Clarkson fired, Top Gear taken off schedules

That could actually be part of the reason they are not renewing his contract. They do not want to be accused of protecting employees again.

true true, but this would have all been swept under the rug if Jeremy had not reported it. He turned himself in in a sense. He was doing the sensible thing and the right thing by making it known that there was an altercation with him and the producer. I don't think Tymson would have brought it up as he knew there could be repercussions down the line That may involve him. The BBC could have sorted this out reasonably without firing JC but as you said they are worried about public backlash. I'm sure the general public would be more forgiving if the BBC had forgiven Jeremy Clarkson by giving him some sort warning. Shake hands at the end of the day. We all have a boss or someone at our work we hate. The BBC are definitely NOT forgiven for knowingly turning a blind eye to a paedophile.

Clueless? How am I clueless? Please enlighten me. If this buffoon is someone you admire then I wait with baited breath.

Could Top Gear survive without Jeremy Clarkson? Possibly. Will it survive with all three presenters leaving the show? I doubt it.

They're a package deal, the other two have said they won't return without Clarkson. They'll have to re-cast the entire program and trust me, the hosts were the reason people watched it, not the content. The fact that the BBC has launched 4 international versions of Top Gear and they've all bombed is evidence of that. People would rather watch the UK version than watch their countries' own version.

Unfortunately what happens whilst shooting “on location” , on or off set is still technically the accountability of the employers. The BBC own TP , they paid the production team, managing the people involved on location whilst the filming takes place is ultimately their respouncibility.
Look, regardless of the personalities involved the BBC could only do one thing AFTER JC struck the guy. And that was effectively to not to rehire him once his contract was up for renewal. He hasn’t been “fired”, he’s just not been rehired to present the show again.
Under UK employment law its an act of gross misconduct in or out of “work ” to abuse a colleague. You cannot “step outside the boundaries of working hours” to sort out an issue that has been generated by the conditions of employment. And in criminal law simply striking anybody is assault.
Given all that has happened at the BBC (and, it has to be, said many other institutions over the years where famous, wealthy ,and powerful law breakers appear to have been protected from prosecution) they just had to follow the letter of the law. If they hadn’t every subsequent employee who broke their contracts by committing a similar act (or worse) could have taken them to a court and claimed against them for wrongful dismissal, simply because they had let him get away with it. Its cost them millions, its caused a huge amount of damage to everyone and everybody has lost out because of this, top to bottom. It was not done lightly. It was not the decision anybody wanted.
JC has had numerous verbal warnings about his behaviour in the recent past and I think he has grown as sick of the management of the BBC as they of him. There’s no doubt he’s got some serious personal issues and at some point I feel he was bound to do something dangerously dismissible.
I had a nasty feeling that amongst all the increasingly mad stunts somebody was going to get very badly injured or worse (as happened with Hammond) and Jezzas behaviour was getting far too erratic, ridiculous and difficult to control. You can laugh at a TV scripted “cartoon” moment of idiocy, but when it becomes a real incident, as has happened here, it’s not just not funny any more. JC had become increasingly antagonistic towards the BBC and uncontrollable ,and given this incident was so close to the contract renewal dates it makes me wonder that the whole thing was an almost a deliberate unconscious plea to get “sacked” by punch up.
Its almost as if he decided to deliberately destroy the programme for the BBC. “This is my programme, I built it up, it’s make you tons of money, you keep telling me off, but everybody loves me ,without us its going to be rubbish, so I‘m going to break it now so nobody else gets to play with it ” and he’s done exactly that. Why nobody stepped in between them when the argument started I don’t understand, but the result of letting him throw his tantrum have been catastrophic for the everyone and the program. But then given its history it was nevergoing to end well.
The studio set is being dismantled, the production team is fragmenting , and its effectively disappeared in less than a week. The dozens of peoples directly involved in the making of this are now facing all sorts of problems, namely finding another programme to work. And millions of viewers have now been left disappointed.
And its ALL entirely Jeremy’s fault. Over a “cooked steak and chips“ when there actually was a whole platter of suitable “post booze” foods there for him. So getting lathered in the pub for hours, making the helicopter wait ,turning up two hours late at the very nice hotel after being flown there, demanding a cooked meal at 10.00 pm and then smacking somebody as if he is a personal servant is TOTALLY unreasonable behaviour. Royalty couldn’t get away with that these days so I don’t see why he should be a special case. If he’d done the same to me he’d have probably needed to hire another helicopter to take him to hospital.
I initially both felt very sorry for him and the programme. He was actually a great and very entertaining journalist , I’ve read most of his books, I really enjoyed his newspaper columns back in the day and his original commentaries and reviews on TG a few years ago were often great pieces, these days not so much. TG had become a bit of too much of a quirky cartoon parody of its self a couple of series back but this last one was really cracking and it attracted so many viewers because I guess it was often literally “car crash” TV and funny. I thought the “Three Stooges” act between the presenters worked brilliantly and I shall miss it greatly.
But it does look more and more to me as if this was a deliberate act of self sabotage, unconscious or otherwise. The hard truth is JC is now screwing up both his professional and personal life ,because he’s loosing any semblance of self control. It seems to happen to a lot to old style journalists, the bad habits of living on their nerves causing them to burnout and diehard. He’s fast becoming a real caricature of this is and his on screen persona and that’s bad news for everybody around him , including himself.
Its not the first time Clarkson has left the show . Ages back he and a lot of the other presenters left and viewing figures collapsed and the show was cancelled. Anyway it looks like he and Andy Wilman already had contingency plans for just this kind of outcome. I hope it works out for both him and us and that TG can survive their departure again. And hopefully I’ll watch it.
But not with Russell Brand.

