Chappie Resource Thread

Spotted these for sale but a good reference to make your own version!

16734951.jpg

16734952.jpg

Got my 'making of' book tonight.

You're right, the (presumably accidental) inclusion of 'not final' art is a little frustrating.

Conversely, that could have been the inevitable result of printing deadlines...

Last edited:
I know they probably had a deadline but I would prefer the art book not come out till after the release than to have a book of inaccurate reference material.
I have been collecting a bunch of reference material for the head and I'll get around to posing them later. I wound up just guessing the text on the data plate. It is possible that we will never know the text without an inside party.
dataplate-fixed.png

Also, concerning the IDs:
The art book has a picture of the front and back of a TETRAVAAL ID however, I'm not sure it is screen accurate. There is also a typo on the ID where they spell TETRAVAAL as TERAVAAL. I left it as it is in the book.
book-id-front.pngbook-id-back.png

I tried to figure out if that ISBN number was some kind of joke, but it appears to be an invalid number, too short or too long, or maybe just made up. Perfect opportunity for an inside joke, but no dice.

La_ca_0105_chappie_068compressed.jpg
The handgun used by Ninja and Chappie is a Vektor SP1 Sport with an extended ported barrel. It's based heavily on the Beretta 92 but has a modified (shrouded) slide.
800px-Vektor_SP1_sport.jpg

It has a wrap around rail that I haven't identified yet. Looks like a beretta tacrail.
tacrail2.jpg

The red dot scope is a cheap $25 red dot scope.
51ybJULpn0L._SL1300_.jpg

In this on-set photo, Sharlto is reading a book to Chappie. This is not Chappie's black sheep book, but a piece of set dressing (I think). This is Die Swart Kat Slaan Neer, it's a kids' series about a child crime-fighter or something. I think this is the correct version of the cover, and I could not find a larger image.

-MJ

Attachments

• book1.jpg
    book1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Die Swart Kat.JPG
    Die Swart Kat.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 113
Had a minor epiphany re: the 'forehead label.' We know this reused icon (from Elysium) is a circle, so if we stretch the proportions of the images of the forehead label until that icon is a circle, we can get the proper proportions. Mine looks like this. Unfortunately, this can't give us the size, only the proportions... And I've had to guess and make-up the Afrikaans hidden under the Reject label, which kills me.

Attachments

• Thingy.jpg
    Thingy.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Screen-Shot-2015-03-12-at-8.04.58-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2015-03-12-at-8.04.58-PM.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 159
This is Die Swart Kat Slaan Neer, it's a kids' series about a child crime-fighter or something-MJ

You are quite correct in your assumption regarding the book, its a kids story described as such:
The Black Cat is on the trail of criminals in South Africa. The phrase "idly standing by" does not exist in his vocabulary . He is faster than the strike from a Mamba (snake), soars like an eagle, is strong as an ox and is as cunning as a Honey Badger...

Great research gents and thanks for posting..

It would would make a great DVD case, hint, hint, as has been done with some other films (I, Robot, IIRC).

And then we could create aftermarket decals for it, and LEDs...

I think this is the "Bite Me Fanboy" vest, but notice the heretofore unseen patches on the pockets, and "ZEF" on the collar...

...For anybody making their own :)

Attachments

• Ninja Patch.jpg
    Ninja Patch.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 139
Fired off quickie emails to Image Engine & Weta re: Chappie. Fingers crossed.

Probably going to watch Elysium tonight and see Chappie again tomorrow.

-MJ

Awesome! Very nice.

EDIT: Did you get a set of measurements from somewhere or are you guessing?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back