Chappie Resource Thread

Awesome! Very nice.

EDIT: Did you get a set of measurements from somewhere or are you guessing?

Thanks!
Its a bit of guess work.
I tried to find one thing on Chappies head that I recognised as a real world item and discovered at the back there is a computer/cooling fan - an off the shelf item. So I scaled a photo to match the size of what I thought the fan size was, so everything I modelled after that would be to the correct scale - bearing in mind I actually selected the right fan size.

Clever.

So, I've seen Chappie twice now, and I'm still not sure what Ninja and the gang stole the first time around. It looks like a bunch of plastic barrels and bags of coins? Did they screw up a heist and only get change when they were supposed to get cash?

-MJ

Another day, another desktop background.

Attachments

• Reject-BKG.jpg
    Reject-BKG.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 187
My attempt to discern recurring themes in the films of Neill Blomkamp. Please forgive any typos. Is there anything I missed?

CAUTION: CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR DISTRICT 9, ELYSIUM AND CHAPPIE.

Attachments

• Blomkamp Themes.pdf
    26.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
It looks to me like they stole drugs from either a pharmaceutical company or a rival gang and the drugs got ruined in the process. Might have a crack at a chappy prop after my eylsium ak.

Updated & corrected my "Themes" table. Added budget & box office gross, just because they're interesting to compare.

According to Box Office Mojo, if we include the foreign sales, Chappie is safely in the black.

And Chappie didn't cost nearly as much as I thought. Only $49 million, for a film with over 1,000 CGI shots.

Attachments

• Blomkamp Themes.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Thanks!
Its a bit of guess work.
I tried to find one thing on Chappies head that I recognised as a real world item and discovered at the back there is a computer/cooling fan - an off the shelf item. So I scaled a photo to match the size of what I thought the fan size was, so everything I modelled after that would be to the correct scale - bearing in mind I actually selected the right fan size.

So, I spent some time trying to get a good scale for Chappie. There are pictures of actors (with known heights) standing next to Chappie. After compositing a bunch of these images and scaling them, it seems that chappie is 6' tall when standing (ground to top of head [not ears]) which is, quite unsurprisingly, the same height as Sharlto Copley
Here are some images for scale:
85331d0376a9b33e548289b235769c3e19575fce.jpgAR-150219926.jpg

Edit:
Here is a mockup with Hugh Jackman
height.jpg

Double Edit:
With this scaling, that puts the antenna at a convenient 7.5 inches long (not including mount and stalk)
antenna-2.pngantenna-1.png

Last edited:
Wes, have you considered purchasing one of the sets of promo 'Chappie ears' and basing your measurements on that?

Given that they were made in advance for Sony / MRC / the production, they should be 'descended' from the real Chappie parts (meaning identical measurements), though I'm sure they're manufactured differently.

-MJ

Now that we know what the business cards look like (thanks for nothing, art book), I've replicated Vincent's and 'made up' cards for Deon & Michelle.

Not sure if this address means anything; it's not Denel's address (which I had put on my cards before we saw a real one up close). Kempton Park appears to be some ritzy suburb in Gauteng, but I didn't see any results for "Rift Road." The GPS coordinates are in the middle of nowhere.

Michelle's title (made up) is based on the title of the CEO of Denel, but was too long to fit, so I truncated it.

Yes, you can take these PDFs and go get them printed. Note that they are one-color but full bleed. Which will affect your price.

-MJ

Attachments

• BC Michelle.pdf
    13 KB · Views: 155
  • BC Deon.pdf
    13 KB · Views: 159
  • BC Vincent.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 140
Wes, have you considered purchasing one of the sets of promo 'Chappie ears' and basing your measurements on that?

Given that they were made in advance for Sony / MRC / the production, they should be 'descended' from the real Chappie parts (meaning identical measurements), though I'm sure they're manufactured differently.

-MJ

I had no idea those existed. I'll be jumping on a pair of those asap.

I have been busy for a day or two so havent been able to update my Chappies head 3d model but now you've posted this it will speed up the process.
These photos would have been useful before I started haha!

So, I spent some time trying to get a good scale for Chappie. There are pictures of actors (with known heights) standing next to Chappie. After compositing a bunch of these images and scaling them, it seems that chappie is 6' tall when standing (ground to top of head [not ears]) which is, quite unsurprisingly, the same height as Sharlto Copley
Here are some images for scale:
View attachment 452355View attachment 452356

Edit:
Here is a mockup with Hugh Jackman
View attachment 452418

Double Edit:
With this scaling, that puts the antenna at a convenient 7.5 inches long (not including mount and stalk)
View attachment 452455View attachment 452454

Just measured the ear on my chappie and its 7.2 inches long, so close! :lol

Thanks to the auctions, we've gotten a pretty good look at the generic, background Tetravaal technician badges.

These seem to be made of laminated paper and come in two varieties (or more?): with and without the Tetravaal 'watermark' background.

I have taken the liberty of replicating one of the ones with the watermark background.

Print this out on paper, apply glue to the unprinted back side, fold carefully along the dotted grey line, then cut carefully along the solid grey line on the 'front' side. Round the corners (cheap corner rounders are available at most craft stores) and carefully cut out the light blue 'slot.' I would recommend using a small hole punch on either end, and then 'connecting' the holes with 2 straight cuts.

Hero ID tags are paired with Tetravaal lanyards, but background characters got plain black lanyards.

Attachments

• Technician DIY ID Card.pdf
    120 KB · Views: 137

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back