I'm glad I got to see them personally as a team when they filmed in the Northern Territory when they drove the Bentley, gtr and bmw. Knowing personally the roads they took those cars on... Those cars would have been absolutely blasted with red dust and shaken to all buggery. If I was ever in the market to buy one of these make cars I would steer clear of the ones they drove haha.

I wonder how much it would cost to have a Vauxhall VX220 shipped to the US...

Who am I kidding, I can't even afford afford a kid's Power Wheels car :lol

This should have been a personal matter between Clarkson and Tymon (who chose not to press charges.)

Not only did he not press charges, he denies that Jeremy hit him at all. He says he was required to go to the hospital for contractual reasons, not because he was injured.

Not only did he not press charges, he denies that Jeremy hit him at all. He says he was required to go to the hospital for contractual reasons, not because he was injured.

He hasen't denied being hit. That information came from a fake Twitter account which has since been deleted. The Producer has only made one official statement since the incident which came through his lawyer, stating that he will not be pressing charges.

Gets worse: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32103665

If there isn't enough proof already that once again the internet allows everyone access to everyone, but not everyone should have access to the internet.

And now BBC are having to spend license money on security.

That must now be the most costly meal in the history of light entertainment, if not the world.

"For want of a steak the presenter was fired. For want of a chip the programmes were cancelled. All for want of a meal."

And now BBC are having to spend license money on security.

You don't see them spending any money on security for the Producer, who has recieved several hundred death threats. Guess those wern't "credible".

In other news, Jeremy Clarkson is already returning to the BBC on April 24th as a host on Have I Got News For You. Life goes on.

I enjoy Top Gear as much as the next guy. But death threats and other stupid troll behavior against the producer that was punched in the face and then didn't press charges? That is just WAY over the top!

Don't know if I'd call him sane for staying on the Titanic while it's going down, but I guess he doesn't want to go on the unemployment line just yet.

If the BBC wants to go forward with the show as a factual program about cars that's fine, but if they try to keep the same format without Clarkson, Hammond and May it will probably result in something like the U.S. version of Top Gear....in other words, unwatchable.

North One should make their move and hire him for Fifth Gear.

It's funny you bring up Fifth Gear because without Clarkson(and presumably Hammond and May as I expect them to follow him out the door) that's exactly what Top Gear will be like.....and that's not a good thing. ;)

The boys are still doing a tour in Australia but no Stig and it not going to be called Top Gear ...............Quiz , what should the call the live show now...??
Have at it:D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back