Blade Runner 30th Anniversary

Re: Premiered 30 years ago today... I've seen things you people woudn't believe...

Most important films are still overlooked to this day. Blade Runner has the luck of not only being well preserved, but also well documented, researched and discussed. It's influence is very clear in a lot of other hit scifi movies.

Agreed with what Jeyl said. And yes looks like there is nothing much planned celebrating its release date today, but there might be screenings in selected independent theatres later this year, like the one that took place last month posted by rodneyfaile above.

Blade Runner at 30: Celebrating Ridley Scott’s Dystopian Vision | Entertainment | TIME.com
Here is Time magazine's article which was posted today.

Amazon.com: Blade Runner 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition (4-Disc Blu-ray / DVD +UltraViolet Digital Copy Combo Pack
And there is also the 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition.

Last edited:
Is the hero really the hero?
Is the villian really the villian?
As a teen I was still processing all that, and this moment just gave me chills.
The normal victory of the "villian" vanquished gave way to a different sort of victory
and it really resonated with me at that time.

Untitled-7.jpg

Last edited:
Great point CessnaDriver - I remember too being very young when I watched it and grappling with some strange new thoughts in that moment - a turn of events so not what I expected or was used to.

I don't recall the voice-over being a problem until people got wind that it was foistered upon Scott and then it became "that god awful voice-over". Never had a problem with it myself, seems fitting, and it was I grew up on.
The first time I saw BR was with some friends when the original VHS came out. Reaction among my friends at the time was mixed, including the VO. That was the one thing that just seemed kind of bland and unnecessary about it to me, but I did not hate the VO. I have one friend that absolutely loves the VO version, and another who hated it with a passion. Not the film, just the VO. He told us so right after we finished watching the VHS, and continues to hate it to this day, so not everyone was a fan in the beginning. None of us knew that Ridley was pushed into adding it at the time.

When I heard about the first directors cut without the VO, I was initially against it because we had all grown up with the VO and were used to it. When I finally saw it, I loved it. Whole different feel to the film without it and the drive-off ending. Now that's the only one I can watch.

When I heard about the first directors cut without the VO, I was initially against it because we had all grown up with the VO and were used to it. When I finally saw it, I loved it. Whole different feel to the film without it and the drive-off ending. Now that's the only one I can watch.

What about the Final Cut?

I'm having a Blade Runner Party on the 30th. We're going to watch Final Cut on Blu-ray and I'm going to print out MONI covers to give out to the party-goers. :)

What about the Final Cut?

That came later. The unicorn scene adds little now as far as I'm concerned, but it's nice to have in in there as it add a whole other level of weirdness to Deckard.

I just wish I could have seen that version first to know how I would have initially reacted and interpreted it with no prior knowledge of the scene. By the time it got restored we had all know about it for years, and were already told what it meant.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back