Building R2-D2 Update, 3 Years and Finally Finished

Re: Building R2-D2

Just here to drop off some motivation, I finished mine about a year ago here is a quick video of it's test drive.
Looking really good on your work so far! Keep it up! Hope to see you driving soon, If you ever need anything at all feel free to shoot me a PM :) however it looks like you got this by the balls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just here to drop off some motivation, I finished mine about a year ago here is a quick video of it's test drive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2kMCoWiOw
Looking really good on your work so far! Keep it up! Hope to see you driving soon, If you ever need anything at all feel free to shoot me a PM :) however it looks like you got this by the balls.

Thanks everybody!
Love your R2, I wish I could have mine RC but he is just going to sit in the corner, head spinning and muttering to himself every now and again :)

Just waiting on feet, skirt and holoprojectors now

Thanks everybody!
Love your R2, I wish I could have mine RC but he is just going to sit in the corner, head spinning and muttering to himself every now and again :)

Just waiting on feet, skirt and holoprojectors now
Well, to be honest that's what mine does 99% of the time, it's hard to find time to take him out. Most of the enjoyment I get from him is watching him sit in the corner of my living room.

I am so jealous!
I've been a member of the R2 Builders site for years, skulking around, gathering plans, making excuses for never dropping the hammer and just doing it. Threads like these make me want to just start buying pieces!
Looks awesome!

Very nice work on the R2-D2, I so want a full size R2-D2 since Star Wars came out also but I just can not save enough funds to build one..

Thanks guys!

I can see light at the end of the tunnel

Just waiting on Holo projectors, feet, ankle details and hoses.

Not sure how I am going to attach the feet yet as they are not having motors or wheels fitted

Very nice R2, looks brilliant, spot on! Good to see how it's made. Certainly looks like there's a lot of bits. Out of interest what kind of paint/spray are you using? Great work, look forward to seeing it finished :eek:)

Out of interest what kind of paint/spray are you using?

Thanks Rob

Using a few different brands

Hycote Bodyshop High Build Grey Primer
Hycote Citroen Poseidon Blue

Plasti-kote Premium Spray Paint Primer (white)
Plasti-kote Premium Spray paint Satin white

and Plasti-kote Clear sealer

Another productive day today

Legs finally finished

Test fitting (again) making sure everything still lines up

Aluminium tape put around shoulder hubs,

Also painted and fitted his skirt

I just realised that he is not going to fit in the corner of the living room where I had planned to put him.:(

This means that I am going to have to move the front room around, Just got to wait for the appropriate time to suggest this to the wife :rolleyes

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back