BB-8 Toy

I just got the sphero for my birthday from the wife. :D

My phone and tablet aren't compatible with the app so can't download it :cry

For some reason, it is compatible with my wife's phone, which is a good few versions of android behind mine, so it runs but the phone is struggling to run the app. What I've been able to do so far I've been rather impressed with.

But She's gone out now and I'm sat looking at a very nice paper weight. Anyone know any ways round this or how often they are updating the app to fix the compatability?

Minimum requirement right now is Android 4.4 KitKat OS. My galaxy note 2 wasn't compatible, (running 4.3) and T-mobile has no plans to update the OS as far as I can tell. I ended up buying another device just to run the BB-8. I got a Kocaso Nova One phone for $99. I figure I can use it as a back up phone in a pinch. It's a really nice device for the money. and works really well with the app. The only feature I see not working is the hologram function. Hopefully that will get fixed. But the voice commands and everything else was very responsive and worked flawlessly. Groupon has a Kocaso tablet right now for $50 running 4.4. You might consider that. And you can even get it in BB-8 orange. For full compatibility I did download the app on an ipad and everything worked, including the hologram feature, but you'd be spending a bit more $ on that device.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking into a new device there a few 7" tablets at round £50-60. So that may be an option.

Whats bothering me though, is that my android is 4.3 but the wife's is 4.1.2, the whole phone is a real clunker. Mine is an S3, so its old but still somewhat decent. I just don't get how hers works and mine doesn't. And that worries me for getting another device, don't want to find that it doesn't work either.

Edit: Turns out hers is 4.4.2, got it confused with the tablet. It really is struggling with running the app.

Last edited:
Best cat toy ever. (My little buddy hiding in the box actually likes it best. He actually thinks he's sneaking up on it by hiding in that box. My other cat just gets annoyed by it...)

catsbb8.jpg

I am really disappointed to learn of the OS issues. While the Sphero will work on my phone it won't on my Asus tablet. My tablet HAS bluetooth!!!

Came home to one yesterday. Wife ordered it. I'm kinda glad I didn't. The charm wore off for me in about 5 minutes.

My girlfriend bought herself the Hasbro one a couple weeks ago. Hasn't stopped playing with it, she loves it, thinks the roly poly wobble it has is really cute.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back