Temple of Doom Gladstone Bag Luggage labels Identified (7 of 8!)

Lightning

Master Member
EDIT: much progress made since this collage, see later post.

Discussion of OasisSupernova table project reignited my interest in the Temple of Doom Gladstone bag, and the travel stickers on it. Someone (edit: not Fabilousfab as I thought) did some research on this and identified that two of them are from the Lamport & Holt Steamship line, and also made some placeholders for the unidentified stickers. Since then we have gotten 4k screencaps, so it was time for another look. Below is my research collage and label progress so far

gladstone.jpg

The grayscale picture is from the Indy Press Still Archive on Facebook, I've messaged him about a higher res version, but haven't heard back.

1.Western Exchange Hotel, Port Said. I shifted it from Red to Green, but it's otherwise a match
2. Lamport & Holt Passenger, this one is very close to accurate
3. Lamport & Holt State Room, oval dimensions are slightly off, bottom text is different, I'm sure we could find it if we had more examples online.
4. Hotel Terminus, Morocco
5. Blue Rectangle, I think the graphic at the top is a crown over laurels with an R in the middle
6. Union-Castle Cabin
7. Yellow oval, cant see anything but a couple lines
8. Big rectangle, not enough to go on.

That's what I have so far, any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Just when I thought my TOD display area was pretty much there ….

This is great though. Anyone know of where to procure a screen accurate Gladstone bag?

After much searching and sourcing a high res scan from a rare press still, I have info on 7 of the 8 stickers on the Gladstone bag.

1. Eastern Exchange Hotel, Port Said. I shifted it from Red to Blue, but it's otherwise a match
2. Lamport & Holt Passenger, this one is closeish, it's a later version, text is unknown
3. Lamport & Holt State Room, oval dimensions are slightly off, bottom text is different, (something something Baggage)
4. Paris-Rome Express
5. Cook's Steamer Services. can't find an original, this is my interpretation (Thomas Cook's Travel Service is the origin of the term "Cook's Tour")
6. Union-Castle Cabin
7. Yellow oval, can't see anything but a couple lines, too damaged
8. Carlton Hotels, Grand Hotel Assuan. There's a more common version with Cairo on a red rectangle.

gladstone1.jpg

After much searching and sourcing a high res scan from a rare press still, I have info on 7 of the 8 stickers on the Gladstone bag.

1. Eastern Exchange Hotel, Port Said. I shifted it from Red to Blue, but it's otherwise a match
2. Lamport & Holt Passenger, this one is closeish, it's a later version, text is unknown
3. Lamport & Holt State Room, oval dimensions are slightly off, bottom text is different, (something something Baggage)
4. Paris-Rome Express
5. Cook's Steamer Services. can't find an original, this is my interpretation (Thomas Cook's Travel Service is the origin of the term "Cook's Tour")
6. Union-Castle Cabin
7. Yellow oval, can't see anything but a couple lines, too damaged
8. Carlton Hotels, Grand Hotel Assuan. There's a more common version with Cairo on a red rectangle.

View attachment 1743272

Wow, great detective work dude. I'm having a real hard time not recreating this prop and redoing the Temple portion of my display with the Gladstone as the centerpiece (kind of like my Raiders display built around a vintage, stickered suitcase . . .). God, it never ends . . . lol

I've found the correct Lamport & Holt label, and I've tweaked my Cook's Steamer reconstruction. The yellow oval is still unknown, and may always be.
gladstone2.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back