BTTF Futaba Delorean Remote Project

Just to inform the group. My intention where to use Smooth On Mould Max 30, but I went for Esprite Composite RTV Polycondensation RTV 181 (Shore A 27) which has a high tear resistance, but white in colour. I am now waiting for the silicone cast to cure so that I can make a new batch for the other side. Very exciting period.

If you want to read about it - Its French and I happen to study French at the moment.
http://www.espritcomposite.com/IMG/pdf/rtv181.pdf

Huston, we have a problem.

I made the first mould and part A where somewhat successful. Part B was not as much. There are trapped air that can be seen in the image (partB) and incomplete columns. This is completely unusable and the entire mould will be scraped.

partb.jpg

You can also see issues with partA.

partA.jpg

I used polyvinyl alcohol between the two parts, but this was not good enough as a mould release, so the partA and partB stuck to one another, a horrible situation. So, I will need to use Vaseline or baby powder, it is also recommended by the supplier.

Part 2 is that shore 27 is way to soft. I need more like 55 for this type of work, and i need to brush on a layer before I fill the form completely. I will use RTV 255 for the next round, but will call kinn.com and talk to Ronny and get his opinion about it. So it is a no go atm

durometer_with_logo_small_580.jpg

So it is a no go atm

I am waiting for RTV-Silikon 255 to be in stock again. This one has shore A 55 which I think is better for this piece. The reason is that some of the holes are rather thin as you can see in the picture.

New casting. This time I used Vaseline, brushed it on everywhere and finally brushed on a layer of silicon in very hole and the corners of them. I'll be damned if this does not produce an excellent mould... 24 hours or so and I'll know.

:)

If you look at the image, 3 of the holes produces air pockets. So irritating. The separation of part A & B went splendid thanks to vaseline. What I will do is use parts from the first cast and reaper the 2 that need to be completed while one only need some more filling - difficult to describe, but this mould will work. It is after all just the one that allow me to produce the one I can work with in order to produce the single display, however, it can as you know also be used for the digital speedometer. So hopefully it will be okay. The sad thing is that I am out of silicone and I think it is best to use silicone as the glue or fix when I reaper this one. So I need to order some more silicone, and I would need to do that anyway when I am ready with the single display. So over all, great news. :D

BTTF_mould2.jpg

I am not going to be able to work on the display for 2-3 weeks. I have a family situation I need to take care of. But it will live with my spirit.
Sorry for the news, but sometimes life knocks on the door. Stay strong :thumbsup

I am going to use a pipette for the LED / light-bulb holes. They are very prominent to retain or trap air, but by forcing silicon into the cavity, and doing it in stages, that should be a minimal risk. Remember that I have never created moulds before so the problems where expected. So I will make a new part-B and hopefully, this one will be perfect. Still 2-3 weeks away, but spite the fact that I am note at home, I am thinking about it and how to do things.

:)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back