Mission Impossible Fallout. Bomb and remote

EngineeringDeck

Hi all.

I started this quite a while back, and never got too far with it. I see a couple of other people are attempting the remote.
I started with the bomb, and have just finished designing the remote.

Not got too far with the main bomb yet, as I am waiting for my new 3d printer to arrive. Plus, the huge pile of parts I ordered for the electronics.

I won't repeat too much of the remote, as there is another thread in here that is basically the same.

The remote has an ESP32 in it (I have piles of those), and is charged inductively. The arm key is being made using some brass USB style plugs and sockets I found in China.
One of the two arm key USB sockets is used to talk/program the ESP32 (so I don't have to keep taking it apart), and the other actually arms the remote.
I can upload to the ESP32 using OTA (over the air), but I prefer a wired connection.

There is a multiplexer in the remote so that I can make use of all the buttons, leds etc. If you hold the Safe/ON button when you insert the arm key, the remote becomes a controller for the main bomb as a simple alarm clock.
Just inserting the arm key otherwise puts it in 'film' mode.

The remote works exactly like the one in the film.

The remote looks for a Wi-Fi connection that is issued by the bomb. One connected, it keeps time with the clock on the bomb by sending out a sync pulse each second.
Should you go out of range, the timers count independently and whichever gets to zero first (in theory,at the same time), triggers detonation.

Insert the arm key, it comes to life. Set the time using the rotary encoder on the top. Pressing that changes minutes, seconds and Ms.
Once you switch on the toggle switch, removing the arm key makes no difference, the clock will still keep ticking. You must turn off the toggle switch first.

If disarmed, the arrow buttons open/close the core.
The other buttons operate 'film quotes' or play various Mission Impossible music tracks.

The trial code is on the breadboard (wrong font... I know. That will be changed).

The bomb. A nightmare of inconsistent images and scales!

The timer I am pretty sure is CGI (as is the one on the remote).

But, after what seemed forever, I think I have the scale and design as close as I will ever get it.
Not sure yet if I am going to make the central mounting plates out of aluminium. That will be expensive, but that is what they should be.

The whole design is a nightmare of angles and everything being 120 degrees spaced makes design interesting.
I should have used Fusion360 for the drawing, but I am still learning that. So I seriously pushed the boundaries of Tinkercad!

Pretty much all of it will be 3d printed, with aluminium bars for the frame. I could not find good matches for the control boxes, so I designed my own.

The linear actuators for the opening core will be housed in a 3d printed enclosure to match the prop.
This will function as a prop, but also as a posh alarm clock.

LONG way to go.

Last edited:
So the remote is complete. Only thing to change is the Font to the correct one (this one is a placeholder font) and the cover on the toggle switch should not have that hole in it. I now have a handful of the correct toggle switch covers with no hole (they are a discontinued product).

Made a custom PCB. Added the ability to have it as a remote for the main weapon (which will double up as a clock). If you hold the SAFE button on the remote when you add the arm key, you enter clock mode and the buttons on the remote operate the main weapon clock functions instead.
You can also call up Mission Impossible audio clips and music.

The internal LiPo is inductively charged on the custom charger base (not quite finished).

Remote looks for the WiFi network issued by the main weapon. Shows actual WiFi strength on the signal meter.
When locked on, it can arm the main weapon. If WiFi is lost, the remote continues to count (as does the main weapon).

Arming key switches the unit on. Once armed, the only way to turn off the remote is to remove that key. The arm toggle switch is disabled once armed.
That arming key is the temp one. I have resin printed a much cleaner version now. It has 2x USB plugs built into it.
One of the plugs activates the remote control. The other USB plug is a dummy, but the socket it goes into is the programming port for the onboard ESP32 processor.

All the buttons on the remote do various things. The arrow buttons open and close the weapon core (when it's not armed).
There are also shortcuts using these buttons to instantly jump to 1, 5 or 15 minutes before arming.

Attachments

• 20231027_184052.jpg
    20231027_184052.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back