 3 in my pitures...the big "Y"crack shows the other side of the stone.
18591000670_2b138d07b7_b.jpg

I think thats not the case...look at stone 3 in my pitures...the big "Y"crack shows the other side of the stone.View attachment 1621586
If you watch the footage, the stone with the lines facing forward shown up close is placed in the center (nose). Indy initially steals the stone from the left eye socket before he's captured and my screen capture clearly shows white lines on it as he turns it while putting it in his bag. The right eye socket stone has all three lines clearly visible in the footage (photoshop arrows pointing to them) and you can see them on the one Indy is removing too if you look closely.

So, either they switched the stones after the fact or at least two of them have lines on them. It's also possible there are indentations for lines that weren't painted that show up when lit, but that doesn't explain the bag shot of the left eye stone that clearly has a white line drawn in that groove versus the dude holding a white line version out to see and clearly placing it it in the nose position, which ironically has the least evidence of lines on it in the closeups

As for the argument the villagers drew the lines, just because the village one has lines doesn't mean the villagers drew them. That might even be sacrilege. The legend already existed which means even if lost, they weren't always in that mine, but likely just hidden there. Sankara received all five of them from Lord Shiva, originally with magic properties to fight evil.

Real Shiva Lingas in India (you can buy them on eBay easily enough) are stones usually formed by turning water in rivers, although some are from meteorites.

If you watch the footage, the stone with the lines facing forward shown up close is placed in the center (nose). Indy initially steals the stone from the left eye socket before he's captured and my screen capture clearly shows white lines on it as he turns it while putting it in his bag. The right eye socket stone has all three lines clearly visible in the footage (photoshop arrows pointing to them) and you can see them on the one Indy is removing too if you look closely.

So, either they switched the stones after the fact or at least two of them have lines on them. It's also possible there are indentations for lines that weren't painted that show up when lit, but that doesn't explain the bag shot of the left eye stone that clearly has a white line drawn in that groove versus the dude holding a white line version out to see and clearly placing it it in the nose position, which ironically has the least evidence of lines on it in the closeups

As for the argument the villagers drew the lines, just because the village one has lines doesn't mean the villagers drew them. That might even be sacrilege. The legend already existed which means even if lost, they weren't always in that mine, but likely just hidden there. Sankara received all five of them from Lord Shiva, originally with magic properties to fight evil.

Real Shiva Lingas in India (you can buy them on eBay easily enough) are stones usually formed by turning water in rivers, although some are from meteorites.
I think that is not really a good proof.And the resolution is bad.And why see always only one stone with lines on every pic or expo where the stones are together?
Do you think they have the advice from Lucasfilm to hind the lines on the other 2 stones?
Ok it can be...but I think thats not really the case.;)
I don´t say that I´m 100% right...but it needs better proofs for the lines on other stones.

Found another detail on one stone:

1b.jpg

Kroenen77 - All I know for certain is they had them all turned around backwards in that skull display in the movie including the village one, probably to better show off the lighting effects. I could always turn mine around and display them that way lit (i.e. I'd rather have the lines than not have them).

Kroenen77 - All I know for certain is they had them all turned around backwards in that skull display in the movie including the village one, probably to better show off the lighting effects. I could always turn mine around and display them that way lit (i.e. I'd rather have the lines than not have them).
Thats true.For me it´s only interesting to find out that they have lines or not and when they have them how much of them.

Does anyone have suggestions on lighting?

Some are half-hollow based on what I could see from the scene where Indy is holding them glowing.

These are so gorgeous! I totally want one! As for the lighting I'd say play around with a bunch of things and see what looks best. Try a tea light, but may need something brighter, the flicker would be nice though. Possibly a small bulb, maybe one of those long bookshelf tube bulbs. A salt lamp bulb? Could get too hot though. Or maybe some kind of undulating LED strip heavily diffused. No idea if that helps or not, but best of luck!

Last edited:
Here are a few more pics! You can see they are all pretty different as each one represents a step in the process of me figuring out how to do this.

Some have those coin-shaped flecks, some are much smaller coin flecks and look like ground-up crystals and others have internal cracks which were achieved with taking a blade and cutting shapes from the inside while they were curing.

*Note for anyone else that wants to tackle this: as far as I can tell, there is no gold-leaf in the original stones, I heard Adam Savage mentioning that on a few Tested segments and although the resin creates a similar effect, I don't believe anything was ever added inside the stones other than extra hardener.

The paint my partner did also adds a massive amount of dimension as it is not just a straight as there are layers of translucent dye that is then cleared with "Matrix Clear"

Just ordered some lights and will post some pics once they are installed, Keeping 3 for myself and giving some away to friends and may have a couple left over if people are interested, but it would be be extremely limited.

Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 12.59.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 12.55.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 12.55.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 12.54.28 PM.png

These are so gorgeous! I totally want one! As for the lighting I'd say play around with a bunch of things and see what looks best. Try a tea light, but may need something brighter, the flicker would be nice though. Possibly a small bulb, maybe one of those long bookshelf tube bulbs. A salt lamp bulb? Could get too hot though. Or maybe some kind of undulating LED strip heavily diffused. No idea if that helps or not, but best of luck!

Thank you!!!! I just got some lights and will post a video once those arrive! And I may have a few extra, but it will be very very few.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back