Beauty and the Beast Broadway Belle Ballgown WIP (COMPLETED, SEE PAGE 2)

Re: Beauty and the Beast Broadway Belle Ballgown WIP (shooting for late Feb)

Daughter would be in heaven to have a dress like that.... Great progress

This is stunning! Always look forward to your threads, Aimee :)

thanks you guys! Here's a few more progress photos. My due date got pushed back so I've been working a bit more slowly. (YAY)

Here's the skirt with the glittered net overlay. Temporarily pulled up to see where I'm going to put the bows. The glittered net has roses all over it, I couldn't help but get it. ;)
belle7.jpg

adding gold trim to the glittered net overlay.
belle8.jpg

Love watching your costumes evolve! You do such amazing work :D
Question: Can I ask about the layers of your bodice? You said you used the lace overlay on top of your lame fabric. Then, you flatlined (ironed?) it onto a layer of coutil fabric? And then boned it? So is your layer of boning in between the lame fabric and the coutil? I"m trying to learn as much as possible and you have always been someone whose costumes I admire! Thanks :D

Thanks guys!

Pasohoss07 - It's best for your bones to be between two stiff layers of fabric, because they could cause stress or poke out of fragile fabrics.

flatlining means cutting out two (or more) layers of fabric of the same pattern piece and then laying them perfectly over each other, pinning them together, and then running a basting stitch around the edge, close to the edge... so that then those pieces are as if they were one piece. Does that make sense?
You can use flatlining to overlay transparent fabrics (like my lace + lame) and you can also use flatlining to strengthen an unstable or fragile fabric. Both the lace and lame would be relatively unstable (they'd misshape or tear or unravel easily).

So if I remember correctly, I interfaced the lame (iron interfacing, relatively medium/lightweight), put the lace on top of that, and then put those layers on top of the coutil.
I think on this one, I used the seam allowance of the coutil folded over for bones, so the bones are contained by coutil on both sides. Sometimes in a corset, you'd have two entire layers of coutil to hold in the bones.

and then there's the lining layer to clean it up at the end.

I hope that makes sense!

Here's some more slow WIP photos. Working on bows and just finished sewing in the lining in the underarms.
Shooting to be done by this weekend! I just need to:
- put grommets in the back for lace up
- modesty panel if I have time...?
- make one more giant bow
- put trim on skirt vertical seams (or not?)
- maybe add more beads. :3

0017dk1p

My cat likes hiding under the hoopskirt:
8x2qjt

Last edited:

Thanks so much for the tips and advice! Very helpful :D I can't wait to see photos of your shoot! You will look amazing!
By the way, I'm also on the Disney cosplay thread and loved your Rapunzel. Also, a couple of years ago I briefly said hello to you at the DL Halloween party when you were blue Aurora. I was Snow White and my friend was Briar Rose :)

no problem!
Oh, that's cool! I remember you ladies! :D

This is looking amazing so far, I can't wait to see it completed

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

I am always amazed at the work people do on this site. Taking a 2d gown idea, and making a 3d version that's pretty much identical just blows my mind.

The gown is amazing, and the "peasant" dress looks like you just stepped out of a disney movie.

Very cool work :)
Chris

Stunning! That wig is crazy :D (in an amazing way). I think the bows are going to look incredible, too.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back