Chief Brody from Jaws digital sculpts (2 NECA figure heads + accessories) UPDATE 2/11/23 - COMPLETED

Bloop

Sr Member
UPDATE 2/17/23 - 2 NECA replacement heads + accessories completed:
Brody - Wet & Dry.png
Brody - All models included.png

ORIGINAL POST:
So I haven't been doing any digital sculpting since I finished my Deckard sculpt/3D print, but inspiration struck as I've been following this thread by Flimzy of her build of a scale model of the ORCA from Jaws:
She's building it at the NECA figure scale, but apparently NECA ran into licensing issues and wasn't able to release the Chief Brody figure. She's working on her own sculpt of a Brody head, but I figured I'd give it a try myself. I just started today, but I've made pretty good progress...a lot faster than on my Deckard sculpt. Progress pics, plus references of Roy Scheider:

Brody 7.png

Brody 1.pngBrody 2.pngBrody 3.pngBrody 5.pngBrody 6.png1 5U_gkkw2ZB3YGHLdMdZ-Pw.jpegjaws_2012_bluray_12_1.pngBrody 4.pngjaws_2012_bluray_13_1.pngBrody 8.pngjaws_2012_bluray_46_1.png

Still a ways to go, but I'm pleased with the results so far. The glasses and cigarette aren't done either, kind of placeholders until I make better ones. Plus, I didn't adjust the mouth for the cigarette yet, as I want to do two versions - one with and one without the cigarette. I think I can make the glasses removable too. I don't own any NECA figures, so I'm not sure about adjusting the file to fit on a figure, but that shouldn't be too hard to sort out.

Last edited:
Not bad...but Roy's face is less oblong. In your renders, he looks more like Paul Newman. His overall face is rather square and his right side lips (upper/lower) is down toward the chin. Ears should flare a tiny bit more; yours are too close from the side.
Also, the two pics I've posted is showing a different camera angle; on the upper one, his face is a little longer than the second one where the camera is looking up, rather than looking straight at the face.
Eager to see your next update;)

1668612177631.png

1668612428359.png

Great work. I saw your work on Decker wile I was doing my spinner. If you want a resin print to paint when your finished I can do that for you.
Thank you, that's very kind of you! Hopefully I can get this finished in a reasonable amount of time.

Not bad...but Roy's face is less oblong. In your renders, he looks more like Paul Newman. His overall face is rather square and his right side lips (upper/lower) is down toward the chin. Ears should flare a tiny bit more; yours are too close from the side.
Also, the two pics I've posted is showing a different camera angle; on the upper one, his face is a little longer than the second one where the camera is looking up, rather than looking straight at the face.
Eager to see your next update;)

View attachment 1639011

View attachment 1639012
Thanks, I noticed the similarity to Paul Newman too, maybe I should make some "Color of Money" figures, complete with a tiny Balabushka!
I did have the ears sticking out a bit more earlier, and I noticed it's looking a little too elongated. Some of the issues I have with working in a 3D program is not knowing how the camera was focused in the reference shots from the film. It can distort the figure, especially if the camera was focused in close, or used a wide angle lens. So I've been trying to get the profiles right first, especially for the placement of the ears, so I can judge the depth of the front facing pics better.
I know I've got more to do, but I wanted to post progress pics rather than wait till it's all done - and it helps motivate me to keep working on it.

Update: Likeness is getting closer, I think. Ignore the light spots under the nostrils, Blender always seems to want to light up the nose holes :

Brody 9.png
Brody 10.png

I made a lot of adjustments, changing the position of the eyeballs helped, as did increasing the forehead size (among other things). Changed the size and position of the glasses too.

