Boba Fett helmet build, ongoing project.

Re: pepafett (boba fett pepakura attempt) Almost flat cheeks, but not completely

are these two picture very similar? yes!
are these two pictures almost 100%? definitely!
but there is a light difference of about 5% so it was almost essential to upload both.

these pictures, or the camera made my bucket look really narrow, but don't be deceived, its not so.

well yes today i smoothed more, adding more filler and then yes! sanding more but it's all worth it, or at least it should be in the end. now i have the power of sight after taking the dremel to it

PICT0258-1.jpg

PICT0269-2.jpg

Re: pepafett (boba fett pepakura attempt) Almost flat cheeks, but not completely

Sometimes it's easier to do it the hard way. How much time and money have you spent on that cheek?

Sometimes it's easier to do it the hard way. How much time and money have you spent on that cheek?

when i first started the build i began to keep track of the hours i spent on it but by now its just all blurred into one massive journey, but i could guess i spent 10 hours on the cheeks, im a moderately slow worker, but i get the work done

money on build so far, 40-50 English sterling pounds (£) 2 filler tubs, resin, fibre glass and other bits found or borrowed :)

Re: pepafett (boba fett pepakura attempt) I have the power of sight!

man that is one neat looking piece of bucket there:):thumbsup...

cant wait to see it finished (painted)... im sure it will be awesome!:love

keep it up!(y)thumbsup

man that is one neat looking piece of bucket there:):thumbsup...

cant wait to see it finished (painted)... im sure it will be awesome!:love

keep it up!(y)thumbsup

considering the quality of your iron man helmet build that is quite a compliment, thank you pRoJectEarth7 for the kind words . as for the paint job, i dont quite know how that will pan out as i have no painting skills, but i didnt have any model making/building skills either when i started this build

i seem to be posting more pictures now than before, dremeled the cheeks to shape

PICT0266-3.jpg

PICT0269-3.jpg

now ready for icing

some nice close up's
PICT0268-2.jpg

PICT0265-1.jpg

now to ice the cake
PICT0271-1.jpg

PICT0273.jpg

just a rough first coating.

then a nice B/W picture
PICT0255-2.jpg

more to come later today i hope

It's ridiculous how sharp and smooth your helmet is coming along, I wish mine would progress in a similar fashion but at the moment it just isn't working out. good job

It's ridiculous how sharp and smooth your helmet is coming along, I wish mine would progress in a similar fashion but at the moment it just isn't working out. good job

keys to my progress, a dremel and mouse sander, and just time, just need put the time in and you'll be rewarded. thank you for the encouraging words Peep Williams

What do you use the dremel for?
Or rather what tools in general do you find work best for certain steps, like shaping, sanding, cutting etc? and which dremel attachments

Last edited:

Wow just wow. I'm loving reading through your thread. I'm a beginner who is about to start my first project in November. Some really inspiring stuff here. It really has me hopefull that mine will come out ok.

Any rough idea on how much you've spent on it this far? I know you are in the UK an all but I wouldn't mind hearing an idea on how much it would cost me to make something like this.

Thanks again for all the progress posts tips and pics. It's all greatly appreciated.

Or rather what tools in general do you find work best for certain steps, like shaping, sanding, cutting etc? and which dremel attachments

You can use a dremel for sanding or cutting hard to reach places or little touch ups. There a bunch of attachments for it too.

this is a better answer than i would of been able to provide -
You can use a dremel for sanding or cutting hard to reach places or little touch ups. There a bunch of attachments for it too.

however i'd just add i have only used the cutting disc attachment so far to cut areas like the cheeks and visor trim to shape and around the helmet for the ridge, its a life saver, highly recommended, along with a mouse sander, a small(ish) one

Wow just wow. I'm loving reading through your thread. I'm a beginner who is about to start my first project in November. Some really inspiring stuff here. It really has me hopefull that mine will come out ok.

Any rough idea on how much you've spent on it this far? I know you are in the UK an all but I wouldn't mind hearing an idea on how much it would cost me to make something like this.

Thanks again for all the progress posts tips and pics. It's all greatly appreciated.

i'd nice to here i can give others hope, as i felt the same just before i started my own build, thank you lord magneto. money i've spent is only about (resin and fibre glassing kit - pound 10, super glue £3, tub of filler/bondo 10 pound each, i carelessly used my first tub, wasting alot) £45-50. bits like sander paper i already had lying around the house but you need make sure you've got good sander, but junk that will fall about after 2 minutes of sanding. i am yet to buy primer and paints, that will be the main cost i think but dont know how much yet, not looked into that step thus far.

any other questions i'd be happy to (try and) answer

so it Halloween again, pumpkin carving time

last years attempt, was my first pumpkin carving attempt.
PICT0141.jpg

now this year, there was only one choice for me, it was obvious.
PICT0020.jpg

poor picture quality but i'm pretty proud of it :)

as for my build i have the main bulk of the bucket done, minus the ears/ranger finder and the vents on the back im done, ready for primer, not camera hence no picture updates, should have something soon though.

long time coming but a update, of sorts.

lets the pictures speak for them selves.

PICT0256-1.jpg

PICT0260-3.jpg

PICT0263-3.jpg

PICT0270-2.jpg

PICT0274.jpg

tried lay the helmet down to take a picture of the glorious dome
PICT0267-1.jpg

then went to take another picture and just as was clicking...
PICT0268-3.jpg

it began to roll off the table making a tense moment for me

chopped out the gap for the vent
PICT0279-1.jpg

make that and the ears out of something, likely MDF and then it will be ready for a coat of primer.

... and my pumpkin

PICT0281.jpg

its time have come to an end

comments and criticism?

Re: pepafett (boba fett helmet pepakura attempt) Ventilating

That is a nice Ronda dome

i am quite fond of my dome :rolleyes
needs a little more smoothing however

Nice and sharp build! How much does the helmet weight?

it weighs less ever day cause i seem to be just cutting parts off it, doubt it weighs as much as a bag of sugar

this is turning out great!!!!! it looks really smooth.

i do feel im making good progress, or at least i've got something that looks like something recognisable

anyone have suggests for visors in terms of where to buy one?

Re: pepafett (boba fett helmet pepakura attempt) Ventilating

long work there, and ive seen the cheek done a few times........... bit late now but i use milliput if i need to shape - a 2 part putty and when its dry it sets rock hard and is sandable. but the beauty of milliput is that you can shape it and if you wet your fingers and shape it you can smooth it out, very much like working with clay but its an epoxy so sticks to anything

i know its a bit late now but for the future use milliput if you need some shaping done - you have a good hour before things start the hardening process and after 14hrs or so it sets rock hard. it will certainly allow you to mold and shape the cheek first time, then add the filler or some more milliput to finish the bits off - i pay 2.50 a box for mine altho hobbycraft charge around 5 quid :(

good to see it IS taking shape now tho - the hard graft is starting to pay off

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back