Boba Fett helmet build, ongoing project.

Re: pepafett (boba fett pepakura attempt)

day 9

more sanding and smoothing and adding more filler to sand and smooth
PICT0238.jpg

PICT0240.jpg

PICT0242.jpg

still to smooth out some imperfection on the dome (the shaded areas needed some blucking up that i added before the end of the day)

day 10

used some thinner filler to plug the little gaps
PICT0243.jpg

next, try to figure out how to sort this mess out, neatly and accurately
PICT0249.jpg

after using nothing but credit cards, timber cut offs as sanding blocks and the sand paper its self i then spent the next 5 hours of my built using an electric and normal planer, a circular saw, belt sander, disc sander, sand paper on its own, and a tennon saw, and a few more manual and electrical tools and came out with this...

PICT0246.jpg

going need to figure out the different levels/thickness on the helmet before i hack off the ears and implant my new MDF ones, but should pay off in the end with a cleaner and sharper finish... or so i think

happy building everyone!

getting there mate, can see it's starting to come together now.

there's times when it feels like you're getting nowhere....then it all starts to come together in abundance :)

stick at it, it'll be worth it

not really got much done in last couple of days, been slow progress.

after getting my "ears" made up i set to getting a clean/smooth finish to start the ridge/lip/frown that goes all the way around the helmet.

got it all smoothed out and ready to have an attempt to putting a frown around it.

i've got an idea of how to do it on but not too sure how it'll work out, might have picture update tonight, more than likely be tomorrow though.

almost had my ridge around the helmet finished off, put on last filler layer and then thought i'd go make my dinner, leaving it outside to dry and keep it from making my house stink. sit down with my dinner 40 minutes later and look outside and its raining/heavy. so now my helmet got covered in water will this mess with it and cause problems? if anyone read this and can help me with any know-how or advice please do so.

still can't believe i left it outside :/

ooo sorry to hear that mate :(

while i was wet sanding mine water soaked through from the inside to the paper pepakura, i noticed a hairline crack on the outer surface the next day, not sure if the paper had swollen up.

if your bondo is thick enough it should be fine, my crack was at a very thin patch where i must have nearly sanded through the resin layer.

almost had my ridge around the helmet finished off, put on last filler layer and then thought i'd go make my dinner, leaving it outside to dry and keep it from making my house stink. sit down with my dinner 40 minutes later and look outside and its raining/heavy. so now my helmet got covered in water will this mess with it and cause problems? if anyone read this and can help me with any know-how or advice please do so.

still can't believe i left it outside :/

you should still be good.. though the body filler may have soaked up some of the water. give it time to dry out some and then go at it again with your favorite method of sanding...

One tip for future pepakura builds , Work on one section of the helmet at a time.

ooo sorry to hear that mate :(

while i was wet sanding mine water soaked through from the inside to the paper pepakura, i noticed a hairline crack on the outer surface the next day, not sure if the paper had swollen up.

if your bondo is thick enough it should be fine, my crack was at a very thin patch where i must have nearly sanded through the resin layer.

you should still be good.. though the body filler may have soaked up some of the water. give it time to dry out some and then go at it again with your favorite method of sanding...

One tip for future pepakura builds , Work on one section of the helmet at a time.

well the inside of my helmet was pretty much bone dry, couldn't really see or feel any water , with the cool/cold feeling from the rain water giving it a chill. i've had it in the airing cupboard for couple of hours, had a look at it, seemed okay but im not about it give it the all clear just yet.

thank you for the reassuring and comforting words, helps puts my mind at ease a little

well for anyone out there still looking at this build i have a rather small update considering the time i've been away building

well it came to doing the ridge around the helmet and i wasn't too sure what to use as a base to add filler to so i first looked around the house and couldn't find anything. went to DIY store to find something, i found something like a plastic/rubber seal the perfect width and thickness but for the price it wasn't worth it.

being the cheap and stuborn person i am i decided to use some corrugated card board and cut to size/shape and glue it in place. adding a small amount of filler because i figured this method wasn't going to work anyway. was going to sand it but realised the card could just be squashed because of the gaps, as it was corrugated. rip that off.

got some thinner card, and double it up, had a nightmare lining it up and sticking in place. threw some filler on it, sanded it, more filler, sanded it, more filler and so on and so on until about 4 days after first putting on the card on i have got to this point shown below.

PICT0260.jpg

badly drawn star wars logo done during a rainy after noon

PICT0261.jpg

PICT0264.jpg

the back need alot of attention thats the second thing of my now "to-do" list after the 'ears'

i have added another bit of filler to certain parts of the ridge after taking this pictures as i wasn't happy with some of it as im anal retentive

thoughts, advice, questions, constructive criticism?

I think it is looking pretty good. Getting that detail back into it after all the filler is where the work is at. I need to work on mine some more, I set it down for a couple weeks and I think it's time to get back to it. Looks like you have some sanding in your future.

I'm also assuming that you didn't have too much trouble with your water scare?

ooooft you did the ridge with filler?!!! congrats if you did mate, i found that stuff really hard to shape so i went with the milliput when i added my brow ridge and all sharp edges.

its looking really sweet tho mate the shape in the first photo looks areally nice, glad your H2o scare hasn't caused any serious set backs.

be sure to keep updating us mate cause we are still watching :)

the water scare was luckily just a momentary scare, no permanent damage thankfully in answer to your enquire Hebinator and terra1

well today was little bit more sanding on the ridge which i'll be leaving for now, on to the next job, hacking off the 'ears' which was a refreshing change of pace :)

sanded them down to a rough height to be level with the ridge as its intended to be.

PICT0265.jpg

you can see all the way through

PICT0269.jpg

going flatted that off with lots and lots of filler for a clean base to attach my MDF ears onto. it all sounds so easy as i type it out, almost like no problems can arise.

i made some rough inserts to be fixed inside the gaps to put the filler onto, nothing fancy as i shouldn't be too vital to fit in neatly.

PICT0276.jpg

don't really know with i wrote right and left on them :confused best be sure not to mix them up.

hehe...what is it with people hacking ears off at the minute!!! looking good pal, we'll get there eventually :)

small.quick update.

glued in my little wood fillers to plug up the holes in the ears and threw some filler on the outside and inside to make it nice a rigid. the timber wasn't strong/thick or glued particularly very well in place but it didnt really matter because of the filler covering it.

right ear with wood plug glued in place
PICT0277.jpg

outside view

PICT0283.jpg

inside view, its a bit of batch work but doesn't really matter

PICT0280.jpg

and the left ear after its have its filler on top of it

not a whole lot of accuracy involved here as its intended as base. going sand smooth, likely one or two more applications of filler and sanded smoothed again so its ready to have the MDF ears glue/attached on.

this part of the build shouldn't take to long.

i hope i dont live to regret what i just said

enjoying watching this - glassed the inside of my fett helmet today, will add some more tomorrow and start with filler on friday afternoon - half day at work - WOOHOO!

Keep up the good work - what you doing about key slots?

Glad to see it coming along! Looking forward to an update soon, perhaps? ;)

im back at my own house recently which is results in slow progress, normal work on it at my girlfriend as her dad has all the tools i'd ever need and a good work space, should have something for the end of today though (i hope)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back