Update: Likeness is getting closer, I think. Ignore the light spots under the nostrils, Blender always seems to want to light up the nose holes :

View attachment 1639115View attachment 1639116

I made a lot of adjustments, changing the position of the eyeballs helped, as did increasing the forehead size (among other things). Changed the size and position of the glasses too.
Yes, getting better now...as you know the left side is different than the right side (as it's a natural human trait). I like the way your left hand side ear is sticking out a little more compared to the right hand side. (y) Also, his glasses are sitting crooked on his nose (another +)
The upper lips need to be re-worked: the left side (nature again) is the one with the "smile" corner; while the right side is with the "frown" corner.
The lower one is up "normal on the left hand side, but goes down on the right hand side. Hope it helps and eager to see your next update;)

Update: Progress from today. First couple pics are from a from earlier in the day - I made a lot of improvements, but things started going a little too "Paul Newman" again:
Brody 11.pngBrody 14.png
This is how it stands now, I also started adding a lot more detail - keen eyes will see he has eyebrows now (I've had to subdivide the mesh a few times now, getting pretty dense):
Brody 15.pngBrody 16.pngBrody 19.png
Brody 17.png
Brody 18.png

I adjusted more of the asymmetrical features of his face, like I realized his chin isn't even and his left eye is slightly lower than his right - maybe that's the reason why he wore his glasses at a tilt. I adjusted the glasses again (still not finished).

More to do, but hopefully I'm more at the cleanup and detailing phase, maybe a couple minor adjustments but I feel like I'm getting close.

Way better than the previous iteration (y)(y) Yes; every face is asymmetrical and Roy's is slated, as you have done, on the left hand side, including his ear. Hence (again, a nice detail you've kept) the slanted glass wear.
The only thing to tweak is his lower lip; slanted more on the right hand side and a concave mentolabial sulcus (the part in the middle of the lower lip) making it fleshier than your rendering. Sorry for the critique; I'm a super recognizer (1%-2% of the overall population) and looking at facial details is in my DNA...I know; a great thing and a curse at the same time:):(

Way better than the previous iteration (y)(y) Yes; every face is asymmetrical and Roy's is slated, as you have done, on the left hand side, including his ear. Hence (again, a nice detail you've kept) the slanted glass wear.
The only thing to tweak is his lower lip; slanted more on the right hand side and a concave mentolabial sulcus (the part in the middle of the lower lip) making it fleshier than your rendering. Sorry for the critique; I'm a super recognizer (1%-2% of the overall population) and looking at facial details is in my DNA...I know; a great thing and a curse at the same time:):(
Thanks, I do appreciate some constructive critiques - I often don't see the flaws in my work until I look at it with fresh eyes, so it can help to get some feedback.
I think I see the right side curve in the lip you mentioned, but I'm not exactly sure which part of the lower lip needs adjusting - you said it needs to more concave yet fleshier. I'm not sure if you mean the lip itself needs to be fleshier, which would make the part directly below it more concave?

I haven't done any more work on the model since yesterday's post, but I plan on checking some different angles to see if I can figure it out. If you can clarify it a bit, I'd appreciate it (maybe if you diagrammed it on a photo). Thanks!

Thanks everyone!
Update: New aviator glasses. I made new ones from "scratch" that are more accurate, though I think they're too thin to print at the NECA figure scale, so I made some new chunky ones too (they're different than the ones in the old pics, also from scratch). I also worked on the likeness from other angles. It wasn't apparent in the previous pics, but the forehead was a little bulky looking in spots. I also had to fix the ears, especially the right side ear (Brody's left).
Hopefully I can get this ready to print soon, at least a test print. I still want to clean up the hair - I just decimated the mesh on just the hair so I can sculpt in more details, but I haven't started that yet. I know the NECA scale won't show a lot of fine details, but I want to get it looking a bit cleaner for that size as well as possible larger scales prints. I ran into some other issues when trying to get everything ready to 3D print (non-manifolds & such), so I need to fix a few things.
Looking at these pics below, now, I'm not sure I like how that crease looks on the side of his face looks, so I may have another go at tweaking that. I think I'm done with any major changes, though, I'm pretty happy with how it's looking now.

Brody 32 New Aviators.png
Brody 32 New Aviators SIMPLIFIED.png
Brody 33.png

Last edited:
Well, I think I'm pretty much done on the head. finished detailing the hair, and have gotten it to (hopefully) a printable state. I made some adjustments here and there as well, but nothing too big (took out the crease I mentioned in my last post):

Brody 34 - 3c.png
Brody 35 - 3c.png
Brody 36 - 3c.png
Brody 37 - 3c.png

Still figuring out the cigarette, I've edited another copy of the head so that the lip has space for it, but I ran into problems trying to make a hole for it to go in so it can be printed separately. I'll also probably work on making this into a bust, like I did with my Deckard model, so there's still more to be done.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back